Holy bat lugs, Batman.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek... Last post on 2/12/16 at 8:21pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- A Man Adrift, Pt II - April 28, 2015 Last post on 4/29/15 at 4:29pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:37 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 3:57 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 168post #2507 of 45667/26/16 at 12:51pmpost #2508 of 45667/26/16 at 1:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by chanoch
Appreciate the suggestions and points from both you and @mafoofan on buying here or in Europe and from an AD. Frank over at watch-lounge has confirmed that the watch he'll be sending me is from a European AD, and I think I am going to try this route. He seems to have a good reputation and the price looks good.
Which watch did you decide to buy?
Is the vendor letting you pay with a credit card rather than bank wire? That would go a long way toward alleviating any worries you might have.post #2509 of 45667/26/16 at 1:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by firenze_rob
Give Al from Rockwell Amstrong a ring. The last I checked he was still an AD for GO. He's based out of CT. I've dealt with him a number of times when he was an AD for IWC.
Just for future reference, if it helps anyone else-- I've also dealt with Al and had a good experience.post #2510 of 45667/26/16 at 1:23pmQuote:
That's why I'd prefer to pick an AD in Europe, rather than a grey market dealer--would feel much better about wire payment.post #2511 of 45667/26/16 at 2:12pmpost #2512 of 45667/26/16 at 6:18pmCan anyone comment on the Seiko Spring Drive? I'm considering a Grand Seiko 9R Spring Drive. The one below is in titanium. The other watches I was considering are the Tudor North Flag (I'm not sure I like the yellow accents) IWC Ingeniur, Omega sea master aquaterra, and JLC Geophysic true second (slightly more than I want to spend and I would prefer a bracelet). Any other recommendations would be welcome. I'd prefer a bracelet as mentioned, power reserve isn't necessary but a date is.post #2513 of 45667/26/16 at 8:01pmNot an owner, but Grand Seikos by most accounts are great watches. They will likely remain unappreciated by most here in the US, however.
And I must say that of the others you mentioned, I'd probably go for either the Ingeniur or Aqua Terra.
The aforementioned Mr. Armstrong happens to have this blue beauty in stock, along with a few other models.....and I'm sure he would make you a fair deal
http://armstrongrockwell.com/Omega/023110422103003_LG.JPGpost #2514 of 45667/26/16 at 8:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by Anm1984
Can anyone comment on the Seiko Spring Drive? I'm considering a Grand Seiko 9R Spring Drive. The one below is in titanium. The other watches I was considering are the Tudor North Flag (I'm not sure I like the yellow accents) IWC Ingeniur, Omega sea master aquaterra, and JLC Geophysic true second (slightly more than I want to spend and I would prefer a bracelet). Any other recommendations would be welcome. I'd prefer a bracelet as mentioned, power reserve isn't necessary but a date is.
I think the JLC is the easy winner of the bunch:
One of the best looking models they've put out in years. The others you've mentioned are very meh in my book. That said, these are all very different watches. Not sure what your criteria are.
What about a Rolex?post #2515 of 45667/26/16 at 8:43pmYea an explorer one fits the criteria. I think the IWC might be the best looking but even discounted the price for what you get is tough to swallow.
In regards to what I'm looking for the idea was loosely a tool watch hence the bracelet, and date something that could work in all but very formal situations and don't have to baby. If the JLC came on a bracelet this would be easy, I also kind of like the idea of a power reserve on this type of watch.post #2516 of 45667/27/16 at 2:54amQuote:
Thanks for putting me onto Al. Had a great chat with him and he made me a fantastic offer for a gold Senator Date Lunar, but it's still outside my budget. Seems he may be dropping the GO line, from what I gathered of our conversation, which would be a shame and it means he won't be getting in the stainless version I've been considering. An old-timer (sorry for the pun) with almost 40 years in the trade, who struck me as a really good guy and for sure knowledgeable, reasonable, and reliable.post #2517 of 45667/27/16 at 7:18amWell, credit to firenze_rob for mentioning Al first, but I'm glad to hear that you found him to be helpful. I think the one thing that made the biggest impression on me, was a hand-written note that he sent after my purchase several years ago. Very simple, and probably took him all of 60 seconds, but a nice touch nonetheless. And he also sent me an IWC polishing cloth along with my watch. It's the little things in life...post #2518 of 45667/27/16 at 10:09am
A couple of you suggested that I try Al over at Armstrong Rockwell, which I did. Wonderful fellow. He asked me to pass on word to my online friends here that he's selling his last six GO watches at 50% off. I would dearly love the Senator in gold, but it would put me way over my budget and that's that ... You may find something of interest there.post #2519 of 45667/27/16 at 10:23amQuote:Originally Posted by chanoch
A couple of you suggested that I try Al over at Armstrong Rockwell, which I did. Wonderful fellow. He asked me to pass on word to my online friends here that he's selling his last six GO watches at 50% off. I would dearly love the Senator in gold, but it would put me way over my budget and that's that ... You may find something of interest there.
I'll reiterate the same advice as before: call around to European authorized dealers. You will find that the prices versus grey market will be comparable, but you will have the added security of working with an authorized dealer, which is extra important when you are talking about wiring large sums of cash overseas.post #2520 of 45667/27/16 at 11:40am@mafafoon
I took your advice and tried ADs in Europe, though only two; only one even replied to my request about a discount, but it was a very instructive reply. They would give me the VAT, but nothing else. I believe the reason is that they are selling the discounted ones through grey market vendors (they didn't say so directly, I figured that out after a few other conversations with two ADs here and one very helpful American grey market seller). This keeps their sales up, making GO happy to continue dealing with them, while avoiding the ire of customers complaining to GO or others about unfair pricing. BTW: I've talked to several grey market and AD vendors since your advice (which as you can see I very much appreciated and took to heart), and it's the same here as in Europe, at least for GO watches. Insofar as GO now forces vendors to take more watches than the smaller ADs can handle, they need to offload them to grey market partners.
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Cars We Drive! 46 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 53 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 4 minutes ago
- › NWT Eidos Chiaia Grey/Taupe Herringbone Wool Raglan Sleeve Overcoat... 5 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 12 minutes ago
- › 2017 50 Book Challenge 13 minutes ago
- › Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...