or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 575

post #8611 of 17714
I've found variation from one pair to another even when the shoe is on the same last. I never assumed that the shoe size was mislabeled.
I have always thought that there is going to be some variation due to the hand-built nature of the shoes, and the use of multiple lasts in the factory which may vary slightly. (I have to believe they've got more than one copy of the 65 last in size 10D.)
Of course this doesn't even account for different lasts having different shapes, and not fitting the same even if they are all a 13B.
Ideally, a size 13B on the 65 last would fit the same with every shoe. And perhaps some day that will be achieved. That's my dream!
post #8612 of 17714
Anyone with a bourbon manistee belt find it to be super light? Just got one and kinda dislike how light it is. May return or use for my walnut shoes.

post #8613 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by styleaudit91 View Post

Anyone with a bourbon manistee belt find it to be super light? Just got one and kinda dislike how light it is. May return or use for my walnut shoes.

 

I bought a chili 2nd a year or two ago. SA said it would match Bob's chili. Not. even. close. It is similar to your bourbon, so I ended up pairing it with my walnut brogues. The distance between waist and feet is enough that they "match."

post #8614 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by styleaudit91 View Post

Anyone with a bourbon manistee belt find it to be super light? Just got one and kinda dislike how light it is. May return or use for my walnut shoes.

I bought a bourbon Manistee a while back, and it was a lot lighter than my shoes. It's OK. I do wish that it was a little darker.
My belt is nowhere near as light as a few that I saw in the store just as they went on clearance sale. That batch was indistinguishable from the walnut. Honestly, it looked like they were mislabeled. I was tempted to buy one to match my walnut shoes.
post #8615 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post

Which rack? If I recall there were a number of people that were looking for Shakers.

The Rack in Northbrook IL. The Shakers were like a 10D or 10E.

I've hit that one a number of times, but never had luck. I'm in the 11.5/12 range, though, and don't venture lower.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8616 of 17714

Anyone have a Bartlett?  What is it like?

post #8617 of 17714

I read on the posts about the Rediscover America Sale.  Last year it was in September.  I can't remember what was on sale last year.  Hopefully we will have some luck with Blues and Grays!  LOL.  Maybe a whole cut?

post #8618 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post


I've hit that one a number of times, but never had luck. I'm in the 11.5/12 range, though, and don't venture lower.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Me too 11.5D and 12D and nothing less. :)  I have a pair of Bruno Magli and they are 11D way too small. 

post #8619 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

I've found variation from one pair to another even when the shoe is on the same last. I never assumed that the shoe size was mislabeled.
I have always thought that there is going to be some variation due to the hand-built nature of the shoes, and the use of multiple lasts in the factory which may vary slightly. (I have to believe they've got more than one copy of the 65 last in size 10D.)
Of course this doesn't even account for different lasts having different shapes, and not fitting the same even if they are all a 13B.
Ideally, a size 13B on the 65 last would fit the same with every shoe. And perhaps some day that will be achieved. That's my dream!


Leather type and welt can affect the fit between shoes on the same last.  For example many people size down with 65's in the Rough Collection (like the McTavish) from their dress 65's.  Or, in my case, shell PA's fit in great 8D, but I wear 8E's in calf leather.  There is perhaps/probably some variation between individual workers as to how tightly they form the leather around the last which may account for different fit within the same style and leather combination.

 

I don't think the multiple lasts is an issue, they use molded plastic.  Though I could see that being the case if they were carved like some smaller makers use.

 

Just my $.02.  Someone probably has more knowledge on this.

post #8620 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post


Ultimately its up to you.  But I don't think its that bad.  At least its in a not to visible when wearing area.  How is the fit?  

The other issue with noticed is the Walnut is a little green tinted compared to my other walnut shoes. Maybe I'll try again.
post #8621 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post


Leather type and welt can affect the fit between shoes on the same last.  For example many people size down with 65's in the Rough Collection (like the McTavish) from their dress 65's.  Or, in my case, shell PA's fit in great 8D, but I wear 8E's in calf leather.  There is perhaps/probably some variation between individual workers as to how tightly they form the leather around the last which may account for different fit within the same style and leather combination.

I don't think the multiple lasts is an issue, they use molded plastic.  Though I could see that being the case if they were carved like some smaller makers use.

Just my $.02.  Someone probably has more knowledge on this.

I think it also has to do with the type of shoe that it is for instance: in the 201 last I wear an 11.5 D in some I wear a 12 D. The Warwick is a 12 and Rogue 11.5. I don't know why maybe the shoe closure?
post #8622 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTexter View Post


I think it also has to do with the type of shoe that it is for instance: in the 201 last I wear an 11.5 D in some I wear a 12 D. The Warwick is a 12 and Rogue 11.5. I don't know why maybe the shoe closure?


Yes, some people will size differently in balmorals vs. bluchers vs. monk straps.  Usually bluchers are more forgiving than balmorals because you can adjust the lacing on the lower eyelets a bit to get the two sides parallel, with closed lacing (balmorals) how much V-gap you will accept is sometimes the determining factor.

post #8623 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by styleaudit91 View Post

Anyone with a bourbon manistee belt find it to be super light? Just got one and kinda dislike how light it is. May return or use for my walnut shoes.


I don't have the ability to take a picture right now but my bourbon Manistee belt is considerably darker than the belt in your picture and also considerably darker than my bourbon Macs. Went to wear it today and thought it just didn't look right so I wore a simple AE brown belt instead.

post #8624 of 17714
I thing some of you may worry too much about "matching" belt and shoe color. I think AE feeds this.

An exact match isn't necessary. If you have a darkish brown and a lighter brown, that's close enough for your brown shoes, assuming the levels of formality are on par. Add a black and a burg and you have it covered.
post #8625 of 17714
@TexasTexter Found your posts interesting. When I first saw the Acheson I assumed no one would buy it and it would go straight to clearance. Nice looking shoe, no doubt, but in my mind, its a step down from the Grayson in terms of looks, plus I have to imagine the 97 last fit is going to be far more accommodating than the "polarizing" fit of the Acheson that some might love but others would really hate. May I ask why you didn't just go for a Grayson?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc