or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me find a swearer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me find a swearer

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
So I am a college professor, and I wear a lot of merino v necks and cardigans to go with my dress shirts and tweed pants. I do some ivy style and also classic menswear, almost always with a knit tie if I wear one. I don't really wear blazers all that much, although I own a few nice ones.

I've decided I want to invest in a really nice knit sweater, and I'm thinking of a shawl collar cardigan (don't have any). Any recommendations on a nice sweater that will work with my wardrobe? I want something that will last 20 years, both in quality and style. If appreciated any brands. I don't want to spend a huge sum for some fashion name, but I'll pay for a quality made piece. Perhaps the shawl collar cardigan is not what I should be looking at? Thanks for your thoughts.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelescrest View Post

So I am a college professor, and I wear a lot of merino v necks and cardigans to go with my dress shirts and tweed pants. I do some ivy style and also classic menswear, almost always with a knit tie if I wear one. I don't really wear blazers all that much, although I own a few nice ones.

I've decided I want to invest in a really nice knit sweater, and I'm thinking of a shawl collar cardigan (don't have any). Any recommendations on a nice sweater that will work with my wardrobe? I want something that will last 20 years, both in quality and style. If appreciated any brands. I don't want to spend a huge sum for some fashion name, but I'll pay for a quality made piece. Perhaps the shawl collar cardigan is not what I should be looking at? Thanks for your thoughts.

Such an item won't be cheap. What's the budget?
post #3 of 8
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post


Such an item won't be cheap. What's the budget?

I'm generally willing to consider any well crafted item--it just might mean I can't buy it anytime soon and need to save up!  I'd be really happy if I could find something $200-$300, but I'm guessing it'd be a lot more than that.  Hopefully under $500.  I like to know why an item costs what it does as opposed to the fact that it has some trendy designer's name on there (which in some cases may be justified).  Maybe I should be careful saying I want something "really nice" here on styleforum.  I'm sure Cucinelli has some amazing cashmere piece that's $2000.  J.Crew believe it or not has a $750 or so shawl cardigan, from Italy, but yikes, it's still J.Crew!

 

I would enjoy something in the vein of SNS Herring, but I haven't seen something like what we're talking about. 

post #5 of 8
This might be more vague than wanted, but Google "Irish sweaters." There are multiple websites in that category selling items that probably fit the criteria. The one above also seems to.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam H View Post

I bought one of these last fall in navy. I like it.

http://www.blacksheepknitwear.com/collections/sweaters-for-men-and-women/products/jk24-the-jacket
How is the fit on that? And what do you all think of the ribbed vs other knit patterns. Seems like McQueen preferred the ribbed, he certainly wore it well.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

This might be more vague than wanted, but Google "Irish sweaters." There are multiple websites in that category selling items that probably fit the criteria. The one above also seems to.
That was a good tip. Briefly looking, I like this one:
http://www.aransweatermarket.com/mens-two-tone-shawl-neck-cardigan

Really hard to tell fit from these pics. I tend to prefer something that doesn't broaden me up too much.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelescrest View Post

How is the fit on that? And what do you all think of the ribbed vs other knit patterns. Seems like McQueen preferred the ribbed, he certainly wore it well.

I ordered the small wishing for it to be more fitted knowing that wool stretches. Medium would be a more traditional size for me but also look looser. I wear mine with the top button rolled and a fitted silhouette so it almost looks like a knit shawl collar jacket which was my goal when I bought it. I would say buy it in the size you would normally buy a sweater in if you want the looser, more casual fit or go down a size if you want it to be sleeker.

I like the ribbing on the sweater, especially given how I wear it. If you mean alternatives like cable knit, I don't own any but if I did I think they would be crew necks. I like plain vneck sweaters, ribbed shawls, and then patterned knits always seem to make the most sense on crew necks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me find a swearer