or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 552

post #8266 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

I was initially of a similar disposition. Chase the styles. Run through every last. Try to adjust the size and width up and down. I soon had a closet full of shoes that "almost fit" well. I finally purged them after finding some well fitting shoes. Some of this led me to vintage Florsheims and over to Alden.These, along with my AE batch, now work well. I am no longer swayed by flash sales, new models, great deals or different shoe leathers. My first deal breaker criteria is fit. Every shoe now has to be a great fit, first and foremost. Poor fit means right back in the box without a regret. I know myself well enough to know that I will pull a pair of great fitting shoes out for the day and leave the "almost fitting" shoes in the closet.

Shoe story of my life on this forum...

 

Similar story hear...my downfall is boots...seems I now have socks to make nearly evryboot fit well....LOL...and hello AE Gents.....good to see this place still rocking!

 

Old photo but these still are a favorite summer bad boy

post #8267 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphillips79 View Post


My bitter chocolate McGregors arrived today. My first suede AEs. Awesomeness!

Also, I never did hear from you chaps regarding your fav monk straps...

 

I have both the Mora and Franciscan.  Like them both a lot, but my favorite is the Franciscan.  Fits better, looks more stylish.

 

Bernie

post #8268 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnation View Post
 

Just notice seconds black cambridge are on sale. Has anyone have good experience with buying shell cordovan from the factory seconds? or bad experience?

 

I just bought a pair of Brown Shell Strands from the 2nds tent sale and they are perfect. They are without a doubt my favorite pair now and I wish I sat in natural light all day to look at them. Worst case you send them back and lose $10. Best case you just stole a pair of shells. 

post #8269 of 17579
Yesterday's walnut McClains (early morning- by the end of the day, the V gap was as closed as the Nathans I wore Wednesday):
1174BEE2-7B93-40CB-B5B2-86D2DB7B4F22_zpsfo9choga.jpg

Today's bourbon Mora's (with SF-approved coffee- in this case, essentially espresso on ice):
2F2AFE41-0C57-4F75-82AC-CD0B851A75A5_zpsrrcg8w7h.jpg

Also, for the discussion on creasing across the cap/double monks, note the creasing on these. They were seconds, so not a huge deal, but it's still there.
post #8270 of 17579
I had been debating between the dark chili Brooks Warwick and the tan McTavish for a while. As I mentioned yesterday, I ordered the Warwicks, but this morning I exercised the FBW option and ordered the McT's. And I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters coming in today.

I'm at enough of a rotation now that I shouldn't need another pair ever again. That said- still want Graysons and a pair of chukkas.
post #8271 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMerrill View Post

@mreams99 @ace13x

Thanks for the insights!

I bet the oxbloods are fantastic but I can't let myself buy another red shoe this summer. It be number 4.

@ace13x

Looking forward to the side by side shots. Thanks. I am a bit jealous you got your dark chocolates for $54.99.


Well here they are not the greatest lighting, meh

 

Left to Right: Bourbon, Walnut, Dk. Chocolate, Shell Burgundy (Did I forget to mention, I picked those up last week?  Oops.)

 

 

 

post #8272 of 17579
Picked up a pair of Larchmount in black from my Co-worker. Will hit it with some polish over the weekend
post #8273 of 17579
@ace13x Thanks, that was super helpful. I am actually not as keen on the chocolate now. The burgundy cordovans look fantastic. I really want to get bourbon after seeing this picture, but the ship may have sailed on that.
post #8274 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMerrill View Post

@ace13x Thanks, that was super helpful. I am actually not as keen on the chocolate now. The burgundy cordovans look fantastic. I really want to get bourbon after seeing this picture, but the ship may have sailed on that.

 

Agreed, that was a great side by side @ace13x.

 

FYI, now that bourbon has been discontinued, the new walnut from AE has been much darker. If you can't get your hands on bourbon (or non-striped bourbon) and/or you prefer non-black edge/welt, it is pretty easy to darken the walnut to a desirable color. I've been slowly working over mine with a few different types of polish. I'm far from finished, but they are getting there.

post #8275 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathiel View Post
 

I have both the Mora and Franciscan.  Like them both a lot, but my favorite is the Franciscan.  Fits better, looks more stylish.

 

Bernie

 

@amphillips79, think I have to agree with Bernie on liking the style of the Franciscan over the Mora - though it might depend on the color. If I were picking one today (my rotation is already out of hand and the Francs don't get worn as often as they should, so I definitely don't have room to add another monk strap), I think I'd combine my admiration of both shoes and select the latest strap (St. John's maybe?).

 

If it helps, chili Franciscans (Click to show)
post #8276 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange fury View Post

I had been debating between the dark chili Brooks Warwick and the tan McTavish for a while. As I mentioned yesterday, I ordered the Warwicks, but this morning I exercised the FBW option and ordered the McT's. And I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters coming in today.

I'm at enough of a rotation now that I shouldn't need another pair ever again. That said- still want Graysons and a pair of chukkas.
There is a great sale price on the Dundees right now.
post #8277 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

There is a great sale price on the Dundees right now.

I would love the brown burnished or the country grain on Dainite (actually, probably that one), but im officially at the point where I can't justify another $200 lol.
post #8278 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

Similar story hear...my downfall is boots...seems I now have socks to make nearly evryboot fit well....LOL...and hello AE Gents.....good to see this place still rocking!

Old photo but these still are a favorite summer bad boy

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Good to see you in the AE thread, @Kahuna75. Hope summer is treating you well.

 

I, too, am a sucker for boots. A perfect fit isn't nearly as important because I have so many different weight socks and I can tie them so much snugger than shoes. Luckily I have kept this addiction to AE only... but I know it is only a matter of time before I start looking at a few other makers. 

 

Today is my first day back at work since last Friday (talk about 4th of July weekend!!), and while I was away it was a solid rotation of Kirkwood, Maritime, and Addison. Do you like the fit of your Addy's? I still get some heel slip, despite a tongue pad, and they work better for me with socks.

post #8279 of 17579

Just ordered these Grey suede strandmok 2.0's.... question..... What are some suggestions on a matching belt?

post #8280 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange fury View Post

I would love the brown burnished or the country grain on Dainite (actually, probably that one), but im officially at the point where I can't justify another $200 lol.
I don't think you'll ever see them for $199 again.
If you're going to get them eventually anyway, you might as well do it now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc