or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 551

post #8251 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

I was initially of a similar disposition. Chase the styles. Run through every last. Try to adjust the size and width up and down. I soon had a closet full of shoes that "almost fit" well. I finally purged them after finding some well fitting shoes. Some of this led me to vintage Florsheims and over to Alden.These, along with my AE batch, now work well. I am no longer swayed by flash sales, new models, great deals or different shoe leathers. My first deal breaker criteria is fit. Every shoe now has to be a great fit, first and foremost. Poor fit means right back in the box without a regret. I know myself well enough to know that I will pull a pair of great fitting shoes out for the day and leave the "almost fitting" shoes in the closet.

Shoe story of my life on this forum...
post #8252 of 17649
@mreams99 @ace13x

Thanks for the insights!

I bet the oxbloods are fantastic but I can't let myself buy another red shoe this summer. It be number 4.

@ace13x

Looking forward to the side by side shots. Thanks. I am a bit jealous you got your dark chocolates for $54.99.
post #8253 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post


Good Lord! You are checking out shoes at 5:45am. You do have a problem smile.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMerrill View Post


@ace13x

Looking forward to the side by side shots. Thanks. I am a bit jealous you got your dark chocolates for $54.99.

 

 

It all works together.

post #8254 of 17649
@ace13x so that's what I need to do to find Alden Tanker boots without taking out a second mortgage.
post #8255 of 17649
There's a pair of those in my size on Nordstrom Rack's website. I've been tempted to buy them, but I'm already breaking in five pairs and need to draw a line somewhere. 😬
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post


Those look like the fit you way better than your other Balmorals.  I believe they're on the 7 last like the MacNeil.  Wish they few more shoes in that last.

Edit: And the color is amazing.  Great look with the grey slacks.
post #8256 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post

...but I'm already breaking in five pairs and need to draw a line somewhere. 😬

 

I'm in the same boat.  :lol:

post #8257 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

 

I'm in the same boat.  :lol:


Holy crap - me too!  In the past month I've bought: black shell PAs, black pebble MacNeil, natural CXL Oak Street, and chili weave Leidens.  I also have a pair of patent leather Times Squares that I bought like three years ago and haven't ever worn.

post #8258 of 17649

Those are some great additions to your wardrobe. I've been wearing my brown grain Leeds more than I expected (given the warn summer weather).  I just think they're great.  So great that I've come to wonder how often I'll wear the brown grain Dundees I bought a month earlier and haven't worn outside yet.  I'm sure that, once the weather turns, I'll have plenty of opportunities to wear them, but, having basically lucked into brown grain bluchers and brown suede chukkas, brown grain chukkas now seem a little redundant.  But I'm really working on enjoying what I already have, rather than continue to look for a better pair and a more perfect array of options in my wardrobe, so I think I'll stand pat.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post
 


Holy crap - me too!  In the past month I've bought: black shell PAs, black pebble MacNeil, natural CXL Oak Street, and chili weave Leidens.  I also have a pair of patent leather Times Squares that I bought like three years ago and haven't ever worn.

post #8259 of 17649

Allen Edmonds Navy Shell Cordovan "Grayson" Tassel Loafer. Red Loafer Socks by JCrew. Luigi Bianchi Mantova Linen Blend Khakis. For the Forth of July Red, White, and Blue.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

-Mike

post #8260 of 17649

Just notice seconds black cambridge are on sale. Has anyone have good experience with buying shell cordovan from the factory seconds? or bad experience?

post #8261 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnation View Post
 

Just notice seconds black cambridge are on sale. Has anyone have good experience with buying shell cordovan from the factory seconds? or bad experience?


Two years later, I'm STILL trying to determine why my burgundy Cambridges were at the Shoebank.

post #8262 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post

There's a pair of those in my size on Nordstrom Rack's website. I've been tempted to buy them, but I'm already breaking in five pairs and need to draw a line somewhere. 😬

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

 

I'm in the same boat.  :lol:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post
 


Holy crap - me too!  In the past month I've bought: black shell PAs, black pebble MacNeil, natural CXL Oak Street, and chili weave Leidens.  I also have a pair of patent leather Times Squares that I bought like three years ago and haven't ever worn.


Slackers.  :)

post #8263 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Shoe story of my life on this forum...


Did anyone ever get back to you on the Firenze?  I didn't want to butt in since I don't have long-term personal experience with it but I'll give you my 2 cents for what it's worth.  I couldn't tell if you tried one on or not from the last post.  It is built on what I referred to in my guide for lack of anything better as the "large Italian" last - like the capri, positano, etc.  I cannot wear it.  They go as low as a 7D and at least to me they run an a full size long - they are longer than any other AEs I have ever tried, meaning I would need a 6.5 (a full size down from 7.5 brannock).  The pebbled material and soft sole give them a very casual look and feel which I also wasn't a fan of.  They seem fine for something like a casual wear here and there type of deal but I would imagine a sole as soft as that would wear down pretty moderately.  The predecessor, the Fiesole, looked better, dressier, and the lug sole would have held up much better.  I have two pairs of Lucca that I absolutely love - the lug sole is built to last for sure.  Hope this helps - I think with the Firenze they were trying to capture the look of one of the Ferragamo loafers and weren't concerned about building something for longevity.

post #8264 of 17649

Got the burgundy cambridges...very satisfied with tjem 

post #8265 of 17649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry View Post

Anyone have any experience with the Larchmont Wingtips? I see that they're on sale for $157 in bourbon as part of the seconds sale and they caught my attention mostly because I don't own any shoes in that color. I'm usually an 8D in Allen Edmonds shoes and I have no experience with this last (333 last). Should I order my normal size? Thanks!


When I tried on the Larchmonts, I found I had to go down a half size from my Brannock and 65 last size (8D from 8.5D).  Same with the University and Flatirons.

 

Bernie

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc