or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Do I wear a pocket square for a court appearance in prison?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do I wear a pocket square for a court appearance in prison?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Dude is dressed better than 99 percent of the American populace and he hasn't even left the prison grounds! Norwegian Killer Says Solitary Confinement, in 3-Room Suite, Violates His Rights http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/world/europe/anders-breivik-nazi-prison-lawsuit.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Europe&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

His salute is SO twentieth century, however.
post #2 of 25
Subscribed.
post #3 of 25
WTF! Dude killed 77 people and he only got 21 years! What do you have to do to get life?
post #4 of 25
I think that's the max sentence in Norway, but it can be extended if the Court decides he's still dangerous.
post #5 of 25
Hopefully they'll show some American-liberal-style compassion and give the guy weekend furloughs.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Hopefully they'll show some American-liberal-style compassion and give the guy weekend furloughs.

You mean regular beatings and the odd shanking? That's about the only furlough a guy like that would get in American prison.
post #7 of 25
I've always been fascinated with northern European sentencing. (I know the UK is not "European" in a sense, blah blah blah, but bear with me). It takes nine or ten murder convictions before the Britlish put someone away for good.

Scandinavia? That's were Mayhem and other death metal comes from. And they used to gut priests for gold. So I get the fact that murder is not as looked down upon there as it is in the U.S.

While we are on the subject, the sentencing disparities in the U.S. are an abomination. Women are executed at much lower rates than are men, and they serve much lower sentences for the same or worse crimes.
post #8 of 25

he has a tv and playstation and dvd player, food and rent are free?

 

sounds like a good deal to me.

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

You mean regular beatings and the odd shanking? That's about the only furlough a guy like that would get in American prison.

That's TV. In real life the vast majority of prisoners are far safer inside than they would be outside.

As an example, a black male age 25-34 has about an 80 in 100,000 chance of being murdered in any given year on the outside (or so). In prison the overall rate for all prisoners is only about 4.5 per 100,000.
post #10 of 25
See? Gun control works.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

That's TV. In real life the vast majority of prisoners are far safer inside than they would be outside.

As an example, a black male age 25-34 has about an 80 in 100,000 chance of being murdered in any given year on the outside (or so). In prison the overall rate for all prisoners is only about 4.5 per 100,000.

One of the sadder stats I saw was contrasting the death rate among black males aged 18-24 serving in Iraq and Afghanistan against the death rates if they lived in Detroit.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

That's TV. In real life the vast majority of prisoners are far safer inside than they would be outside.

As an example, a black male age 25-34 has about an 80 in 100,000 chance of being murdered in any given year on the outside (or so). In prison the overall rate for all prisoners is only about 4.5 per 100,000.

LOL, I don't get my information about prison from TV. And I was referenced the treatment that this particular individual; would get, not the general prison population. Your suggestion was that in America he would be receiving weekend furloughs, which is ridiculous. He'd most likely be executed and do his time on death row until his appeals ran out.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post

One of the sadder stats I saw was contrasting the death rate among black males aged 18-24 serving in Iraq and Afghanistan against the death rates if they lived in Detroit.

I'm actually probably understating it, as it's not 80 in 100,000 per year "on the outside" -- that's overall. That number's reduced significantly because a not insignificant percentage are in prison or jail (where the death rate is even lower).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

LOL, I don't get my information about prison from TV. And I was referenced the treatment that this particular individual; would get, not the general prison population. Your suggestion was that in America he would be receiving weekend furloughs, which is ridiculous. He'd most likely be executed and do his time on death row until his appeals ran out.

A minute ago you said he'd be shanked. Ah, whatever.

They furloughed Willie Horton even though he was a murderer serving a life without parole sentence, and the pendulum is swinging back that way fast. Just listen to the Democrats pandering for votes in their primary.

Or are you saying they wouldn't let this guy out because of his race? That's offensive!
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post


They furloughed Willie Horton even though he was a murderer serving a life without parole sentence, and the pendulum is swinging back that way fast. Just listen to the Democrats pandering for votes in their primary.

 

I suppose if this is a political statement about late-80s politics, a fuller picture could help others. The furlough law that allowed for Horton's release was signed into law by a Republican governor. Of course, Dukakis is not absolved of responsibility. He had an active roll in allowing the program to continue for first degree murderers. Both Republicans and Democrats have blood on their hands for Willie Horton. Also of note, 45 states at the time allowed for prison furloughs, and the majority of those states allowed them for murderers, including Texas. Fucking Texas?!?! This was never just a pansy liberal dream.

post #15 of 25
Wait, spats still posts here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Do I wear a pocket square for a court appearance in prison?