or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 553

post #8281 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

Similar story hear...my downfall is boots...seems I now have socks to make nearly evryboot fit well....LOL...and hello AE Gents.....good to see this place still rocking!

Old photo but these still are a favorite summer bad boy

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Good to see you in the AE thread, @Kahuna75. Hope summer is treating you well.

 

I, too, am a sucker for boots. A perfect fit isn't nearly as important because I have so many different weight socks and I can tie them so much snugger than shoes. Luckily I have kept this addiction to AE only... but I know it is only a matter of time before I start looking at a few other makers. 

 

Today is my first day back at work since last Friday (talk about 4th of July weekend!!), and while I was away it was a solid rotation of Kirkwood, Maritime, and Addison. Do you like the fit of your Addy's? I still get some heel slip, despite a tongue pad, and they work better for me with socks.

 

Having a terrific summer...thanks! actually heading out for a eat my way down the coast trip in a few hours...My addisons are really well broken in and I do not get any more heel slip..though they are a touch loose after losing some weight. I thought I was going to have to sell them and try a smaller size after last summer but like I mentioned either they broke in more or my foot widened out some from all the extra walking and working out. Of course I still am firmly in the 250+ club but beats the 280+ club..lol

 

That is a great 4th break you had hope it was terrific...I wish I could get the Maritime or Kirkwood to fit me correctly..have some Handmade in Maine/USA old Sebago's, and a rotation of newer Sebagao, Sperry, Rancourt to fill in for boat shoes.

post #8282 of 17549

After multiple sessions on carpet, and some discussions with AE customer service, these Oak Streets are finally making their maiden voyage. These didn't have any noticeable issues, except for one rather dark panel - which I am fine with, as the CXL will change color over time anyway. When I put them on, there was a minor lump in the right footbed (my AE curse, it seems) and one shoe felt like a half size wider than the other. After looking at inventory, trying 10Bs, and discussing my options, AE "helped" me decide to keep them.

 

As far as fit, these do have a bunch of volume. I can see why some have sized 1/2 down from brannock/other 65s; however, that would have been too short for me. These like the best option... hopefully the lump goes away, the width will not be an issue when I sink down into the footbed, and the creasing isn't too terrible.

 

I'm such a sucker for CXL, natty at that, I'm willing to give them a try. I can see these developing a rich patina and turning into a great casual shoe!

 

Any suggestions on darkening certain parts of the CXL? I'd love to bring the caps closer to the dark panel.

 

 

My daily @dapkicks pic: (Click to show)
post #8283 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

I don't think you'll ever see them for $199 again.
If you're going to get them eventually anyway, you might as well do it now.

 

The *1* shoe still on my wish list... Burnished brown is calling my name!

post #8284 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post
 

After multiple sessions on carpet, and some discussions with AE customer service, these Oak Streets are finally making their maiden voyage. These didn't have any noticeable issues, except for one rather dark panel - which I am fine with, as the CXL will change color over time anyway. When I put them on, there was a minor lump in the right footbed (my AE curse, it seems) and one shoe felt like a half size wider than the other. After looking at inventory, trying 10Bs, and discussing my options, AE "helped" me decide to keep them.

 

As far as fit, these do have a bunch of volume. I can see why some have sized 1/2 down from brannock/other 65s; however, that would have been too short for me. These like the best option... hopefully the lump goes away, the width will not be an issue when I sink down into the footbed, and the creasing isn't too terrible.

 

I'm such a sucker for CXL, natty at that, I'm willing to give them a try. I can see these developing a rich patina and turning into a great casual shoe!

 

Any suggestions on darkening certain parts of the CXL? I'd love to bring the caps closer to the dark panel.

 

 

My daily @dapkicks pic: (Click to show)

 

Which panel is darker?  I can't tell.

post #8285 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post
 

Which panel is darker?  I can't tell.

 

Not enough coffee yet for my sarcasm meter to be working properly... so not sure if you were serious or not.

If you are, check the left outside panel in my spoilered pic. I increased the saturation slightly to illustrate it.

If you were joking, they aren't quite as bad as the pic, though it really depends on the light and angle. As a said, I'd love to darken everything a little bit and then get the toe caps closer to the dark panel.

post #8286 of 17549

My new Carlyle's in walnut with the old piping arrived this morning.  Having compared both the new piping vs. the old, I'm finding the old Carlyle's are a little more narrow in the arch with the V gap not closing as much.  I'm at about 3/4 an inch with the old piping and 1/2 with the new.  There's definitely some variation in size, and the newer Carlyle's fit better. Now I'm debating which one I should keep. 

post #8287 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

My new Carlyle's in walnut with the old piping arrived this morning.  Having compared both the new piping vs. the old, I'm finding the old Carlyle's are a little more narrow in the arch with the V gap not closing as much.  I'm at about 3/4 an inch with the old piping and 1/2 with the new.  There's definitely some variation in size, and the newer Carlyle's fit better. Now I'm debating which one I should keep. 

 

If the others fit better and you can get past the piping then keep the new piping version. Adds the benefit of not having to try to sell the other pair since you can just return the ones you just received.

post #8288 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post
 

 

If the others fit better and you can get past the piping then keep the new piping version. Adds the benefit of not having to try to sell the other pair since you can just return the ones you just received.

 

You are absolutely correct. I will strongly consider this.  I will post pictures later (probably tomorrow morning) so you can see the difference in size.  It's amazing how much size variation there can be in one shoe in the same size.

post #8289 of 17549

They were also $200 in the sale they had in May.  You may see $200 again, but its probably safe to say you won't see them for less than $200 unless they're discontinued.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange fury View Post


I would love the brown burnished or the country grain on Dainite (actually, probably that one), but im officially at the point where I can't justify another $200 lol.
post #8290 of 17549

Looking for help.

 

I have wide flat feet.  I have been saving up for some Allen Edmonds and went to an actual AE store for fitting.  The SA that fitted me fitted me, initially, to the 65 last and fitted me at an 11.5eee.  I really wanted the 65 Last to work, because Park Aves are my ideal shoe (for what I was looking for) in terms of style.  Unfortunately, the balmoral mixed with the 65 made my the shoe look terrible on my flat wide foot, the laces could not be drawn anywhere close to tight.  The fit was okay, but there was some minor tightness on the left outside of my foot (plus top line bulge which, didn't appear to affect the fit but just looked unsightly).  

 

I tried on several lasts.  The 97 and the 511 were the most comfortable, but I didn't see a shoe in the last that fit my taste/need.   The SA then suggested i do factory seconds of the Lexington to see if a blucher on a 65 last would alleviate the issue i was having with tightness.  He didn't have a lexington to try because it is discontinued.  He had me try on another blucher which he said was as close as he had to the lexington, and it felt great.  

 

I received the Lexington's and they look great, but they are tight on the outside of my foot just before the ball of my foot.  I'm concerned they won't ever fit correctly. On the flip side, I'm concerned because I'm not sure there is a dressy shoe that will properly fit my foot and the Lexington definitely fits better than the PA and, at the pricepoint the Lexington cannot be beat, so I'm basically trying to weigh if the risk of it not fitting perfectly is worth it as there doesn't appear to be a dress-shoe option in the 511 or 97 that hits the conservative oxford look.

 

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

post #8291 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks1388 View Post
 

Looking for help.

 

I have wide flat feet.  I have been saving up for some Allen Edmonds and went to an actual AE store for fitting.  The SA that fitted me fitted me, initially, to the 65 last and fitted me at an 11.5eee.  I really wanted the 65 Last to work, because Park Aves are my ideal shoe (for what I was looking for) in terms of style.  Unfortunately, the balmoral mixed with the 65 made my the shoe look terrible on my flat wide foot, the laces could not be drawn anywhere close to tight.  The fit was okay, but there was some minor tightness on the left outside of my foot (plus top line bulge which, didn't appear to affect the fit but just looked unsightly).  

 

I tried on several lasts.  The 97 and the 511 were the most comfortable, but I didn't see a shoe in the last that fit my taste/need.   The SA then suggested i do factory seconds of the Lexington to see if a blucher on a 65 last would alleviate the issue i was having with tightness.  He didn't have a lexington to try because it is discontinued.  He had me try on another blucher which he said was as close as he had to the lexington, and it felt great.  

 

I received the Lexington's and they look great, but they are tight on the outside of my foot just before the ball of my foot.  I'm concerned they won't ever fit correctly. On the flip side, I'm concerned because I'm not sure there is a dressy shoe that will properly fit my foot and the Lexington definitely fits better than the PA and, at the pricepoint the Lexington cannot be beat, so I'm basically trying to weigh if the risk of it not fitting perfectly is worth it as there doesn't appear to be a dress-shoe option in the 511 or 97 that hits the conservative oxford look.

 

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

 

Did you have an opportunity to try the 201 last? Specifically the hopkinson? Seems to be a bit more forgiving than the 65 last and is the look of the PA. If you want the 511 last, Leeds really are not a bad option. 

post #8292 of 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post
 

 

Did you have an opportunity to try the 201 last? Specifically the hopkinson? Seems to be a bit more forgiving than the 65 last and is the look of the PA. If you want the 511 last, Leeds really are not a bad option. 

I did not try the hopkinson.  I don;t believe I tried anything in the 201 last, but I could be wrong.  I could have sworn I had tried nearly every shoe, but I am confident looking back on it that I did not try the hopkinson.  I will have to consider that.  Thank you!

post #8293 of 17549

Can anyone with a Rutledge comment on how it fits relative to the 511 last? 

post #8294 of 17549
Bourbon Moras today ...


But wait, isn't it Independence Week?
Why, yes, yes it is ...


As near as I can tell, these were MTO'd back in the good old days. Indy leather, lining, edge wheeling, and sole (though the footbed is the typical Mora one). Seconds from the "irregular" rack at my nearest shoe bank.

Admittedly, this is a bit of a cheat; I haven't fully committed to these yet. They are 11E rather than my typical 11D. While the fit isn't bad, I have more volume than I need and am still experimenting with liners that will take up the slack. The real issue is the counterfactual - the 108 is a near-perfect fit for me. Decisions.

Have a good weekend gents!

#indyweek
post #8295 of 17549
Not pictured or worn this week: walnut Rutledge. Darn these short holiday weeks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc