I read somewhere that you can use a little bit of conditioner cleaner on the leather soles, but is this good for the shoe?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- "Make an offer" Shell Color #8 Unworn Allen Edmonds Hamilton Penny loafers Awesome... Last post on 1/12/13 at 10:00am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ***MINT / WORN ONCE*** Allen Edmonds Weybridge 7D (Black) Last post on 10/17/11 at 12:25pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info Last post on 1/24/17 at 7:16pm in Classic Menswear
How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 622post #9316 of 193287/23/16 at 2:39pmpost #9317 of 193287/23/16 at 2:54pmQuote:
No need to apologize. I actually thought it may be a joke with all the recent shoe storage posts. So my apologies for coming off as a douche...
Back to the topic. I don't clean the soles after wearing them. But I do brush the uppers very quickly before/after each wear. Also, periodically I will clean, condition and apply shoe polish to the uppers, and apply dressing to the edges.
It's a personal thing, and you do whatever suits you the most. IMO, some people do go a little too far with their routines I think the added benefits are marginal.post #9318 of 193287/23/16 at 3:06pmI'm a "wipe your feet" kind of guy before I come in the house anyway, so I've rarely had to do anything to the soles. If I had a true crap-stompin' pair of workboots, I probably would make sure I wasn't bringing in lots of mud and dirt on the soles, have a rough brush to hit 'em with after wear and wouldn't worry about bagging them.post #9319 of 193287/23/16 at 4:04pmQuote:
I have used leather lotion on older leather soles. Specifically, some of the vintage Florsheim and other shoes I find are in need of conditioning. I have found some separation of the leather layers on the heel of vintage shoes. This is seen when viewing the very front of the heel where it joins the sole. I apply a nice dose of leather lotion to the sole and the leather heel, let dry and then repeat the next day. A rubber heel would not need lotion. It seems to be beneficial as the separation cracks actually close up from the additional moisture. I have not done this on any newer shoes, but it seems to work well for some of the 15-40 year old shoes I find.post #9320 of 193287/23/16 at 4:07pmpost #9321 of 193287/23/16 at 4:35pmI must salute AE for their responsiveness to customer demands. Ive noticed that after we bitched about the limited sizing options for the new styles, they have now extended the sizing on virtually all of the new styles....thats just awesome in my opinion..Im super impressed..
welp, thats all it took for me...looks like Im now forced to purchase that Higgins Mill boot after all, now that its available in my size and AE has removed my one excuse I was gonna use to pass on the new styles...wouldnt be surprised if I ended up with an Alumnus as well..sigh..thanks alot AE..theyre robbing me blind here.post #9322 of 193287/23/16 at 4:58pmpost #9323 of 193287/23/16 at 5:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by harlequin782
I must salute AE for their responsiveness to customer demands. Ive noticed that after we bitched about the limited sizing options for the new styles, they have now extended the sizing on virtually all of the new styles....thats just awesome in my opinion..Im super impressed..
Thank you for the heads up, several new 15D sizes are in the house!!
I like the Higgins Mill and especially during any sale, would not mind a minor upcharge for a lugged sole. That could have been an MTO in the MTO glory days.post #9324 of 193287/23/16 at 5:10pmQuote:
Yeah...that 15D was what I was looking for too. The hunt is on now! Now its just a waiting game to see if its part of the sale in September. Truth be told, even if its not, Ill still be getting it.
Edited by harlequin782 - 7/23/16 at 5:23pmpost #9325 of 193287/23/16 at 5:23pmATTENTION WEASELS!! I got a pair of AEs recrafted during the recent special that included a $50 coupon off a new pair. I've decided that I'm not weaselly enough to use it. It's NOT good on seconds, sandals, Swims, etc. etc. etc.
Anyone here willing to give me $20 via Paypal for the thing? I can either mail it to you, or just give you the code.
NOTE: It expires 8/15 so you'll need to use it pretty quickly.
Francispost #9326 of 193287/23/16 at 5:48pmpost #9327 of 193287/23/16 at 5:52pmpost #9328 of 193287/23/16 at 6:05pmQuote:
Don't know it it's good for the shoes, but it makes it easier for bugs that scurry away to avoid getting stepped on to tell their bug friends what brand of shoe they nearly got stepped on by.post #9329 of 193287/23/16 at 7:25pmpost #9330 of 193287/23/16 at 7:30pm
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › *** The official PATRIK ERVELL thread *** 1 minute ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 2 minutes ago
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 8 minutes ago
- › Buzz Rickson Bomber Jacket 36 9 minutes ago
- › patrickBOOTH's Third-of-Life Crisis and (Mostly) Self-Imposed... 9 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 10 minutes ago
- › Suit Fabrics 12 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...