or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 515

post #7711 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

Its the same reasoning that makes me wear shell on Kentucky Derby day.
You -- you monster! I suppose you wear shoes made from babies on International Children's Day?

For real though, nice sharks. Sad I missed out when they were available, there are some really nice make ups out there.
post #7712 of 17866
McAllisters in dark chili vs. Strands in oxblood - anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on which of these I should get for my next pair of AEs?

Presently I've got a pair of black Park Aves, walnut Strands, and bourbon Fifth Aves. I'd be wearing this new pair to work and want versatility. I typically would be wearing them with trousers and a button-up, very occasionally with a tie and/or jacket. Most of my trousers are various shades of gray or navy.

Which should I get next - dark chili McAllisters or oxblood Strands? How different are the two colors in real life? Thanks for any thoughts.
post #7713 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post

McAllisters in dark chili vs. Strands in oxblood - anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on which of these I should get for my next pair of AEs?

Presently I've got a pair of black Park Aves, walnut Strands, and bourbon Fifth Aves. I'd be wearing this new pair to work and want versatility. I typically would be wearing them with trousers and a button-up, very occasionally with a tie and/or jacket. Most of my trousers are various shades of gray or navy.

Which should I get next - dark chili McAllisters or oxblood Strands? How different are the two colors in real life? Thanks for any thoughts.

IMO, dark chili is relatively neutral/brown - certainly red tinted but subtle. Functionally, would pair similar to bourbon (ie with basically everything). Oxblood is much more saturated - more of a maroon / brown-tinted red. Showier than chili, and still pairs well, but probably less versatile overall.

If you didn't already have strands, I'd personally lean oxblood for diversification. If you like the McA, though, chili is a very versatile color in a versatile style. Less sexy but you may wear that one more.
[personally, wingtips aren't for me, but diff'rent strokes...]
post #7714 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post

McAllisters in dark chili vs. Strands in oxblood - anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on which of these I should get for my next pair of AEs?

Presently I've got a pair of black Park Aves, walnut Strands, and bourbon Fifth Aves. I'd be wearing this new pair to work and want versatility. I typically would be wearing them with trousers and a button-up, very occasionally with a tie and/or jacket. Most of my trousers are various shades of gray or navy.

Which should I get next - dark chili McAllisters or oxblood Strands? How different are the two colors in real life? Thanks for any thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-stream View Post

IMO, dark chili is relatively neutral/brown - certainly red tinted but subtle. Functionally, would pair similar to bourbon (ie with basically everything). Oxblood is much more saturated - more of a maroon / brown-tinted red. Showier than chili, and still pairs well, but probably less versatile overall.

If you didn't already have strands, I'd personally lean oxblood for diversification. If you like the McA, though, chili is a very versatile color in a versatile style. Less sexy but you may wear that one more.
[personally, wingtips aren't for me, but diff'rent strokes...]

Or, just get something like this:


Gold is basically just a fancy brown ...
post #7715 of 17866
Received my 1776's today:
824F3582-567A-44EB-9143-2AB0CC42213B_zps6jgmwdqa.jpg

Cool shoe, but not exactly thrilled- I wanted to have some extra sets of eyes look at these to help me decide if these aren't issues or if I should request an exchange. First, misaligned eyelets (not to mention very wrinkled leather):
6036716D-4A0D-4B25-A35D-3FE92C33F76F_zps7h5yof4h.jpg

Almost melted looking broguing:
BFFF28D0-B9D9-412B-A9F0-4E8403E1AB2A_zpsj4bwb49h.jpg

Wrinkled leather (also, not attached to inner liner):
2610C214-A2F6-4E92-8A4F-DC6EB7079E42_zpseuew4n6l.jpg

I also received some Concord Ave 2nds that continues my horribly unlucky streak with 2nds, so those are getting sent back regardless...
post #7716 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange fury View Post

Received my 1776's today:
824F3582-567A-44EB-9143-2AB0CC42213B_zps6jgmwdqa.jpg

Cool shoe, but not exactly thrilled- I wanted to have some extra sets of eyes look at these to help me decide if these aren't issues or if I should request an exchange. First, misaligned eyelets (not to mention very wrinkled leather):
6036716D-4A0D-4B25-A35D-3FE92C33F76F_zps7h5yof4h.jpg

Almost melted looking broguing:
BFFF28D0-B9D9-412B-A9F0-4E8403E1AB2A_zpsj4bwb49h.jpg

Wrinkled leather (also, not attached to inner liner):
2610C214-A2F6-4E92-8A4F-DC6EB7079E42_zpseuew4n6l.jpg

I also received some Concord Ave 2nds that continues my horribly unlucky streak with 2nds, so those are getting sent back regardless...

