or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 124

post #1846 of 3927

@alpyigit

The Blancpain FF is indeed an impressive piece; it is also very retro. Now, if bought years ago and displayed it's a profession of style, however not something I would buy today to show I'm retro fashion aware. 

 

The Glashütte has wonderful classical watches; both to look at, and as movements go. 

The only thing that bothers me with the majority of dress watches is the lack of structured dials; they all look so flat. Louis Moinet shows how it can be done. The Rolex Cellini date is also a step forward as far as dials go. 

___

Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
bronze: 

A friend of ours, Frills, summed it up nicely saying something to the effect of,  "It looks like it comes with a free UPS delivery man uniform."  

However, if it puts a smile on your face, then go for it. 

___

After you've gunned it down with such grace, it can be hardly imagined it's going to put a smile on anyone's face. 

post #1847 of 3927
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaus View Post
 

The Rolex Deepsea is wonderful, except the thickness! it's 18mm thick (0,7inch)!!! one needs a permission to wear cold arms with that on your wrist. :sly: 

 

The Planet Ocean has great discounts everywhere, since an updated model is coming out in a few months; presented in Basel, the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Master.

-an improved Master Chronometer movement; more precise and with highly antimagnetic properties (15.000Gauss) 

-new case size - the three-hand Master Chronometer Planet Ocean is 43.5mm wide

-new ceramic (or titanium) dials (nicer-looking than the outgoing lacquer dials)

-updated 6, 9, and 12 applied Arabic fonts

 

reference prices are 5.800€ strap, 5.900€ steel bracelet. 

-----

Tissot brand is not worth the typing time.

I agree completely and profoundly on what you've put down about Tudor :D 

 

Panerai? very particular; for another type of person. 

 

Yes, the Deep Sea is a top-heavy beast.  But it's a real diver.  So what are you saying about the PO?  You're waiting for the new model?  But isn't the existing one the size you wanted in the first place, and now much better value?

 

That's a daft thing to say about Tissot - proven movements, long history, silly to dismiss a brand purely on the basis that ordinary folks might buy it.  But you're right about Panerai - a very personal matter of taste, and so recognisable at a distance which you either love or hate.

post #1848 of 3927
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Recent pick up
post #1849 of 3927


I've got a co axial aqua Terra and a Pam 210, thinking of changing the omega to a strap
post #1850 of 3927
post #1851 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Yes, the Deep Sea is a top-heavy beast.  But it's a real diver.  So what are you saying about the PO?  You're waiting for the new model?  But isn't the existing one the size you wanted in the first place, and now much better value?

 

That's a daft thing to say about Tissot - proven movements, long history, silly to dismiss a brand purely on the basis that ordinary folks might buy it. 

I would dare to presume, that one in a million goes to dive with a dive watch :)) 

The current Planet Ocean sizes were right on the paper; tried them on the wrist; the smaller one proportions are not done right (the case thickness vs diameter is just too clunky), did not sit right and the dial look too shrunk compared to the sheer size of the outer metal shell. 

The bigger version looked alright, only in my opinion the case is too big.

The new one should be just right, judging by the data; of course one has to try it on the wrist before giving conclusions. 

 

Tissot is just everywhere here in EU; nobody looks twice after it, since the pieces are just unrefined, it's not about "anyone can buy it".

 

post #1852 of 3927
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybear View Post

Recent pick up

 

Very likable; congratulations.  Less is more.

post #1853 of 3927
A very very old 12kt gold Universal Geneve (anyone have an estimate of age?)



post #1854 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

 

A friend of ours, Frills, summed it up nicely saying something to the effect of,  "It looks like it comes with a free UPS delivery man uniform."  

 

Ahahaha I do remember messaging you about that observation!

post #1855 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Very likable; congratulations.  Less is more.


Thanks. I dropped it off at the Beverly Hills Panerai dealer so I don't even have it right now but I can't wait to wear it again.
post #1856 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Not sure if the 5296 is specifically your desired watch and that is why it's being compared to the Lange 1.  However, your statements about thickness would still apply to the VC and the Patek 5054 that I referenced, both which are closer to a L1 in terms of offering similar additional functions to telling time.  

