or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 30

post #436 of 4019

More Pre-Basel Excitement

 

Could we see a Blueberry GMT:

 

AppleMark


Or maybe a Panda Daytona (ceramic bezel)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Disclosure: This is speculation.


Edited by BostonHedonist - 3/3/16 at 12:00am
post #437 of 4019
^^ I could get behind a ceramic coke GMT in SS.
post #438 of 4019
I could do the blueberry.
post #439 of 4019

The Panda dial is interesting but will make it harder for me to ever see a SS Daytona for purchase.  Stores are more than happy to let me try on a precious metal one.  As for the GMT, the dark blue seems too close to black to get people excited.

 

If I had to guess, it seems like the Explorer 1 and 2 and the Submariner are waiting for a change.  Something other than smurf blue or green?

post #440 of 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
 

 

Saw this guy out at a watch gathering earlier this week.  A rare bird considering the Tiffany & Co stamp

 

That's Rob's right?

post #441 of 4019
Richardo
post #442 of 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

The Panda dial is interesting but will make it harder for me to ever see a SS Daytona for purchase.  Stores are more than happy to let me try on a precious metal one.  As for the GMT, the dark blue seems too close to black to get people excited.

 

If I had to guess, it seems like the Explorer 1 and 2 and the Submariner are waiting for a change.  Something other than smurf blue or green?

 

The idea of a "Blueberry" GMT wouldn't interest me.  It's not different enough from the BLNR, and I like the Blue/Black contrast.  

 

Not sure we will see a change with Ex 1s or Ex2s.  The 39mm Ex1 and the Orange hand Ex2s are less than 10 years old, which is still rather young in general life span of a Rolex model.  The previous Explorer II (16570) was in production for something like 20 years.  Although with increased competition I'm not sure if Rolex will let a model last that long.  

 

While Rolex has introduced new dials, new metals (rose gold), and new materials such as rubber, for use on their Daytonas, in it's basic form its 16 years old.  So it is possible that they could change it as it is one of the oldest models in their stable...but then again they let the original Daytona production run go for more than 20 years.  

post #443 of 4019
That Daytona mock-up has made the rounds before, but if they ever really came out with a SS / ceramic / panda ... and just slightly upsized to a true 40 mm?

I'd probably give my left n*t for one.
post #444 of 4019

The failure rate on Rolex's mixed-color ceramic bezels must be quite high for them to be as stingy about colors as they have. I'd be curious to learn more about how the color mixing happens. I bet the red turns to pink far too often. The blueberry might be easy to achieve if the color mixing is an additive process rather than a fusing of two separate pieces.

 

If they came out with a Coke 116710, it might make me consider trading in the 16710. But the older models are lighter and more compact, which makes them quite wearable. Not into the PCLs really. But I do love that blue Chromalight lume, and the way the light hits ceramic bezels.

post #445 of 4019
Considering I finally got a SS Daytona a month ago I wouldn't discount the possibility of a new SS version smile.gif
post #446 of 4019
LOL so poor tigerpac has jinxed himself, and effectively taken one for the team. Much obliged, friend!

And now that BH mentions it, I also should have added brushed center links to my Daytona "wish list".

Not holding my breath...
post #447 of 4019
The Panda Daytona with ceramic bezel is what I have been waiting for to pull the trigger for ages. That would be amazing.
post #448 of 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post

Considering I finally got a SS Daytona a month ago I wouldn't discount the possibility of a new SS version smile.gif

You got a great watch regardless of what happens at Basel.  Not to mention, even if they were to show a new SS version, it will take several months before any start reaching ADs, and then unless you are really "Connected" it would easily take most mere mortals a year or two before sourcing one at at AD.  The gray dealers that get them early will be selling them at well over list price for providing the privilege of being one of the first kids on the block to own one.   

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View PostI also should have added brushed center links to my Daytona "wish list".

Not holding my breath...

Yea...I'd like to see brushed center links on Daytona bracelets again... but considering Daytonas have had PCLs for roughly the last 24 or 25 years I wouldn't count on it.

post #449 of 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

You got a great watch regardless of what happens at Basel.  Not to mention, even if they were to show a new SS version, it will take several months before any start reaching ADs, and then unless you are really "Connected" it would easily take most mere mortals a year or two before sourcing one at at AD.  The gray dealers that get them early will be selling them at well over list price for providing the privilege of being one of the first kids on the block to own one. .

 



Totally agree. Plus who knows how it would actually feel on the wrist. But still.... smile.gif
post #450 of 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
Totally agree. Plus who knows how it would actually feel on the wrist. But still.... smile.gif

Keep in mind, if they do come out with a new SS model with ceramic bezel... but it will most likely also come with a new price.  Not to mention, although a lot of folks were quick to unload their 16520 Daytonas to get the latest 116520 (which had a more advanced movement, better bracelet, and better clasp), and a few years later all the 16520s went up in value considerably.  So regardless of whether there is or is not a new SS Daytona, maybe you got in at the right time ;)  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)