or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Justice Scalia Has Died
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Justice Scalia Has Died

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Senior-Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php

The craziest presidential election in recent memory will get a little crazier.
post #2 of 37
Yeah, just saw this. 79 doesn't seem old, but I suppose it is.
post #3 of 37
Damn. I really liked his opinions and found my self agreeing with him more than may politics might suggest. A great legal mind indeed.
post #4 of 37
Oh god.
post #5 of 37
LOL, so people are suggesting Obama wait and not appoint another Justice. Why on Earth would they even waste their time. The president gets to appoint Justices, its one of the major perks. It's not like republican Presidents have ever put appointing on hold so the other team would have a crack at it.
Nor should they have.

Really stupid political BS, as usual.
Edited by NorCal - 2/13/16 at 7:40pm
post #6 of 37
It couldn't come at a worse time.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

LOL, so people are suggesting Obama wait and not appoint another Justice. Why on Earth would they even waist their fucking time. The president gets to appoint Justices, its one off the major perks. It's not like republican Presidents have ever put appointing on hold so the other team would have a crack at it. Nor should they have.

Really stupid political BS, as usual.

That is basically a thorough dicsussion of Cruz's career.
post #8 of 37
Obama can nominate all he wants. Confirmation is the trick. His last two nominees were the judicial equivalents of Obamacare and the stimulus. If he actually wants another he needs to nominate someone the senate would confirm without a democrat super majority. Good luck with that one.
post #9 of 37
Lol at all of the long time Republican senators (McConnell, the guy who chairs the judiciary committee, etc.) who are saying the nomination should wait/be stalled...

...when they all had no problems confirming Kennedy in February of Reagan's last year.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Yeah, just saw this. 79 doesn't seem old, but I suppose it is.

Old enough if you're fat and a heavy smoker, as he was. Of course when I was younger, 79 was regarded as a very considerable old age. Nowadays, it seems any death before the mid-80s is starting to seem somewhat premature!
post #11 of 37
Yeah, the calls for Obama not to appoint another woman or minority is very lame. (0)
post #12 of 37
^At the very least it will give him another opportunity to do what he does best and divide people on race/gender by using this as the reason republicans are blocking his appointee.
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

^At the very least it will give him another opportunity to do what he does best and divide people on race/gender by using this as the reason republicans are blocking his appointee.

Republicans would not only be stupid to block his appointee's approval they would be in the wrong. Obama gets to appoint Scalia's replacement; end of story. Anyone that argues against that is being very disingenuous. However, just because Obama is in the right on the appointment, doesn't mean he won't play his own style of politics.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Republicans would not only be stupid to block his appointee's approval they would be in the wrong. Obama gets to appoint Scalia's replacement; end of story. Anyone that argues against that is being very disingenuous. However, just because Obama is in the right on the appointment, doesn't mean he won't play his own style of politics.

Right. But I hope the threat of a block will make him appoint someone deserving who is palatable to both sides regardless of race and gender.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post

Right. But I hope the threat of a block will make him appoint someone deserving who is palatable to both sides regardless of race and gender.

Agreed. This sort of calculus is actually theoretically how politics should work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Justice Scalia Has Died