Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek... Last post on 2/12/16 at 8:21pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- A Man Adrift, Pt II - April 28, 2015 Last post on 4/29/15 at 4:29pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:29 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 10/19/16 at 2:44am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 16post #227 of 34802/20/16 at 2:41pmpost #228 of 34802/20/16 at 10:34pmpost #229 of 34802/20/16 at 10:37pmI'm looking for some help. A friend of mine is trying to buy a "vintage" gold Rolex with an onyx facing and black leather band. I've found some photos of online of some desirable models, particularly models 1803, 1601, and 16078, but I haven't found any prices. Anybody have any idea what these models (particularly circa 1970 models) go for? Less than mint condition isn't a dealbreaker, but functionality is. We're hoping to find something under $4k. Is that feasible? Sorry if these questions are stupid. I know nothing about watches. If there's any other pertinent information or caveats we'll need to find one of these, let me know.post #230 of 34802/20/16 at 10:50pmThread Starterpost #231 of 34802/20/16 at 10:53pmpost #232 of 34802/21/16 at 4:22amQuote:Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm looking for some help. A friend of mine is trying to buy a "vintage" gold Rolex with an onyx facing and black leather band. I've found some photos of online of some desirable models, particularly models 1803, 1601, and 16078, but I haven't found any prices. Anybody have any idea what these models (particularly circa 1970 models) go for? Less than mint condition isn't a dealbreaker, but functionality is. We're hoping to find something under $4k. Is that feasible? Sorry if these questions are stupid. I know nothing about watches. If there's any other pertinent information or caveats we'll need to find one of these, let me know.
If your friend wants the watch case in all gold, I think he may find himself be much closer to $5K (just due to the gold case). For under $4K I think he will probably need to consider a steel and gold case (essentially a steel case with gold bezel and gold winding crown)...although it may be tougher to find a steel and gold one with an onxy dial. Good luck!post #233 of 34802/21/16 at 4:29pm
So the brother-in-law is looking for a new watch. He likes bigger, louder watches than me so I'm a little out of my element. Went shopping with him today and found some good stuff. He liked this one and I gotta say, not too shabby. Anybody have any experience with this guy or something similar?post #234 of 34802/21/16 at 5:57pmpost #235 of 34802/21/16 at 7:40pmpost #236 of 34802/22/16 at 12:26amQuote:Originally Posted by culverwood
I have used Jean Rousseau but there are plenty of watch band makers out there. If you are after something chunkier Sabel Saddlery do bespoke ones.Quote:Originally Posted by johnnilcru
Those are some mouth-watering watches in here. Mine has a pretty worn out strap and, for the first time, I am seriously considering replacing it with a leather one. I found a pretty nice one at Lucrin, https://www.lucrin.com/watch-strap-men.htm , however, I know not how reliable they are. They have pretty nice reviews for their Apple watch band, but nothing on their classic watch straps. Other brands I'm considering are Hirsch, Shinola and Daniel Wellington.
Has anyone else had to replace their watchbands here? What other good brands are there out there?
I'm liking the Jean Rousseau ones a lot. However, I'm strongly tempted to take a leap of faith with Lucrin. They have a wider variety of color customizations but Rousseau proposes a much wider range of materials to choose from. I'll look for more 3rd person opinions on the matter and will make the purchase tomorrow. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the watchbands.post #237 of 34802/22/16 at 3:08ampost #238 of 34802/22/16 at 3:09ampost #239 of 34802/22/16 at 3:18amThread Starterpost #240 of 34802/22/16 at 6:22amQuote:
Yes. Both work fine for me for strap changes. Like you said, practice is key, or you could quick-change spring bars. The last set of Camille Fournet straps I ordered had these. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer. Ofrei has a tool to make these, but it costs 400 dollars.
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Colin Kaepernick is an a-hole 26 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 47 seconds ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › Site Topics - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 4 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 4 minutes ago
- › Obama's Unravelling 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...