or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 56

post #826 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


Pics as promised:

And a close-up of the vamp. Not sure why they burnished these so heavily; I prefer minimally burnished walnut calf.

  It's like they got rid of bourbon so they could start making walnut that is basically bourbon.  Weird move.

post #827 of 17577
Shine is starting to come out nicely after two more coats of polish this evening. The right toe is still driving me crazy though. Should I consider the AE carnuba wax to catch it up with the shine in the left?

Edited for a better photo.


Edited by NorseHorse - 2/23/16 at 5:36pm
post #828 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDriver View Post

Question... the right shoe on my new McGregors has some wrinkles where it's creasing in the forefoot. I know creasing is normal with calf, but are the wrinkles near the creasing anything to be concerned about?

Don't recall seeing this on my other AE's.


I have had similar issues with 3 pairs in past few months (Dalton, Strand and Madison Park), all firsts with the new AE finishing. Instead of the usual crease that I would expect, the creases looked like a web exposing the veins in the leather. In my opinion, it's a combination of subpar quality leather and the lacquered finish. regardless of what AE says, I have noticed that the quality of leather has decreased lately.
post #829 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

I have had similar issues with 3 pairs in past few months (Dalton, Strand and Madison Park), all firsts with the new AE finishing. Instead of the usual crease that I would expect, the creases looked like a web exposing the veins in the leather. In my opinion, it's a combination of subpar quality leather and the lacquered finish. regardless of what AE says, I have noticed that the quality of leather has decreased lately.

I was going to reply to the OP, but this makes a lot of sense. I am noticing this on my new McTavish, but not on any other pairs, including McAllister, which should really crease in the same place, since it is same design on the same last. I do have minor creasing on Strand, Rush Street, and Hale, but they are all cap-toes and the crease is right on the seam, so it's not as noticeable.
post #830 of 17577


Sorry guys, but I had to post this. This McT seconds just "cracked" me up. Do they actually expect someone to hold on to this? What the hell smile.gif
post #831 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

I have had similar issues with 3 pairs in past few months (Dalton, Strand and Madison Park), all firsts with the new AE finishing. Instead of the usual crease that I would expect, the creases looked like a web exposing the veins in the leather. In my opinion, it's a combination of subpar quality leather and the lacquered finish. regardless of what AE says, I have noticed that the quality of leather has decreased lately.

i had a pair of McGregor "firsts" that i returned the other day becuz one shoe looked just like that but a bit worse. even if ida bought them as seconds i wouldnt have kept them
post #832 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post



Sorry guys, but I had to post this. This McT seconds just "cracked" me up. Do they actually expect someone to hold on to this? What the hell smile.gif

 

That is a little strange.  I'd be tempted to ask them to cut the price in half as thirds and go over that with some cream and the back of a spoon & use 'em as beaters.

post #833 of 17577
@middlepP 1) id take the Addison's practically over the sea island any day if I could fit the 234 last, 2) Never tried the Cornwallis, maybe someday, just not really high on my list, 3) sorry...😁 with or without contrast, the Normandy is just awesome.
post #834 of 17577
@Rubik1014 You know I bet they would never do what you suggested. I feel like over the years they have been cutting more and more corners, becoming less accommodating, raising prices, etc. If I was coming into the brand now as opposed to before, I bet I wouldn't have stuck with them as long as I had.
post #835 of 17577
@cc808314 I've seen a crazy range on 2nds. I've seen shell Daltons that looked absolutely immaculate, along with Graysons that looked like someone dragged them over concrete for a hundred miles. You never know.
post #836 of 17577

Maintenance question time.  How often do you guys condition and/or polish?  I might be in the minority here, but I walk from my car to the office (maybe 1000 feet), then I'm walking on carpet the rest of the day.  80% of the time I'm sitting at my desk, the other 20% I might be walking to the break room or just away from my desk to avoid work (trying to get this to about 50/50 but don't tell my boss.)  When I get home I'll wipe them down with a cloth, tree them and put them back in the shoe box, awaiting for the next journey.  

 

To sum up, my shoes take forever to break in because I'm hardly walking in them.  I've read a few things saying to polish after every 3 to 4 wears and condition maybe quarterly or so?  I've worn those strands 4 times to the office now and they look brand new still.  Help a rookie please...

post #837 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCRich View Post

Maintenance question time.  How often do you guys condition and/or polish?  I might be in the minority here, but I walk from my car to the office (maybe 1000 feet), then I'm walking on carpet the rest of the day.  80% of the time I'm sitting at my desk, the other 20% I might be walking to the break room or just away from my desk to avoid work (trying to get this to about 50/50 but don't tell my boss.)  When I get home I'll wipe them down with a cloth, tree them and put them back in the shoe box, awaiting for the next journey.  

To sum up, my shoes take forever to break in because I'm hardly walking in them.  I've read a few things saying to polish after every 3 to 4 wears and condition maybe quarterly or so?  I've worn those strands 4 times to the office now and they look brand new still.  Help a rookie please...

I don't do it that often. Depends on how they look. My walnuts, I just polished twice, and wore them today. I'll be polishing them before I wear them again. I can wear Bourbon or Dark Chili for quite a while between polishes.
post #838 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDriver View Post

Question... the right shoe on my new McGregors has some wrinkles where it's creasing in the forefoot. I know creasing is normal with calf, but are the wrinkles near the creasing anything to be concerned about?

Don't recall seeing this on my other AE's.


Had something similar on my Sauk Dr.'s.  I suppose I can expect something like that on the thicker leather of the Sauk, and I was OK with it, since I figure they would wrinkle and crease over time anyway.  I did use some AE leather lotion on them, and it helped a little. 

 

Picture is right after unboxing.  Don't have a fresh picture just now.

post #839 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

While I know chili "goes" with navy, it still looks odd to me. Trying to break the black shoe rut. Yes, the "V" is on the wide side, but there is nothing to be done about it and the remainder of the shoe fits great.

 


That with a camel hair blazer is a helluva outfit—with an ice blue shirt? Bawse! And I LOVE the Fairfax! Such an interesting “wholecut” style with a punched as opposed to a sewn/pieced wingtip pattern. I have a pair in black that are SOOOOOOO comfortable it's silly. Love this color too. I'd rock the hell outta that in the warm months.

post #840 of 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Yeah, that's right, these are awesome.


In straight, solid BLACK! You rogue! You rapscallion! Black shoes outside of funerals are sheer heresy I say! :) 

(BEAT)

 

(SIGHS) Goddamn but black shell looks amazing!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc