or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 133

post #1981 of 3929
Nice write up Blaugrana.

Were you in NYC? We may have crossed paths since I was doing some watch window shopping as well.

I went to the Omega boutique first to check out the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. I will preface this by saying that I'm a dress watch guy and don't own any divers, butwoukdlike a nice waterproof watch for the beach. I really liked the Seamaster, but as you say the thickness was a real sticking point. The dial is great and surprisingly I preferred the look of the black dial to the blue. I thought I'd be put off by the dial size but it looked great. I wasn't a fan of the polished center links on the bracelet, and as you say the watch is so thick. I'm not sure I could pull it off. Maybe I'm not meant for dive watches.

Then I went to Wempe for some general browsing. I looked at some Tudor Black Bays but the dial didn't wow me nearly as much as the Seamaster. Then I saw a Sub no date. It is very competent. Looks-wise it's a 7/10 compared to the Seamaster but there are no real flaws to it and I guess there is a reason it's considered the dive watch standard. Not sure I like it enough to buy it though.

Then I went to the JLC to check out Reversos. They are doing away with the previous sizing system, at least for men. Now, the standard Reverso will comin in small, medium (similar in size to The Grand Taille case) and large. The small is quartz, and the medium and large are automatic (yuck!) The seconds hand is gone. I'm not a fan of these changes, and I think I'd look for a used Grand Taille in steel or Sun Moon if I wanted a fancier watch.
post #1982 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA View Post

So can I just suggest that someone here please go pay Dino a visit and do a TWAT edition Talking Watches with him?  I've been posting here long enough to know that seems to have a really interesting collection of which we rarely get to see.  Let's get that vault open!  smile.gif

Have camera/video equipment. Willing to travel.
post #1983 of 3929

my favourite divers..

 

AP Diver, the original model. Occasionally, I am tempted for a trade with the carbon model (as it is lighter) but steel version still looks better

 


underrated but equally impressive Ploprof.. 

 

post #1984 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

@BLAUGRANA and @OmarDubaibanker thanks guys !  Although, I believe everything I own has been posted at some time within the last 2+ years.  I think you would be disappointed to see I don't own an insane number of watches, and I don't own any crazy complicated pieces like tourbilons or grand complications.  Most are just pieces I like that fit into my lifestyle.  

 

Anyway, I meant to share some photos from a recent vaction when Mrs. Dino and I went to DC and visited some friends.  The brunch table would have made the folks at Richemont very happy.  Below are a few photos.  I knew my friend had purchased a Reverso for herself within the last year, but I did not know her husband had also purchased something interesting from JLC.  He started out with a Breitling Aerospace that he had in the late 90s, put in his pocket and lost in a taxi in NYC in the early 2000s.  He wanted a good quality, reasonably priced chronograph to replace the Brietling and I introduced him to IWC.  So he ended up purchasing a titanium IWC GST chronograph.  That seemed to cover him for many years.  After a promotion, his wife bought him a Squadra.  However, he recently decided he wanted a watch that has all the info he might want to know on a daily basis.  Enjoy the photos...

 

Brunch with our friends at the Jefferson Hotel in DC.  My Cartier Pasha 950 and his JLC.

 

Wive's with watches...Mrs. Dino with the large auto Tank Francaise, my friend wearing her manual wind Reverso

 

Me trying on my friend's JLC Perpetual Calendar

 

 

I've only seen you post a few pieces.  I haven't been on for the past two years though so that's probably why.  Either way quality over quantity and I'm interested in great looking watches regardless of their complications.  

 

Wow, that's quite the get together.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_horton View Post

Nice write up Blaugrana.

Were you in NYC? We may have crossed paths since I was doing some watch window shopping as well.

I went to the Omega boutique first to check out the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. I will preface this by saying that I'm a dress watch guy and don't own any divers, butwoukdlike a nice waterproof watch for the beach. I really liked the Seamaster, but as you say the thickness was a real sticking point. The dial is great and surprisingly I preferred the look of the black dial to the blue. I thought I'd be put off by the dial size but it looked great. I wasn't a fan of the polished center links on the bracelet, and as you say the watch is so thick. I'm not sure I could pull it off. Maybe I'm not meant for dive watches.

Then I went to Wempe for some general browsing. I looked at some Tudor Black Bays but the dial didn't wow me nearly as much as the Seamaster. Then I saw a Sub no date. It is very competent. Looks-wise it's a 7/10 compared to the Seamaster but there are no real flaws to it and I guess there is a reason it's considered the dive watch standard. Not sure I like it enough to buy it though.

Then I went to the JLC to check out Reversos. They are doing away with the previous sizing system, at least for men. Now, the standard Reverso will comin in small, medium (similar in size to The Grand Taille case) and large. The small is quartz, and the medium and large are automatic (yuck!) The seconds hand is gone. I'm not a fan of these changes, and I think I'd look for a used Grand Taille in steel or Sun Moon if I wanted a fancier watch.

 

Thanks!  I was actually in Chicago myself.  I drove down and was able to snag meter parking, but that limited my time.  Like I said in my post Nomos was the main reason I went down, however had I known I wasn't going to be very moved by them I would have put the time in elsewhere.  That stop was a bit further out of the way and I spent plenty of time trying on some of their models.   

 

I wouldn't say I'm a dress watch guy as I like some variety, but I figure a diver is my next move.  Thinking about the Seamaster quite a bit today.  The dial is amazing, but what I really loved was how small it looked/wore for being a 41mm.  I don't know what your thoughts were, but for me it wore smaller in that regard than the Submariner did.  My guess is that it's down to the case, lugs and lack of a crown guard.  It just had this vintage diver look for me based on the size because it seemed 40mm at most.  And the polished center links aren't even an issue for me.  I asked the girl I was working with about getting them polished by Omega, which I read somewhere is an option, and she wasn't so sure.  In fact she commented something about trying to make it like the Bond watch to which I basically replied "no" because the Bond watch pretty much is a copy.  I also said how I prefer it to the Spectre watch because I prefer the seconds hand to the lollipop and I also prefer the bezel.  Anyway, the polished links wouldn't be an issue as I would likely never wear the bracelet on the watch.  The one drawback right now is that thickness.  I could get it under my shirt cuff, but just barely.  And I didn't notice the thickness looking down at it on my wrist, but I could see it when I moved my arm around.  I also didn't really feel it in that the watch was uncomfortable as it was not.  I'm really torn at the moment because I feel like the thickness would bug me a bit, but everything else is pretty spot on and I can't see an alternative apart from the Tribute to Deep Seas which are pricier and only available in the after market.  I mean it's not like they're going to make another Seamaster that looks like that that's thinner.

 

I liked the Submariner when I tried it and even the maxi dial ticks enough of the "vintage" look for me as the watch hasn't changed much over time.  One thing that stands out for me though is that you can essentially get a Seamaster for $3000 less.  Now I wouldn't say that one should purchase one or the other based on that, but it's interesting considering how nice the Seamaster is apart from the thickness.

 

I'd have to see the Reversos individually to decide.  The seconds hand doesn't necessarily do a lot for me, but one of the new releases had a seconds hand that I actually liked.  What I didn't like about that one though is that it's a duoface.  If one were to really be looking into a Reverso I have seen quite a few of the higher end Tribute to 1931 models out there and they're quite reduced.  That said I prefer the standard Tribute to 1931 Reverso than those and they're at least half the price as well.  

post #1985 of 3929
Enjoyed reading your thoughts on all those great brands, BLAUGRANA, There's nothing like going on a great "tyre-kicking" excurion to fire up the horological imagination. Been awhile since I've made the rounds like that and checked out a bunch of pieces in person.

I personally get something like a "window shopping high" when I'm doing it right smile.gif

Sounds like it was a worthwhile trip. And certainly you've got some interesting stuff to think about before making that next purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

Leffot has some good ones. Gonna go pick one up tomorrow actually.

^^^Be sure and share a pic if you bring home a really nice one icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

^ Nice choice. The Offshores don't get a lot of love here but I happen to like them for what they are - excellently crafted over-engineered monsters for casual wear.

Not really a fan of most Offshores either, although I agree with your assessment of them being well-crafted.

So I think that will remain a family of watches that I will only ever admire from afar, if you know what I mean.

But I really do enjoy seeing them posted here

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Just wanted to share images of a couple of new straps, Natural and Color 4 shell cordovan "Single Pass" straps, courtesy of @Deusis
at Guarded Goods leather. The color 4 arrived yesterday and I love it. Shown here on my Seamaster, the first mechanical watch I bought around 2000-01.

Color 4 Shell on Seamaster:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






Natural Shell on GMTIIC:







Natural Shell on Seamaster:



After careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that the GMTIIC works best on a bracelet. I've tried a variety of straps with this watch over the years, from croc to NATO and I always come back to the OEM bracelet. The Omega OTOH, works great on these awesome shell masterpieces!


Wow. I'm a big time strap-swapper on my 2254.50 as well. (Mesh / rubber / NATO / Zulu). Never have tried a shell strap, though.

Seems like guys tend to use those leather and cordovan straps more on vintage pieces, but I do like the contrast on your Omega.

Maybe someday I will check out something like that, just to mix things up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alpyigit View Post

my favourite divers..

AP Diver, the original model. Occasionally, I am tempted for a trade with the carbon model (as it is lighter) but steel version still looks better
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


underrated but equally impressive Ploprof.. 



Two great divers fing02[1].gif

And that Ploprof is a real BEAST size-wise but looks great on your wrist.
post #1986 of 3929
I agree, the Seamaster wears small for it's size, which is a big plus for me. That thickness, though...
Edited by tim_horton - 6/5/16 at 5:18pm
post #1987 of 3929
First time foray into this thread so be gentle please. Anyway, I am thinking about buying an actual nice watch (currently only have fashion watches like Burberry Michael kors etc). But the thing is, I know nothing about the movements etc so I don't know if I'd "appreciate" what makes these watches so special. But I do love the way some of them look, specially BM Capeland, IWC Portugieser/Pilot, and Nomos Tangomat/Ahoi. I know the question of whether something is "worth it" is in the eye of the beholder, but I guess my question is, knowing basically nothing about watches, would a purchase of one of the above be justified just due to aesthetics? Or would I be better off just sticking to cheaper ones from fashion companies that I look the looks of?
post #1988 of 3929
You've got to like the look of the watch before you start and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. By asking the question you have indicated you are after more than just looks, perhaps "authenticity", perhaps "quality" whatever the reason you are buying a watch from a watchmaker not a fashion designer which means something to people interested in watches.

How much cash do you have? Is buying a relatively expensive watch going to mean you cannot buy something else? If you do decide to buy "an actual nice watch" it may be the start of a slippery slope and next you will want an even nicer one!
post #1989 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpyigit View Post

my favourite divers..


underrated but equally impressive Ploprof.. 



Is this the reissue or the original?
post #1990 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post

You've got to like the look of the watch before you start and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. By asking the question you have indicated you are after more than just looks, perhaps "authenticity", perhaps "quality" whatever the reason you are buying a watch from a watchmaker not a fashion designer which means something to people interested in watches.

How much cash do you have? Is buying a relatively expensive watch going to mean you cannot buy something else? If you do decide to buy "an actual nice watch" it may be the start of a slippery slope and next you will want an even nicer one!

Thanks for the response. As for the cash question, I could comfortably spend 10-15k without any impact on disposable income for other things. This is why I'm thinking about it.
post #1991 of 3929
Thread Starter 
I could not. However: incoming!
post #1992 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captm2016 View Post

First time foray into this thread so be gentle please. Anyway, I am thinking about buying an actual nice watch...., but I guess my question is, knowing basically nothing about watches, would a purchase of one of the above be justified just due to aesthetics? Or would I be better off just sticking to cheaper ones from fashion companies that I look the looks of?

No one starts out as an expert in watches or knowing a lot about movements.  A lot of people start out liking a certain design.  Then from there, they do some research, and try a few pieces on to see what they think of a particular watch in terms of how it fits and looks on their wrist, and determine whether their interests warrant a purchase.  All of the watches you mentioned are worth considering, but its really up to you to determine what you want to wear on your wrist or how to spend your hard earned money. Good luck with whatever you decide.  

post #1993 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I could not. However: incoming!

lurker[1].gif
post #1994 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captm2016 View Post


Thanks for the response. As for the cash question, I could comfortably spend 10-15k without any impact on disposable income for other things. This is why I'm thinking about it.

That about sorts it. If 10-15K is your budget, and will see zero negative impact on other facets of your life, get whatever tickles your fancy.

 

You may consider getting 2 (or more) with that 10-15K, to give you a wider arsenal. As aesthetics is your primary concern, the cost shouldn't necessarily be your guiding light...especially since Nomos is in the mix.

post #1995 of 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze_rob View Post


Is this the reissue or the original?

 

It's the re-issue. 

 

The original looks quite different - the numbers on the bezel are very different, the bezel has more narrowly-spaced fluting or knurling (or whatever the appropriate word is) on the original, and the same goes for the crown. Also, the bezel-release pusher/button on the original is bright red plastic, whereas it's more of an orange, brushed-metal look on the re-edition.

 

Original:

 

 

Re-edition:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)