• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asparagus!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
asparagus.jpg
Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies. It's crunchy, juicy, easy to cook, and has great flavors. What's not to like? So, I've got insomnia, and since my semester is over for me, I'm indulging in all the late-night TV shows. I'm watching a show about some Asparagus Festival in Stockton, CA. The host guy says that the bigger the asparagus, the more tender it is--while holding up one about 1" in diameter (I can't ever find something that big locally). In any case, my experience says that the bigger the asparagus is, the older it is. Thus, it's more likely that the skin be stringy and chewy. What say ye? Feel free to share your favorite asparagus recipes too. Mine is very simple: asparagus lightly tossed in olive oil, lots of garlic, sea salt, and pepper. On the show tonight they showed some asparagus dipped in batter and deep fried. Yumm! I'll definitely do this soon.

Biscione

Reaction score
Whenever I make tempura I love using asparagus (that's probably the 'deep frying' you saw, although tempura doesn't use a standard batter), and I also do something quite similar to what you mentioned, but otherwise I'm not crazy about it. I prefer broccoli. However, I completely agree with you about that whole size thing. Generally larger vegetables and fruits aren't as good as smaller ones, but perhaps we're both wrong.

What's not to like, you ask? Pungent urine, DarkNWorn.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
Whenever I make tempura I love using asparagus (that's probably the 'deep frying' you saw, although tempura doesn't use a standard batter), and I also do something quite similar to what you mentioned, but otherwise I'm not crazy about it. I prefer broccoli. However, I completely agree with you about that whole size thing. Generally larger vegetables and fruits aren't as good as smaller ones, but perhaps we're both wrong. What's not to like, you ask? Pungent urine, DarkNWorn.
Tempura, eh? I'll keep that in mind. What I saw on the show was way too think to be a tempura-style deep fry. I don't actually dislike the pee smell. It's an acquired smell, sort of like the morning after a night of beer drinking. Usually, the better the beer the night before, the more pungent the pee smell the morning after.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know someone probably has a lot of insider tips regarding asparagus, but I digress.

I have no idea how to cook anything, but I do like asparagus. I especially like cream soups made with asparagus, and also white asparagus.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I know someone probably has a lot of insider tips regarding asparagus, but I digress.

Let's hear it, man.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coolest thing about asparagus is drinking a bunch of water when you eat it and then taking a fragrant piss that Garcia Marquez first wrote about in 100 Years of Solitude.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
MMMMMM just steamed asparagus with the olive oil, sea salt and pepper like you were talking about...... honestly it is so worth it!

but in my little town, most places don't sell asparagus out of season.... so i fulfill my cravings by eating more bacon. I think i'm confusing threads here

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who cannot smell a difference? I have a friend who had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the phenomenon - he did a bit of research and found out that some of the population can smell the difference and some cannot.

Here's some more info on this fascinating topic...

Asparagus is filled with sulfur-containing amino acids that break down during digestion into six sulfur-containing compounds. These can impart a unique smell to urine as they are excreted. "It's the same sulfur group that makes skunks smell," said Barbara Hodges, a dietician with Boston University's nutrition clinic, the Evans Nutrition Group.

Scientists remain divided on why people have different urinary responses to eating asparagus. One camp thinks only about half of the population have a gene enabling us to break down the sulfurous amino acids in asparagus into their smellier components. Others think that everyone digests asparagus the same way, but only about half of us have a gene that enables us to smell the specific compounds formed in the digestion of asparagus.

"There's something of a dispute," said Dr. David Stollar, chairman of biochemistry at Tufts University Medical School.

The unusual smells are nothing to worry about, though. According to the Dictionary of Medical Syndromes, which includes an entry on the urinary excretion of odoriferous components of asparagus: "The syndrome does not have any pathological significance."

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost always 'roast' mine now -- either in a saute pan on the stovetop or on a baking sheet in the oven. Tossed with a little butter and olive oil to start... maybe some parmesan and balsamic or lemon juice at the end. Mmmm, we eat asparagus at least 3 times per week.

ps. goes great with bacon, why fight it?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
I almost always 'roast' mine now -- either in a saute pan on the stovetop or on a baking sheet in the oven. Tossed with a little butter and olive oil to start... maybe some parmesan and balsamic or lemon juice at the end. Mmmm, we eat asparagus at least 3 times per week.

ps. goes great with bacon, why fight it?

Bacon wrapped asparagus, dipped in batter and deep fried....

It's like a heart attack in a bite, but who could resist?
That actually sounds pretty good. I might try it out.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Bacon wrapped asparagus, dipped in batter and deep fried....

It's like a heart attack in a bite, but who could resist?
That actually sounds pretty good. I might try it out.

You like it, the raw bacon?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Intentional pun?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Never had it. Have you? lol

Haha...no. Don't want to try either. The problem with dipping bacon-wrapped asparagus in a batter is that after you fried it, the batter would be cooked, but the bacon on the inside would still be raw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads