Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- brandAllen Edmonds Brandtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Byrontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Cordovan Dundeetagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Slip-Ontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Weybridge Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info Last post on Yesterday at 6:07 pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:27 am in Classic Menswear
How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 583post #8732 of 176787/14/16 at 3:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by M2511
Ok the photos below are probably the best you will be able to see in a photo. It looks to me like the cut is through the finished grain part but not all the way through. You wouldn't see it at all otherwise. I think I'm inclined to keep them at $199...unless others think this could be a major future issue. Also BBs has the football grain looking ones on sale and those also call to me despite not being dainite which is something I want for the rainy jeans days. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Dumb question, but are there any more still available in your size? Maybe a swap is in order.post #8733 of 176787/14/16 at 4:31pmpost #8734 of 176787/14/16 at 4:38pmNeed some help. I'm torn between the Merlot Strands and merlot Mcallisters. Was leaning towards the Strands as they're a bit more unique, but keep seeing good pictures of the McA's that make me go hmm. I'm 35, work for a city in finance and wear suits most days. I have a pair of black PAs, brown Hinsdales and chestnut Meermin Oxford wing tips. Next purchases after the merlot pair will probably be black Kennilworths and brown FAs. Any thoughts would be appreciated...it's tough as they're both nice shoes.post #8735 of 176787/14/16 at 4:39pmpost #8736 of 176787/14/16 at 4:51pmpost #8737 of 176787/14/16 at 5:00pmpost #8738 of 176787/14/16 at 5:06pmMy two cents on the Mcallister vs Strand questions above.
I love wing tips with some red in them. I have a pair of chili McA's and I've been close to buying merlot/oxblood.
I think the walnut Strand should be a staple in everyone's closet, right next to the black PA. While I don't have a walnut Strand, I do have a walnut Sanford which I love and scratches that walnut itch.post #8739 of 176787/14/16 at 5:52pmQuote:
Ultimately I'll give you my thoughts, but it's totally up to you.
1. Bourbon McAllisters - best case is the bourbon is more of a "fashion statement" kind of color - little more odd, unique. Very nice, little tricky to pair up with clothing. Worst case is the color is green-tinged or has tiger striping. I'm assuming your either getting 2nds (which would be just stupid), or 1sts (217 minus the 50 amex), so let's say ~170-220. Once they're gone, they're likely gone for at least a long time.
2. Walnut Strands - walnut is more traditional. Can be really light, can be more dark, roll of the dice. Depending on the bourbon, walnut can be easier or harder to pair with clothing (I'd air on easier). You could be looking at 2nds during a sale for 240 (which I'd probably advise against), the Nordstrom thing (260), or the bloomingdales thing (225 after the 30% and amex). So let's say ~260.
Either way, the bourbon McA isn't much cheaper. You already have the McA in merlot, which at least to me is a much better and more versatile color already. So my vote is the Strand.post #8740 of 176787/14/16 at 5:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by M2511
When you do this, does he have it brought to him so he can look at it before it is sent out? I haven't found a SA that was willing to have it shipped to their store to look at it beforehand whether it be coming from another shoebank or from CAC. My experience ordering directly from CAC has been that they are in bad shape. I'm pretty sure thats where all the returns go so you are seeing some that have been rejected by many people in some cases.
In the past when I've ordered seconds that are at other shoe banks he's had them shipped to him first before sending to me.post #8741 of 176787/14/16 at 6:14pmQuote:Quote:
Yes the leather seems really high quality - I must say!post #8742 of 176787/14/16 at 6:15pmpost #8743 of 176787/14/16 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by kpyeoman
Need some help. I'm torn between the Merlot Strands and merlot Mcallisters. Was leaning towards the Strands as they're a bit more unique, but keep seeing good pictures of the McA's that make me go hmm. I'm 35, work for a city in finance and wear suits most days. I have a pair of black PAs, brown Hinsdales and chestnut Meermin Oxford wing tips. Next purchases after the merlot pair will probably be black Kennilworths and brown FAs. Any thoughts would be appreciated...it's tough as they're both nice shoes.
Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I have two pairs of McA and two pairs of strands and I love them equally. For me, the strand is a bit more unique aesthetically which makes me lean a bit more in that direction. I would maybe lean towards one in merlot and then get the other in walnut eventually to build a more diverse set of choices instead of another black pair (admittedly I dislike black shoes though unless it's a really formal event).post #8744 of 176787/14/16 at 7:32pmpost #8745 of 176787/14/16 at 7:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by catlettsl
Brooks Brother AE vs Allen Edmonds
Anyone notice an aesthetics difference? My BB model Park Ave's def feel and look fuller/clunkier than my AE model Mcallisters. I know the BB models have the rubber sole, maybe that's adding to the shoe....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure about the Park Ave's, but my BB AE Presido loafers have a much more significantly padded insole which adds to the bulk/fullness of the shoe compared to non-BB AE loafers.
Perhaps the PA's are the same?
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Why Joe Biden Will Be The Next POTUS Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 11 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 16 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 18 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway