or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 168

post #2506 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

In light of some of the recent discussion of 35 versus 38 mm for Nomos, thought I would try to take a picture that shows more accurately how the 38 wears on a very flat 7 inch wrist.



Holy bat lugs, Batman.
post #2507 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post
 

In light of some of the recent discussion of 35 versus 38 mm for Nomos, thought I would try to take a picture that shows more accurately how the 38 wears on a very flat 7 inch wrist.

 

 

That's just gorgeous.

post #2508 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoch View Post


Appreciate the suggestions and points from both you and @mafoofan on buying here or in Europe and from an AD. Frank over at watch-lounge has confirmed that the watch he'll be sending me is from a European AD, and I think I am going to try this route. He seems to have a good reputation and the price looks good.

Which watch did you decide to buy?

Is the vendor letting you pay with a credit card rather than bank wire? That would go a long way toward alleviating any worries you might have.
post #2509 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze_rob View Post

@chanoch

Give Al from Rockwell Amstrong a ring. The last I checked he was still an AD for GO. He's based out of CT. I've dealt with him a number of times when he was an AD for IWC.


Just for future reference, if it helps anyone else-- I've also dealt with Al and had a good experience.
post #2510 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Which watch did you decide to buy?

Is the vendor letting you pay with a credit card rather than bank wire? That would go a long way toward alleviating any worries you might have.

That's why I'd prefer to pick an AD in Europe, rather than a grey market dealer--would feel much better about wire payment.
post #2511 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Just for future reference, if it helps anyone else-- I've also dealt with Al and had a good experience.

:fistbump:  Same here.  Had a very good experience with Al.  

post #2512 of 4566
Can anyone comment on the Seiko Spring Drive? I'm considering a Grand Seiko 9R Spring Drive. The one below is in titanium. The other watches I was considering are the Tudor North Flag (I'm not sure I like the yellow accents) IWC Ingeniur, Omega sea master aquaterra, and JLC Geophysic true second (slightly more than I want to spend and I would prefer a bracelet). Any other recommendations would be welcome. I'd prefer a bracelet as mentioned, power reserve isn't necessary but a date is.

post #2513 of 4566
Not an owner, but Grand Seikos by most accounts are great watches. They will likely remain unappreciated by most here in the US, however.

And I must say that of the others you mentioned, I'd probably go for either the Ingeniur or Aqua Terra.

The aforementioned Mr. Armstrong happens to have this blue beauty in stock, along with a few other models.....and I'm sure he would make you a fair deal biggrin.gif

http://armstrongrockwell.com/Omega/023110422103003_LG.JPG
post #2514 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anm1984 View Post

Can anyone comment on the Seiko Spring Drive? I'm considering a Grand Seiko 9R Spring Drive. The one below is in titanium. The other watches I was considering are the Tudor North Flag (I'm not sure I like the yellow accents) IWC Ingeniur, Omega sea master aquaterra, and JLC Geophysic true second (slightly more than I want to spend and I would prefer a bracelet). Any other recommendations would be welcome. I'd prefer a bracelet as mentioned, power reserve isn't necessary but a date is.


I think the JLC is the easy winner of the bunch:



One of the best looking models they've put out in years. The others you've mentioned are very meh in my book. That said, these are all very different watches. Not sure what your criteria are.

What about a Rolex?
post #2515 of 4566
Yea an explorer one fits the criteria. I think the IWC might be the best looking but even discounted the price for what you get is tough to swallow.

In regards to what I'm looking for the idea was loosely a tool watch hence the bracelet, and date something that could work in all but very formal situations and don't have to baby. If the JLC came on a bracelet this would be easy, I also kind of like the idea of a power reserve on this type of watch.
post #2516 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post


Just for future reference, if it helps anyone else-- I've also dealt with Al and had a good experience.


Thanks for putting me onto Al. Had a great chat with him and he made me a fantastic offer for a gold Senator Date Lunar, but it's still outside my budget. Seems he may be dropping the GO line, from what I gathered of our conversation, which would be a shame and it means he won't be getting in the stainless version I've been considering. An old-timer (sorry for the pun) with almost 40 years in the trade, who struck me as a really good guy and for sure knowledgeable, reasonable, and reliable.

post #2517 of 4566
Well, credit to firenze_rob for mentioning Al first, but I'm glad to hear that you found him to be helpful. I think the one thing that made the biggest impression on me, was a hand-written note that he sent after my purchase several years ago. Very simple, and probably took him all of 60 seconds, but a nice touch nonetheless. And he also sent me an IWC polishing cloth along with my watch. It's the little things in life...
post #2518 of 4566


A couple of you suggested that I try Al over at Armstrong Rockwell, which I did. Wonderful fellow. He asked me to pass on word to my online friends here that he's selling his last six GO watches at 50% off. I would dearly love the Senator in gold, but it would put me way over my budget and that's that ... You may find something of interest there.

 

http://www.armstrongrockwell.com/glashuetteoriginal.htm

post #2519 of 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoch View Post


A couple of you suggested that I try Al over at Armstrong Rockwell, which I did. Wonderful fellow. He asked me to pass on word to my online friends here that he's selling his last six GO watches at 50% off. I would dearly love the Senator in gold, but it would put me way over my budget and that's that ... You may find something of interest there.

http://www.armstrongrockwell.com/glashuetteoriginal.htm

I'll reiterate the same advice as before: call around to European authorized dealers. You will find that the prices versus grey market will be comparable, but you will have the added security of working with an authorized dealer, which is extra important when you are talking about wiring large sums of cash overseas.
post #2520 of 4566
@mafafoon

I took your advice and tried ADs in Europe, though only two; only one even replied to my request about a discount, but it was a very instructive reply. They would give me the VAT, but nothing else. I believe the reason is that they are selling the discounted ones through grey market vendors (they didn't say so directly, I figured that out after a few other conversations with two ADs here and one very helpful American grey market seller). This keeps their sales up, making GO happy to continue dealing with them, while avoiding the ire of customers complaining to GO or others about unfair pricing. BTW: I've talked to several grey market and AD vendors since your advice (which as you can see I very much appreciated and took to heart), and it's the same here as in Europe, at least for GO watches. Insofar as GO now forces vendors to take more watches than the smaller ADs can handle, they need to offload them to grey market partners.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)