or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailor in London for a classic navy three piece wedding suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tailor in London for a classic navy three piece wedding suit - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1v View Post

Just had a look at Andy Livingstone's website, and I have to say I really like the pictures. But I won't have time to go up North alas.
If you know of anyone doing a similar style in London, I'd love to hear about it.


Other than that, I've taken your advice and got an appointment with Edward Sexton tonight (actually with Dominic), at least to have a chat. We'll see what comes out of it.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

That strange.... I refer to G Livingstone because I knew Andy do come down to London to take order / fittings.... so there is no need to go to North for visit.

Anyway enjoy your appointment with Dominic...
post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post


That strange.... I refer to G Livingstone because I knew Andy do come down to London to take order / fittings.... so there is no need to go to North for visit.

Anyway enjoy your appointment with Dominic...

 

Oh actually I hadn't thought about that, but maybe you're right. I'll get in touch with him to see whether he has any visit to London planned in the days to come. 

post #18 of 37
Thread Starter 

The appointment with Dominic was very interesting, nice chap, you can feel the quality is stunning but they really are too expensive for me. I'm sure you'll always have a stunning suit with them, but the price tag is seriously hefty. Maybe one day!

 

I'll try to have a chat with Thom Sweeney and with Redwood & Feller to see how I feel about them. 

 

Might give the Allen brothers a try too (has anyone any experience with any of the two? Is one much better than the other?).

post #19 of 37
Thread Starter 

Hi there,

 

I've had a chat with a few tailors (including E Sexton, Tim Everest, Thom Sweeney), and although I don't want to go into too much details about prices, let's say they were all above £1700 for a 3 piece suit MTM. Which is a lot for me quite frankly, given that it's my first proper suit and that I'm a bit worried I might not have the experience and knowledge to spot what might go wrong.


I've just had a quick chat over the phone with Graham Browne, they seem to be noticeably less expensive for what seems to be full bespoke.

 

I've read fairly good reviews about GB (and one not so good) but I wouldn't know how it compares to high end MTM such as Everest or Sweeney.

Would anyone happen to have experience with both and could give me their thoughts?

Again, what I'd like would be a dark blue 3 piece suit with a horseshoe DB waistcoat, fairly strong and rope shoulders, and not too soft, quite formal.

 

It would be very helpful to hear from you

 

Will

post #20 of 37

Maybe this could be an option...

 

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2016/02/whitcomb-shaftesbury-final-suit-great-value-bespoke.html

 

I'm tempted to try them myself later this year when I'm in London

post #21 of 37

If you're willing to consider MTM, Steed's half-canvassed suits would be an option within your price range.

post #22 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso View Post
 

Maybe this could be an option...

 

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2016/02/whitcomb-shaftesbury-final-suit-great-value-bespoke.html

 

I'm tempted to try them myself later this year when I'm in London

 

My word, that looks really good, thanks for the suggestion! I could be fooled by the pictures that are very good, but comments seem to say it looks very well done. A bit over my budget, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post
 

If you're willing to consider MTM, Steed's half-canvassed suits would be an option within your price range.

 

I'm willing to consider anything really. Even ready to wear with alterations if I could find a well cut RTW suit (but again, I'm not sure I see how much better MTM or bespoke is compared to RTW adjusted since I've never experienced either personally).

I have a suit from SuitSupply adjusted by Joe Allen in Islington which I regularly get a lot of compliments about. The trouble is I'd have to have the waistcoat done seperately, not sure where, but that could work I suppose. I've been suggested Copperfield's (near Moorgate). I'll go and have a look (terrible reviews on Google though...).

 

The only thing with Steed's MTM is that, being a Savile Row tailor, the price almost sounds "too" reasonable and I haven't found much feedback on their MTM service. Have you tried them yourself?

 

Thanks a lot for you suggestions anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you think about RTW with alterations. 

 

Will

 

#Edit: I saw a post from 2009 saying Steed's MTM suits were fused. Not sure if it's still true.

post #23 of 37

I have several Steed MTM suits and a sport coat. The quality is high, Edwin DeBoise takes your measurements personally, he evaluates fit and adjustment, and you get access to all of their fabric books. The prices are still significant but competitive with similar products, so I don't think it falls into the "too good to be true" category. I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.

 

There's also nothing wrong with a good RTW suit that fits well and is adjusted by a competent alterations tailor.

post #24 of 37
Thread Starter 

I'm glad to hear that Mr. Six, I'll certainly pay them a visit to get an feeling of the place.

Thanks a lot for the tip.

post #25 of 37
Thread Starter 

Ok I've narrowed it to two finalists:

 

- Redwood & Feller, who I met with yesterday and had a very nice chat

- Steed, who I haven't met yet but seems like a very good deal for me, too

 

Any thoughts? (I've asked Steed for an appointment, haven't got back to me yet)

post #26 of 37

Peckham Rye, just off Carnaby Street. Adam of London (Shener) Notting Hill also does good quality peg suit, which I think they'll MTM. Might be quicker than going full bespoke 

post #27 of 37
Steed are on tour in the USA at the minute, so any delay will be down to timezones/travelling/appointments
post #28 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntempleman View Post

Steed are on tour in the USA at the minute, so any delay will be down to timezones/travelling/appointments

 

Indeed. I think they're supposed to be back next week. I'm simply wondering whether it's really worth waiting or if I should go ahead with R&F (if their quality is on par, then I might as well get started with R&F).

 

And thanks for the suggestions Lord Mulberry, but I've talked to a few tailors now and have got to stop looking as I'm running out of time. Peg suits MTM would be a good option if I wasn't looking for some specific details (peak lapels, DB waistcoat, plus a few other tweaks I'd quite like), so I've given up on RTW.

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1v View Post

Ok I've narrowed it to two finalists:

- Redwood & Feller, who I met with yesterday and had a very nice chat
- Steed, who I haven't met yet but seems like a very good deal for me, too

Any thoughts? (I've asked Steed for an appointment, haven't got back to me yet)

Both are the real deal (although I haven't tried them personally).

You probably realise this, but I think you need to get moving fast. IME a first bespoke suit takes a minimum of 3 months and needs 3 fittings. Make clear to the cutter that it's for a wedding and must be done in time (agree a deadline a fortnight the wedding day before in case there are last minute changes). Make sure they are sure they can do it in time!
post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post


Both are the real deal (although I haven't tried them personally).

You probably realise this, but I think you need to get moving fast. IME a first bespoke suit takes a minimum of 3 months and needs 3 fittings. Make clear to the cutter that it's for a wedding and must be done in time (agree a deadline a fortnight the wedding day before in case there are last minute changes). Make sure they are sure they can do it in time!

 

I do. I've given them 1st of May as deadline to be sure I'm alright for mid May. Also it would be semi bespoke, so a tad faster (2 fittings one week apart, then they send the suit abroad to have it built, but they're cut by them here in London).

I'm glad to hear you think both of them are really good, that's reassuring; what I think I'll do is see if Steed get back to me over the weekend. If they do I'll try to meet with them on Monday/Tuesday, if not, I'll just move on and go with R&F with whom I've had a good impression anyway.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailor in London for a classic navy three piece wedding suit