or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 577

post #8641 of 17635
For the people who have darkened their Walnut strands. Did you ever use black polish? I've been using Saphir med brown polish but I want them a little more darker.

Thoughts?
post #8642 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

I use this "lock lacing" method on my Clark Streets.  It completely eliminates heel slip.

 

@Lobster33 - Funny, how fits/shoes can vary. I feel like I could put on my Clark Streets with no-show socks and the loosest knot possible and I still wouldn't get any heel slip.

 

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm now locked and loaded! I've never ventured that far down Ian's site, so thanks for the reminder about that resource.

post #8643 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-engnr View Post

Question about width......

When you go up in width (say from D to E) does only the footprint of the shoe actually get wider without a change to volume? Or is the footprint the same and more volume is added? Or both the footprint (width) gets bigger and more volume is added?

 

If the one of the 3 dimensions gets larger and the others remain the same then by definition the volume increases no? :teach:" src="http://files.styleforum.net/images/smilies/wink.gif" /> I go from D to E its definitely the width footprint that gets bigger. I dont really have heel problems for me its at the ball of the foot where my issues arise. Going from E to EEE definitely leaves me with a lot of unused real estate. In most lasts I have to go up like an entire length to make a D work but then I have tremendous amount of toe volume and the ball of my foot isnt well seated either.


8339bbb2e8b0ad697101971a5df4f74f.jpg

Both the black PA and chili 5A are size 10E on the same 65 last but as you can see in the picture, very different volume going on in the forefoot.

Full disclosure. The black PA are an eBay purchase and marked "no warranty".

The Chili 5A are a ShoeBank purchase.

The black PA rests very well against my foot where as the 5A has some gap which could attribute to a creasing issue.

As others have mentioned. These are handmade items and maybe some workers fit the leather tighter to the last than others?

Or maybe the eBay shoes are no warranty because of the lack of volume? Who knows.
post #8644 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-engnr View Post


8339bbb2e8b0ad697101971a5df4f74f.jpg

Both the black PA and chili 5A are size 10E on the same 65 last but as you can see in the picture, very different volume going on in the forefoot.

Full disclosure. The black PA are an eBay purchase and marked "no warranty".

The Chili 5A are a ShoeBank purchase.

The black PA rests very well against my foot where as the 5A has some gap which could attribute to a creasing issue.

As others have mentioned. These are handmade items and maybe some workers fit the leather tighter to the last than others?

Or maybe the eBay shoes are no warranty because of the lack of volume? Who knows.

 

Right I thought you were asking from D to E not the variation from shoe type despite being on the same last. Something else that maybe be contributing there is the dainite sole vs the leather sole. The no warranty like our favorite ebay seller typically has on the shoes he sells is seemingly stamped on there so they are not returned to stores but appear to be shoes that were worn just enough or have damage beyond what stores and the shoebank could resell. The shoebank purchase could be there for a number of reasons, sometimes its things we dont even necessarily see. On the 65 last I wear the same size across the board (possible exception for unlined and the rough leather collection though I haven't tried sizing down for them since I'm fairly pleased with them in my normal 65 size). There is definitely variation across the last though and many will tell you their strands fit a little differently than their PAs or 5As. 

post #8645 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post
 

 

Right I thought you were asking from D to E not the variation from shoe type despite being on the same last. Something else that maybe be contributing there is the dainite sole vs the leather sole. The no warranty like our favorite ebay seller typically has on the shoes he sells is seemingly stamped on there so they are not returned to stores but appear to be shoes that were worn just enough or have damage beyond what stores and the shoebank could resell. The shoebank purchase could be there for a number of reasons, sometimes its things we dont even necessarily see. On the 65 last I wear the same size across the board (possible exception for unlined and the rough leather collection though I haven't tried sizing down for them since I'm fairly pleased with them in my normal 65 size). There is definitely variation across the last though and many will tell you their strands fit a little differently than their PAs or 5As. 

 

My question about the D to E differences were because I was curious if maybe the ebay purchase was a mis-marked shoe.  Such as was marked as 10E but was really constructed as a 10D.

post #8646 of 17635
Grey Macs again!!!!

post #8647 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

For the people who have darkened their Walnut strands. Did you ever use black polish? I've been using Saphir med brown polish but I want them a little more darker.

Thoughts?

 

I've used a variety of colors, all with very light coats. I use black everywhere on my bourbon shoes, just on the toe and heel of dark chili and the deep dark brown (like the 5th Streets).

For walnut, I use med brown and/or cognac everywhere and navy on the toe/heel. Might sound weird, but I absolutely love the look of navy (I use Meltonian's) on walnut.

post #8648 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post

I use this "lock lacing" method on my Clark Streets.  It completely eliminates heel slip.



That's basically the way I lace my running shoes
post #8649 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post

I've used a variety of colors, all with very light coats. I use black everywhere on my bourbon shoes, just on the toe and heel of dark chili and the deep dark brown (like the 5th Streets).
For walnut, I use med brown and/or cognac everywhere and navy on the toe/heel. Might sound weird, but I absolutely love the look of navy (I use Meltonian's) on walnut.

Navy eh? Can you post some pictures? Curious to see how your walnut looks now
post #8650 of 17635


Wow! This is the first time I've seen the Cornwallis in the dark chili color. They look amazing!
post #8651 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry View Post



Wow! This is the first time I've seen the Cornwallis in the dark chili color. They look amazing!

Agree - I've got to figure out the fit on these...
post #8652 of 17635

Just received my brown grain dundees from the bank. There are small imperfections that dont bother me. There is one that visibly would never be seen at all but I am concerned that the cut is deep enough that it could become an issue overtime through wears. Again not in terms of how it looks but the integrity of the leather as a whole. Picture shown below shoes the cut, almost like someone took a razorblade to it to shave the welt or something. 

post #8653 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post
 

To piggyback on my post above, can anyone comment on how the Dundees fit in regards to the Dalton? Specifically the length and heel size of the two.

 

If, say, a 9.25C Dalton is the ideal fit, do you think I could get away with 9D in the Dundee? I'm wondering if I need to go up to 9.5D or even 10B and use an insert.

 

They should fit the same. Both 511 last. Going down a half size and up one width will probably work for you assuming you're not cramped in the 9.5C now. I could use a bit more room in front of the small toes on my 7 2E Dundees. I tried going to a 7.5 2E on my Daltons they had too much width in the ball and heel areas. The heel seemed almost as wide as my old 7 3E Dundees. I'm exchanging the Daltons for 7.5 E. 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

For the people who have darkened their Walnut strands. Did you ever use black polish? I've been using Saphir med brown polish but I want them a little more darker.

Thoughts?
 

I use straight AE black polish to burnish the toes and stitching/broguing on my walnut Jeffersons and Rutledges. Works great. Using a light coat all over makes it look like chili (not dark/bob's), but I've also just used it on the areas I want to give a burnished look.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post


Agree - I've got to figure out the fit on these...
 
I wear 7 3E on the 333 last and tried 7.5E on the Cornwallis to test fit for a future shell MTO. Fit was snug, and should be perfect after break in/sole compression. No issues with room in the instep.
post #8654 of 17635
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

Agree - I've got to figure out the fit on these...

You should figure it out fast because they're gonna be on sale during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. I didn't check the price but they're probably going to be 260. Same price as the Park Avenue, Strand and Carlyle
post #8655 of 17635

I tried black polish on my bourbon shoes but I did not like the way it looked.  It didn't really match the burnished part and looked too dark.  I've found much better results with the dark brown polish.  But use whatever works for you, of course.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc