I snagged that Mark XV
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek... Last post on 2/12/16 at 8:21pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- A Man Adrift, Pt II - April 28, 2015 Last post on 4/29/15 at 4:29pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:01 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 2/13/17 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 75post #1111 of 51974/1/16 at 12:42pmpost #1112 of 51974/1/16 at 1:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Belligero
I've noticed that almost everyone wants oversized watches when they start getting into them, then most tastes seem to develop toward preferring more-traditional sizing.
I'm glad I held onto my 356, even though I initially thought it too small. The big watches got stale fast, and I've never missed them since they were gone.
So true. And I'm really bummed that I sold my 356 even though I do think it's a tad small. I bought it in 2001 direct from a German dealer. It was less than half the price of the only US Sinn AD at the time. I sold it in 2010 for a great deal more than I paid but now 6 years later, I wish I kept it.
These days I don't have a chronograph in the rotation and I keep lusting after the IWC 3713 Doppelchrono. I've been half-heartedly looking for one for years now. At 41-42mm, I think its the perfect size pilot's chrono. Maybe one of these days...post #1113 of 51974/1/16 at 2:29pmQuote:
Well...i'm looking to simplify. And by simplify I mean paying for a Journe. Also, I think it's time to put away the sports watches of youth.post #1114 of 51974/1/16 at 2:33pmQuote:
I had a 3713 Spitfire which was pretty cool. But the layout of the dual pushers was awkward on the wrist. Also, I find myself rarely timing one thing, let along two.post #1115 of 51974/1/16 at 2:36pmpost #1116 of 51974/1/16 at 3:35pm
Nice pickup. Enjoy it. Cool that it's almost a decade old but completely unworn.Quote:
Youth? How old are you? I hear you though. Going after a piece like that, depending on your budget and means of couse, would mean that it probably should see significant wrist time. That's why in part why I've held off on some of the watches you're selling. Would rather just put the money towards a Lange. You really do have some nice pieces there though and you definitely have good taste.Quote:
A lot of the watches I want probably wouldn't see more wrist time than what I currently own. On top of that they'd also take away wrist time from the watches that I already own and love. Love my Reverso, but my Geophysic has really given me pause to think I could live with just that watch it's so versatile.post #1117 of 51974/1/16 at 4:22pm
After staying content with my collection for a few years, I started the search again. I didn't have any specific parameters, just looking something that I would find as personally enjoyable as my current set of watches. I've found two items that really capture two parts of this hobby that I find so enjoyable, and figured I would share.
First, video about the hand-made, personal nature of a Dornblueth watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDvs3IH_0A
And second, the Hodinkee article about the extreme precision and research Rolex devotes to its watches: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
Two very different approaches to watchmaking, but both very fun to learn more about.post #1118 of 51974/1/16 at 5:09pmQuote:
Interested in the 3594. Are there any corrosion on the hands?post #1119 of 51974/1/16 at 5:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
Youth? How old are you? I hear you though. Going after a piece like that, depending on your budget and means of couse, would mean that it probably should see significant wrist time. That's why in part why I've held off on some of the watches you're selling. Would rather just put the money towards a Lange. You really do have some nice pieces there though and you definitely have good taste.
A lot of the watches I want probably wouldn't see more wrist time than what I currently own. On top of that they'd also take away wrist time from the watches that I already own and love. Love my Reverso, but my Geophysic has really given me pause to think I could live with just that watch it's so versatile.
I fully encourage you to indulge in purchasing all of my stuff!
I just find myself gravitating to the same stuff, sports chronos from the 60s and 70s. Looking to change it up.post #1120 of 51974/1/16 at 6:47pmpost #1121 of 51974/2/16 at 8:22amThread Starterpost #1122 of 51974/2/16 at 8:37ampost #1123 of 51974/2/16 at 8:41ampost #1124 of 51974/2/16 at 8:42ampost #1125 of 51974/2/16 at 12:00pm
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 9 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...