Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 151

post #2251 of 5729
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

I have a soft spot for AP because they're independent.
 

And a hard spot for VC because they're Richemont. ;)

post #2252 of 5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

And a hard spot for VC because they're Richemont. wink.gif
Nah, I like watches of theirs that actually look good. wink.gif

But if there were two watches that I liked equally, I'd favour the independent over the conglomerate-controlled one at buying time. Especially these days. cold[1].gif
post #2253 of 5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Does it disqualify me from the discussion of VC's quirkiness (or lack thereof) to admit that I've always had a bit of a "watch crush" on the Millenary?

Cause it's kinda weird peepwall[1].gif

 

Keith, liking the Millenary doesn't disqualify you from the VC quirkiness discussion...mistaking the Millenary as a VC product does!  ;)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

The AP Millenary?

I find that some versions are quite groovy. The dowdy ETA-like date window on the basic model is a bit of a disaster, but a few other designs seem to work much better — and they're at least a bit distinct from the generic-expensive-watch look. Plus I have a soft spot for AP because they're independent.

Its a cool case shape, but I think AP botched the marketing and focus of Millenary collection early on, which resulted in it being a model people just did not understand.   It seemed like they couldn't decide what direction to go with it...should it be a dress watch or a sports watch?  They seemed to be dress watches with the time only, day-date, and triple calendar models.  Then they tried to go for sporty with a military dial version, chronograph on a bracelet, and some Maserati branded version.   I think a lot of AD's got stuck with them.  However, I did like the limited run of Millenary Star Wheel (Jump hours). A friend had on in rose gold and photos definitely did not do it justice.  

 

Also, they are the last of the older high end companies that is still owned/controlled by the founding family.  

post #2254 of 5729
Ooookay. So, this was the one I have always kinda liked.

WARNING: this pic is spoilered for a reason:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Yes, it's a...colorful ....garish... mess of a watch.

Don't judge me. LOL.



But regarding any VC "quirkiness", my thoughts on some of their recognizable design flourishes would be as follows...

Cow horn lugs? Pretty damn cool.

Placing a crown in the corner of a case, rather than the side? Also cool.

Asymmetrical just for the hell of it (1972)? Maybe pushing it.

Exposed date wheel? Eh...not so much.

Great watchmaker though. And they can't ever go too far afield with a collection called "Traditionelle", right? I actually respect VC quite a bit, and would hope to own something from them before my watch appreciating days are over.

Like any other brand, they will have some hits and misses for any individual's taste....one man's quirky is another man's nightmare.
post #2255 of 5729
Thread Starter 
I like the rotating date marker on the QdI a lot more than the thoughtless window on the Millenary. I can understand it makes for a busy dial, but at least it's a deliberate feature. I hate those "oh yeah, and then make a hole about there for a date" things that look like an afterthought.

Anyway, variety is the spice of life. Not sure about the contrast stitching on a gator strap - bit of a mismatch for me - but the watch is good crazy (bar the stupid date smile.gif )
post #2256 of 5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Ooookay. So, this was the one I have always kinda liked.

WARNING: this pic is spoilered for a reason:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Yes, it's a...colorful ....garish... mess of a watch.

Don't judge me. LOL.



But regarding any VC "quirkiness", my thoughts on some of their recognizable design flourishes would be as follows...

Cow horn lugs? Pretty damn cool.

Placing a crown in the corner of a case, rather than the side? Also cool.

Asymmetrical just for the hell of it (1972)? Maybe pushing it.

Exposed date wheel? Eh...not so much.

Great watchmaker though. And they can't ever go too far afield with a collection called "Traditionelle", right? I actually respect VC quite a bit, and would hope to own something from them before my watch appreciating days are over.

Like any other brand, they will have some hits and misses for any individual's taste....one man's quirky is another man's nightmare.

 

As much as I love AP, the only Millenary that I really liked was this one ...but if we all loved the same watch it would be a really boring place.

apmill125-1.jpg

 

As for VC, I suppose I've never thought of them as a quirky brand... as stated before, perhaps more whimsical than PP or AP, particularly in recent years.  But maybe one man's quirkiness is another man's whimsy.  

 

VC is more famous for their "Tear drop" shaped lugs than their cow horn lugs, however they have done many of different shaped lugs and cases if you look at their collections from the 1930s through the 1960s.  Then again, if one looks at vintage pieces from PP and AP, one will see they also did far more adventurous lug and case designs from the 30's through the 60's than they have done in the last 20-30 years.  

 

The Driver's watch, the American 1921 is a very cool !!!  

 

I love the 1972, but I may have a bias owned the modernized version from 2006.  However, they were not the first of the big three to do asymmetric cases.  Patek did a limited run of very collectible asymmetric cased watches in the 1950s (designed byGilbert Albert), and AP did their own symmetric case and dialed watch in the early 60's...so VC was the last to the party offering their 1972 in 1972.  

 

The rare asymmetric piece from AP that I referred to earlier.  I believe there is one in their museum.

3e4e1bdd11a9aad18c44f5f9383dda63.jpg

 

A few famous asymmetric Gilbert Albert designed Pateks...

patek_image.947916.jpg

 

The exposed date wheel of the Qdl (as abbreviated on some VC forums) just seems like a larger scale version of the modern Richemont thing of having too many dates exposed when I only need to see one. 

 

In the end I really like and respect VC, its just that recent collections have not done much to capture my heart or my $$$. 

post #2257 of 5729
Wow. That Star Wheel looks like something else entirely, considering the functional aspects of that kind of display.

And some of those vintage shapes are....quite funky. It definitely shows how even the most staid manufacturers are affected by changing styles and tastes throughout the course of decades.

I must say though: whenever I'm lucky enough to buy myself a Patek, I can guarantee you it won't look anything like a Hamilton Ventura.
post #2258 of 5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I like the rotating date marker on the QdI a lot more than the thoughtless window on the Millenary.[...]
Enough ogling of those impractical high-maintenance tarts; how are you getting on with that classic stainless beauty of yours? smile.gif
post #2259 of 5729
Thread Starter 

We are very happy together, thank you!  And she doesn't seem to mind sharing, though that isn't happening a lot yet. :)

post #2260 of 5729
I actually really like the Millenary it has a uniqueness that's quite refreshing
post #2261 of 5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Wow. That Star Wheel looks like something else entirely, considering the functional aspects of that kind of display.

And some of those vintage shapes are....quite funky. It definitely shows how even the most staid manufacturers are affected by changing styles and tastes throughout the course of decades.

I must say though: whenever I'm lucky enough to buy myself a Patek, I can guarantee you it won't look anything like a Hamilton Ventura.

Yes, that Star Wheel really ticks all the boxes for me if I were considering a Millenary.

 

It seems the Big Three offered some really interesting designs in the past, but in recent decades with men largely favoring  relatively "safe" round cases...we rarely see special case shapes today.  

 

As much as I like the Gilbert Albert models, I would simply get a vintage Ventura rather than a triangular PP that looks something like one.  All of the Patek's by Gilbert Albert, they are highly sought after and sell for many multiplies of what a Calatrava of same period or newer goes for.  An acquaintance who collects vintage Cartier and Patek...owns 3 of the 4 asymmetric Pateks and he has spent a long time chasing down the missing model to complete his collection. 

 

Here is Patek's most recent asymmetric watch from a few years ago (ref 5489).  I didn't like it in the box, and I liked it even less when I tried it on (for the heck of it).  IIRC, its not only wider at the top, its also thicker at the top of the case.  I just did not like anything about it. 

23042-1.jpg

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarDubaibanker View Post

I actually really like the Millenary it has a uniqueness that's quite refreshing

While its not the right piece for everyone, with the right dial it can be a very cool watch !!!  

post #2262 of 5729
Thread Starter 
Nice, Dino. I don't think I actually would want it, but I really think that design hangs together. Were that their modern complications had such clarity.
post #2263 of 5729

I know this is an appreciation thread and not a buying advise thread but can anyone recommend a watch up to 2000euros ? I was eyeing on Nomos as it fits my style.

post #2264 of 5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalroamer View Post

I know this is an appreciation thread and not a buying advise thread but can anyone recommend a watch up to 2000euros ? I was eyeing on Nomos as it fits my style.

mid 80s DJ. On the lower end, Weiss and Stowa are really catching my eye for knock arounds.
post #2265 of 5729
A used IWC Mark XV.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)