I've received some horrible seconds too, but only from the CAC.  (The retail outlets can at least eyeball the shoes for glaring flaws while you're on the phone with them.)  I think it's really disappointing that AE sold those 1776s to you as firsts.  I really wonder why they have such poor quality control.  At least the last pair of seconds I bought are better than the last pair of firsts I bought.  (Those Dundee firsts I bought were almost immediately returned...I'm happy with the shell Leeds seconds I recently received.)  There is absolutely no consistency in their QC.  That said, I'm considering ordering another pair of shells...the worst that will happen is I'll keep sending them back till they get them right, and that could happen on the first time.

 

I don't think I would accept those 1776s as firsts, especially with so many flaws.  I think the uneven eyelets are unforgivable.  It's the part of the shoe that you see the most.

post #7717 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange fury View Post

Received my 1776's today: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
824F3582-567A-44EB-9143-2AB0CC42213B_zps6jgmwdqa.jpg

Cool shoe, but not exactly thrilled- I wanted to have some extra sets of eyes look at these to help me decide if these aren't issues or if I should request an exchange. First, misaligned eyelets (not to mention very wrinkled leather):
6036716D-4A0D-4B25-A35D-3FE92C33F76F_zps7h5yof4h.jpg

Almost melted looking broguing:
BFFF28D0-B9D9-412B-A9F0-4E8403E1AB2A_zpsj4bwb49h.jpg

Wrinkled leather (also, not attached to inner liner):
2610C214-A2F6-4E92-8A4F-DC6EB7079E42_zpseuew4n6l.jpg

I also received some Concord Ave 2nds that continues my horribly unlucky streak with 2nds, so those are getting sent back regardless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMI View Post

I've received some horrible seconds too, but only from the CAC.  (The retail outlets can at least eyeball the shoes for glaring flaws while you're on the phone with them.)  I think it's really disappointing that AE sold those 1776s to you as firsts. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 I really wonder why they have such poor quality control.  At least the last pair of seconds I bought are better than the last pair of firsts I bought.  (Those Dundee firsts I bought were almost immediately returned...I'm happy with the shell Leeds seconds I recently received.)  There is absolutely no consistency in their QC.  That said, I'm considering ordering another pair of shells...the worst that will happen is I'll keep sending them back till they get them right, and that could happen on the first time.

I don't think I would accept those 1776s as firsts, especially with so many flaws.  I think the uneven eyelets are unforgivable.  It's the part of the shoe that you see the most.

The only thing that would concern me about those shoes is that the leather isn't attached to the lining (which sounds pretty serious), and the miscut pinking (which is probably still within spec). Those eyelets look pretty well-aligned, I don't think I would care about that, especially since they aren't laced and you can most likely just adjust the lacing to make up for that. The wrinkled leather is less than optimal, but shoes (and leather in general) wrinkle and crease with use. No one else will ever notice any of these issues.
post #7718 of 17866

I'd lace 'em up on your feet before you declare the eyelets unacceptable.


Frankly, I think they're OK...

post #7719 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post



I see comments like this and I understand why we don't have an MTO program anymore.  The only thing that would concern me about those shoes is that the leather isn't attached to the lining (which sounds pretty serious), and the miscut pinking (which is probably still within spec). Those eyelets look pretty well-aligned, I don't think I would care about that, especially since they aren't laced and you can most likely just adjust the lacing to make up for that. The wrinkled leather is less than optimal, but shoes (and leather in general) wrinkle and crease with use. No one else will ever notice any of these issues.

I understand where you're coming from, but the misaligned eyelets would really bug me, assuming that they don't straighten out when laced.  The Dundee firsts I received had severely misaligned eyelets and I tried lacing them a couple different ways with the hope that they would straighten out to an acceptable level.  In my years (decades) of buying shoes, I've never seen shoes where misaligned eyelets were so common.  

 

Being a natural product, leather is going to have imperfections, so some wrinkling on a less than obvious part of the shoe I think is acceptable, but I've received AEs with excessive wrinkling on the top of the upper and sent them back.  I've kept AE firsts with wrinkling similar to orange fury's 1776s.  That would not be a deal breaker to me.  The unattached lining sounds like improper construction and that should cause concern.

 

However, I don't follow your logic as to why the expectations of a high quality product led to the demise of the MTO program.  PG has been candid as to the business reasons why the MTO program was difficult to maintain.  Naspratt, if you paid over $600 for a pair of MTOs and the eyelets didn't line up and the laces were diagonal as a result, would you be happy?  I would hope that AE would want you to send them back and offer an apology for not catching the flaw.

post #7720 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

It's that time of year again on the Discovery channel!


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Time to break out the Belmonts today.

 

 

 

Its the same reasoning that makes me wear shell on Kentucky Derby day.

 

 

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, good sir.

post #7721 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMI View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I understand where you're coming from, but the misaligned eyelets would really bug me, assuming that they don't straighten out when laced.  The Dundee firsts I received had severely misaligned eyelets and I tried lacing them a couple different ways with the hope that they would straighten out to an acceptable level.  In my years (decades) of buying shoes, I've never seen shoes where misaligned eyelets were so common.  

Being a natural product, leather is going to have imperfections, so some wrinkling on a less than obvious part of the shoe I think is acceptable, but I've received AEs with excessive wrinkling on the top of the upper and sent them back.  I've kept AE firsts with wrinkling similar to orange fury's 1776s.  That would not be a deal breaker to me.  The unattached lining sounds like improper construction and that should cause concern.
However, I don't follow your logic as to why the expectations of a high quality product led to the demise of the MTO program.  PG has been candid as to the business reasons why the MTO program was difficult to maintain.  Naspratt, if you paid over $600 for a pair of MTOs and the eyelets didn't line up and the laces were diagonal as a result, would you be happy?  I would hope that AE would want you to send them back and offer an apology for not catching the flaw.
Sure. Diagonal is one thing, a millimeter off is another. Also, Paul said they got a huge number of returns because of imperfect color matching and minor flaws in the leather, which made it unsustainable. I just paid that much for a pair of Vass that don't have perfectly symmetrical eyelets on one shoe, but they look great and I'm not sweating it.
post #7722 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


Sure. Diagonal is one thing, a millimeter off is another. Also, Paul said they got a huge number of returns because of imperfect color matching and minor flaws in the leather, which made it unsustainable. I just paid that much for a pair of Vass that don't have perfectly symmetrical eyelets on one shoe, but they look great and I'm not sweating it.

I agree that an eyelet being off by merely 1 mm is not significant.  However, if the eyelets are off to the extent that it makes the laces obviously misaligned, that is a flaw that I would find unacceptable.

post #7723 of 17866

Which AE shoes are best for like... let's say a stroll around a mall? Or a date?

I'm really interested in those Grayson loafers, McAllister's, Strand's. Those are really appealing to me, but are they considered business casual? Since the term is slightly vague... I just need a little clarification.

post #7724 of 17866
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMI View Post
 

I've received some horrible seconds too, but only from the CAC.  (The retail outlets can at least eyeball the shoes for glaring flaws while you're on the phone with them.)  I think it's really disappointing that AE sold those 1776s to you as firsts.  I really wonder why they have such poor quality control.  At least the last pair of seconds I bought are better than the last pair of firsts I bought.  (Those Dundee firsts I bought were almost immediately returned...I'm happy with the shell Leeds seconds I recently received.)  There is absolutely no consistency in their QC.  That said, I'm considering ordering another pair of shells...the worst that will happen is I'll keep sending them back till they get them right, and that could happen on the first time.

 

I don't think I would accept those 1776s as firsts, especially with so many flaws.  I think the uneven eyelets are unforgivable.  It's the part of the shoe that you see the most.

I saw the eyelets and I think that's the first time I ever mumbled "Oh my god" to a picture on the internet. I've never really seen anything like that. Is eyelet unevenness common?

post #7725 of 17866

I think that the three models you mentioned would be a lot of look to wear to the mall.  They wouldn't be too much look for an evening date at a nice restaurant in any of the cities I've lived, with the possible exception of Madison, Wisconsin, where you might wear them only to a handful of the fanciest restaurants and hotels in the city.  

 

If you're looking for something to wear to the mall in the daytime, or while running errands on a weekend, I would wear the Dundees (especially pebble grain or suede), Clark Streets, or Oak Streets.  Delrays and Bradleys are pretty easy to dress up or down. The Strands and McAllisters you mentioned could look great, but would probably attract more notice in a casual setting than would a pair with a matte finish and a rubber sole.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefit View Post
 

Which AE shoes are best for like... let's say a stroll around a mall? Or a date?

I'm really interested in those Grayson loafers, McAllister's, Strand's. Those are really appealing to me, but are they considered business casual? Since the term is slightly vague... I just need a little clarification.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc