or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 163

post #2431 of 3927
I hope y'all forgive my beginner question...

If I see roughly the same price on eBay as on chrono24 as on WatchRecon, should I assume I wouldn't find it cheaper anywhere else?

I am simply in love with the JLC Memovox "Tribute to Polaris '68." (I desire the tribute watch for price considerations, obviously). I see it for about $13K-$13.5K listed in most places. I've never purchased a watch from any of the sites I've named above. Would I expect to pay that list price or should I find things to be somewhat negotiable, either directly to those sellers or via ADs offline?
post #2432 of 3927
@chanoch - the GO senator is a fine watch. I like that grey PanoLunar but understand your reservations.

@Handcuffed - I used to love that Polaris a lot. The price tag seem rather high to me, and my OCD would preclude my getting a watch with Plexi as I couldn't bear the scratches even though I know they could be buffed out regularly..
post #2433 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoch View Post
 

OK, have done another round or two indulging myself with various watches, keeping in mind our discussion and my own varied responses. Here's what I've seen, not seen, and worn:...

 

Given my positive response to the Senator -- which quite frankly surprised me, as I hadn't been much taken with Roman numerals before, preferring indices -- I think I will wait a bit until the new GO Senator Excellence hits the streets. I really like the simplified design, and the new movement sounds really intriguing -- that 100 hour power reserve seems a positive achievement, in that I can put it aside from Friday afternoon until Monday morning and not run into the low power mode that would cause it to lose a lot of time. Not sure what the board thinks of this new GO, as there can't be many who have tried it on, but I would of course as always be interested in your views.

 

For now, and until the Senator Excellence arrives in NY (expected in two months), I am going to keep trying these now and then, taking the advice of one of you to make multiple stops. My moods definitely shift, and trying the watches on a few times is easy enough, and should help me make my final choice.

 

I really like the GO Senator line of watches (actually, the only GOs I don't like are the Panos).  The Senator has classic looks that are not trendy, and will stand the test of time. We can all agree that their movements are very high quality and their watches are generally a good value.  I haven't seen the new Senator Excellence in person, but it sounds very promising.  Of the watches you have tried on, the Senators are my favorites.  

 

As for Nomos, you already own one, so you sort of have an idea of what you are getting with one, however, it may be nice to have something from a completely different brand, with a different design philosophy and a different feel.

 

I really like JLC, but the MUT has never really done much for me.  Its a great watch, but I'd much rather have a Reverso.  

 

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.   

post #2434 of 3927
Thread Starter 
The Senator auto is very appealing. I feel a tyre-kicking session coming. Pretty much on the $5k too, grey market.

I love the Senator Perpetual, though again it's the dark dial that gets me. Was my favourite, until I saw that crazy Seventies...
Edited by mimo - 7/20/16 at 9:47am
post #2435 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

I really like the GO Senator line of watches (actually, the only GOs I don't like are the Panos).  The Senator has classic looks that are not trendy, and will stand the test of time. We can all agree that their movements are very high quality and their watches are generally a good value.  I haven't seen the new Senator Excellence in person, but it sounds very promising.  Of the watches you have tried on, the Senators are my favorites.  

 

As for Nomos, you already own one, so you sort of have an idea of what you are getting with one, however, it may be nice to have something from a completely different brand, with a different design philosophy and a different feel.

 

I really like JLC, but the MUT has never really done much for me.  Its a great watch, but I'd much rather have a Reverso.  

 

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.   

Thanks for these comments, Dino, much appreciated. Tourneau says September for the Senator Excellence, and GO responded to my email asking about the delivery schedule saying that they've been shipped, but the company rep wasn't sure to which stores or boutiques (GO does not have a boutique in North America, would you believe ...). But for now that Senator line is my favorite of all the watches I've considered, and I can wait a bit to see if I prefer the new Excellence and if it seems worth the extra $$$ for a fair-trade price, as discounts won't be available until more watches are in circulation. As I discovered when I bought my Metro in its relatively early days, grey market discounts (assuming that I can find a reliable dealer) don't happen immediately.

post #2436 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The Senator auto is very appealing. I feel a tyre-kicking session coming. Pretty much on the $5k too, grey market.

I love the Senator Perpetual, though again it's the dark dial that gets me. Was my favourite, until I saw that crazy Seventies...

Yes, those dark dials are lovely. Wish I could see the seconds hands better ... And, yes, a tire-kicking session is in the offing as soon as the Senator Excellence arrives. Will stop by Tourneau this week to ask my favorite sales rep there to hold one for me so that I can kick it, as you say.

 

BTW: While I was at Tourneau's yesterday trying on this and that, I saw the Cartier Rotonde. Absolutely stunning piece of work. The sales rep put it through its paces for me and it's just a marvel of beauty and ingenuity.

 

http://www.tourneau.com/watches/pre-owned-cartier/18k-white-gold-rotonde-de-cartier-day-and-night-manual-limited-edition-wi550151-VCA14122.html

 

post #2437 of 3927
Thread Starter 
Not sure about that one personally, though it's certainly got personality.

Regarding discounts, the flip side is that deals on the current Senator are going to get even better when the new one arrives.
Edited by mimo - 7/20/16 at 10:20am
post #2438 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoch View Post

 

BTW: While I was at Tourneau's yesterday trying on this and that, I saw the Cartier Rotonde. Absolutely stunning piece of work. The sales rep put it through its paces for me and it's just a marvel of beauty and ingenuity.

 

http://www.tourneau.com/watches/pre-owned-cartier/18k-white-gold-rotonde-de-cartier-day-and-night-manual-limited-edition-wi550151-VCA14122.html

The Cartier Rotonde Day/Night is an amazing piece from their discontinued (or as they like to say "Retired") Privee Collection.  One of my friends has this Rotonde Day/night in pink gold and its as much artwork as it is a horological masterpiece.  It's definitely an interested way to tell time.  Production on these was very limited.  They have done I believe 2 variations of the day/night watch since this original model (at least one of the newer versions incorporating a GMT function), however this model is IMHO the most elegant of the bunch.  I actually prefer many of their older Privee pieces to their current "Fine Watch Making Collection."  Thanks for sharing a very cool Cartier  Cheers!

post #2439 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handcuffed View Post

I hope y'all forgive my beginner question...

If I see roughly the same price on eBay as on chrono24 as on WatchRecon, should I assume I wouldn't find it cheaper anywhere else?

I am simply in love with the JLC Memovox "Tribute to Polaris '68." (I desire the tribute watch for price considerations, obviously). I see it for about $13K-$13.5K listed in most places. I've never purchased a watch from any of the sites I've named above. Would I expect to pay that list price or should I find things to be somewhat negotiable, either directly to those sellers or via ADs offline?


Ebay is a good place to get unique or used items, but otherwise people tend to overpay on Ebay.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winner%27s_curse

 

Basically, by winning an auction you are paying more than every other person interested in the item was willing to pay - which usually means you overpaid.

 

But if you're looking for a used item, it's a good place to get a deal.

post #2440 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakticala View Post
 


Ebay is a good place to get unique or used items, but otherwise people tend to overpay on Ebay.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winner%27s_curse

 

Basically, by winning an auction you are paying more than every other person interested in the item was willing to pay - which usually means you overpaid.

 

But if you're looking for a used item, it's a good place to get a deal.

Yeah I don't buy that argument at all.

It means that they spent what the minimum was to buy it. 

post #2441 of 3927

On a brighter note... 

beautiful lines, textures, and reflective surfaces abound.

post #2442 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

On a brighter note... 

beautiful lines, textures, and reflective surfaces abound.

:inlove:  Quite possibly the 1 watch I'd keep if I had to be a 1 watch kind of guy.  Love the RO :cheers:

post #2443 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handcuffed View Post

I hope y'all forgive my beginner question...

If I see roughly the same price on eBay as on chrono24 as on WatchRecon, should I assume I wouldn't find it cheaper anywhere else?

I am simply in love with the JLC Memovox "Tribute to Polaris '68." (I desire the tribute watch for price considerations, obviously). I see it for about $13K-$13.5K listed in most places. I've never purchased a watch from any of the sites I've named above. Would I expect to pay that list price or should I find things to be somewhat negotiable, either directly to those sellers or via ADs offline?

 

A few things:

 

-In this case you could find it cheaper elsewhere if you actually wait.  In fact if you check WatchRecon right now you'll find it notably cheaper as a new listing just went up, though it doesn't even have a single picture of the watch.  (No, it's not my watch, just noticed it after reading your post).  I actually saw one a few months back for about $9300 if I recall correctly.  It was with an established grey dealer and I should have probably jumped on it, though I don't recall the condition.  So you will probably see it for less if you continue to wait as listings like the one that just popped up on WatchRecon will probably pop up from time to time.  Of course you have to consider a couple of things with that.  How long do you want to wait as the longer you wait the less time you have to enjoy it on your wrist.  I personally am young enough and patient enough to wait, but that may not be the case for yourself.  Also, if the price is less what is the condition of the watch?  I recall seeing some notable scratches on the caseback of one I saw listed around your range and it's also plexi instead of crystal, though it came with a spare plexi from what I can tell.  Conversely you may also want to take into account that there are a few listings out there that are definitely higher than the range you mentioned and so there may be some risk that it only goes up from here.  That said as someone who has looked at listings for a lot of these JLC tribute watches for the past 12 months or so I can tell you that generally from time to time one comes up for sale and it's generally lower than some of the listings out there at that moment.  I've seen listings for the SS Geophysic 1958, Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm, Tribute to Polaris and even the Thin Tribute Reverso 1931 with the Casa Fagliano strap at below what I'd previously seen.  Of course this a range and I'm not seeing them say every month at that sort of pricing, but if you're patient I would think you should definitely be able to do better than what you're seeing.

 

-Some of the sellers you're seeing out there are on multiple sites like say WatchRecon and eBay.  I've noticed the same watch listed in multiple spots.

 

-I've also noticed that at least two of the sellers who still have the watch available in your price range have had it listed for several months and so they've literally been sitting on it for that time.  Of course that doesn't always mean that they are going to be willing to move a lot on their price as they may be in for it for a certain amount that they want/need to get out of it, but you might find one of them is willing to budge a ways.  

 

-I'd be quite surprised if you can find one at an AD (assuming you meant AD and not a grey dealer) as I think they've likely been sold out for some time.  The watch was a limited edition and it was released something like five years ago.  If you were able to find one at an AD they might be willing to deal with you some, or they might know that they've got one of the few unworn ones out there and stay firm on price.  Still I can't imagine an AD sitting on one, but you never know.

 

Anyway, best of luck with your search.  I know what it's like.  Just note you may have some competition from someone on this forum.  ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakticala View Post
 


Ebay is a good place to get unique or used items, but otherwise people tend to overpay on Ebay.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winner%27s_curse

 

Basically, by winning an auction you are paying more than every other person interested in the item was willing to pay - which usually means you overpaid.

 

But if you're looking for a used item, it's a good place to get a deal.

 

I don't complete agree, though in defense of that logic it isn't stated that's the case all the time.  Anyway, it certainly doesn't apply to everything as not everything on eBay is an auction and in those cases you can make an offer.  I did that with my Reverso and at the time it was for what I would say was market value when my offer was accepted.  Since then I've seen them for slightly lower, notably higher and substantially higher.  The catch is that in no case was the condition of the watch in the condition that mine was in when I bought it.  

 

I also think there's a time component here as well.  You can proxy bid on eBay of course, but not everyone bids what they'd be willing to pay before the auction ends.  I know at times I haven't because I thought I could get it for less and then I missed out. 

 

You also have to consider that some of these items such as a limited edition watch aren't available anymore or anywhere else.  You could say that's a "unique" item as you noted, but then that's for the most part what he's looking at in this case with the Polaris.

 

One final thing of note is the value to the buyer.  The value to the buyer could be considerably more than market value and in such case to them they didn't overpay.  

 

At the end of the day I wouldn't use eBay much for more modern watches, but I also wouldn't write it off either.  And even if one were to pay more on eBay they would get some safeguards that if I'm not mistaken buying via wire from somebody on a forum doesn't provide.

post #2444 of 3927
There's a lightly used VC for sale that I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on. It's more than 40% off of retail price...
post #2445 of 3927

Do it :slayer:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)