Ah yes, I recall your dislike of the gold chatons.  Its all personal preference, but much of what happens with watch designs is a way of distinguishing themselves from others.  Blue'd screws - some watches have them, some its just chemically done (not through heating), others don't bother at all, but it doesn't affect a watches performance.  I've seen JLCs that have them, and VC's with the same base movement that don't.   As for your design for show rather than substance...I can't help but chuckle a little.  One can purchase something that is all substance for a heck of a lot less than a Patek, Lange, AP, VC etc.  So on some level, your choice regardless of brand is about show.  

As for boring watches, well maybe I'd choose boring over some of Patek's more recent tasteless pieces with engraved cases.   However, when considering more subdued normal watches - while there is nothing wrong with boring, I don't see it as a virtue.  Boring can be safe, and there can be comfort in that... but boring is one of the reasons I've struggled for years to find a basic "Relatively affordable" Patek that I really wanted to own. 

Anyway, wishing you luck on your next watch adventure and I look forward to seeing what you eventually choose. 

5296 is not the watch I'm looking at, but it is a good benchmark. The 5054 you referenced is far less comparable--it has an officer's case, with a hinged back, which adds another 2+ mm to the thickness. Anyway, I provided very specific commentary in my last post regarding the thickness required for the complications in question.

I didn't say chatons impact performance one way or another. But they don't decorate anything necessary for the movement (unlike blueing of screws, Geneva waves or perlage on plates, etc.), which is why I don't personally like them.
post #1857 of 3927

Happy Memorial Day - Hope everybody has a great day with friends and family

 

post #1858 of 3927
I wish the 5196 with Breguet numerals wasn't platinum only.
post #1859 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


5296 is not the watch I'm looking at, but it is a good benchmark. The 5054 you referenced is far less comparable--it has an officer's case, with a hinged back, which adds another 2+ mm to the thickness. Anyway, I provided very specific commentary in my last post regarding the thickness required for the complications in question.

I didn't say chatons impact performance one way or another. But they don't decorate anything necessary for the movement (unlike blueing of screws, Geneva waves or perlage on plates, etc.), which is why I don't personally like them.

While you addressed thickness required for the complications in question... ref 5054 is not less comparable because of its case.  One should consider its movement & complications and the case Patek chose to house them in for the 5054.  How can we criticize Lange for using a case that is thicker than necessary for the complications of the L1, but then give Patek a pass for doing the same thing on their 5054?   Patek made a design choice over a functional choice and chose to put it in thicker officer style case.    When Lange's competitors such as Patek and VC produced watches with similar complications (day, date, moonphase, small seconds etc), and they also choose to put them in thicker cases than they need to use...I find it difficult to find fault with Lange for not using a thinner case for their L1.  Anyway, whether you agree or not, it seems some of your issues regarding thickness,function/design...can also be applied to other high end watches.  

 

I did not say that you claimed chatons impact performance.  As for why you dislike them that's fine, we all have our personal preferences.  

 

IIRC, you seemed to have a dislike for their movements years ago, so I was rather surprised you mentioned considering the L1.    

 

Wishing you luck with whatever watch you choose next. 

post #1860 of 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

While you addressed thickness required for the complications in question... ref 5054 is not less comparable because of its case.  One should consider its movement & complications and the case Patek chose to house them in for the 5054.  How can we criticize Lange for using a case that is thicker than necessary for the complications of the L1, but then give Patek a pass for doing the same thing on their 5054?   Patek made a design choice over a functional choice and chose to put it in thicker officer style case.    When Lange's competitors such as Patek and VC produced watches with similar complications (day, date, moonphase, small seconds etc), and they also choose to put them in thicker cases than they need to use...I find it difficult to find fault with Lange for not using a thinner case for their L1.  Anyway, whether you agree or not, it seems some of your issues regarding thickness,function/design...can also be applied to other high end watches.  

I did not say that you claimed chatons impact performance.  As for why you dislike them that's fine, we all have our personal preferences.  

IIRC, you seemed to have a dislike for their movements years ago, so I was rather surprised you mentioned considering the L1.    

Wishing you luck with whatever watch you choose next. 

Come again?

No one is getting a "pass" for anything. The 5054's officer case is thicker because it has an added feature, the hinged back. The Lange 1 case does not have a hinged back and cannot be made any thinner. The watch is thicker than it needs to be because of the movement, the design of which was compromised to look "German" and evoke the company's distance history in pocket watches and marine chronometers.

This all touches back on a previous point about good design not playing a big enough role in watchmaking, which I entirely agree with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)