or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 452

post #6766 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter736 View Post
 

First time poster, long time lurker here.  I have a question about the AE Dalton, specifically with Dainite sole. 

If I were you, I'd keep them. I'd been lusting after Daltons for years before pulling the trigger on a Walnut Dainite pair late last year, and I couldn't be happier. In my eyes, whatever you lose aesthetically (which, admittedly, isn't much) is more than made up for by the added functionality. They've become my de facto "I know it's going to rain today and I don't feel like fussing with Swims" shoes -- even during the warmer months, despite living in the South.

 

That said, what works for me may not work for you. Leather-soled Daltons have dropped as low as $219 in the past year, which isn't too much more than what you probably paid for the Dainite, so if you don't think you'll be happy with these and you're willing to bide your time for another significant markdown, that's an option, but to be perfectly honest, given what you plan to use them for, I think you'll come around.

post #6767 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

Walnut Wednesday:

And from the weekend, the University with denim (blasphemy!):
 

You know I"ve been trying hard to decide if I want to kiss and make up with the 333 chisel toe of my Larchmont and go ahead on the university?  I think you just made up my mind - holy cow why couldn't you have posted these earlier!  They look absolutely killer.

post #6768 of 17714
I appreciate the feedback. They are so comfortable I can't see returning tge. Got the for less than $200 so I thought the price was right as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

The Dainite sole is very durable, and a good choice with that boot. I have a pair of Daltons and wish that I had bought a pair with Dainite.
post #6769 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter736 View Post

Hello All,

First time poster, long time lurker here.  I have a question about the AE Dalton, specifically with Dainite sole.   I recently picked a pair up from the Shoe Bank in walnut for what seems like a really good price.  I do like them.   I own a bunch of AE's and others, but this is my first pair with Dainite.  The question is, do you think I should return them and wait for a pair with leather soles?  I intend to wear them mostly with jeans and dress pants (not suits per se).   The sole is rather comfy but I am worried about durability.  I have considered a pair of the Sauk Drives in brown as an alternative.  Any thoughts?  And thank you for all of the wonderful advice on this site! 

Here is what they look like-very attractive and very comfy.



I special ordered my oxblood Daltons with Dainite as my walnuts have the leather. I agree it's a good sole for a boot, and much sleeker then a lug sole. I like it for some shoes too, as both the grip and durability should be better then leather and you don't need to worry about water as much.
post #6770 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post


Roger that. I somehow didn't t notice the Bar Harbor before. I have a love/hate relationship with quality shoes vs loafers. I take my shoes off as I enter the house,so I thought I'd continue with loafers. I can jam my thumb in the heel of my J&M's to have then on and off in a jiffy, but wouldn't dare do that with my AEs. Haven't been totally pleased with my Randolphs, so I'll look at any loafer on sale since it's so hard to get a good fit. I know what you mean about the 555 being unpredictable. I believe the Kirkwoods will do better and hope the new Maritimes actually fit when they arrive tomorrow.

On the other hand, my lace ups are so awesome, I don't mind the extra time to deal with the laces!


I know exactly what you mean - I still keep my CH Howland & Air Grants around if I want to jam them on also, but yeah I'm always looking.  Wound up picking up a handful of AE drivers so far - definitely not worth the premium but at sale prices they're at least somewhat of an upgrade.  The ae by AE stuff seems kind of all over the map though - the Kirkwood/Maritime was way better than I expected.  The Desoto/Concordia and most recently that Sojourner?  Not so much...

post #6771 of 17714
Great feedback. Thank you. As I continue to think about it keeping them makes more and more sense. My only pair in Walnut to boot (see what I did there?). I'll likely keep them and add to the quickly growing collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columnsofsteam View Post

If I were you, I'd keep them. I'd been lusting after Daltons for years before pulling the trigger on a Walnut Dainite pair late last year, and I couldn't be happier. In my eyes, whatever you lose aesthetically (which, admittedly, isn't much) is more than made up for by the added functionality. They've become my de facto "I know it's going to rain today and I don't feel like fussing with Swims" shoes -- even during the warmer months, despite living in the South.

That said, what works for me may not work for you. Leather-soled Daltons have dropped as low as $219 in the past year, which isn't too much more than what you probably paid for the Dainite, so if you don't think you'll be happy with these and you're willing to bide your time for another significant markdown, that's an option, but to be perfectly honest, given what you plan to use them for, I think you'll come around.
post #6772 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post
 


Ah, yes the medallion is different from the Tom Dick and Harry.  Do you have side view?

 

post #6773 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCRich View Post

No AE golf shoes (yet) but this was my view today.

Beautiful! Where??

Ordered a pair of blue saddle with white pebble grain ryden with hopes they'd be similar to the old Footjoy Classics Dry Premierre. Not quite as good but pretty nice. Had to return bc of improper sizing, but for $200, it was a great bargain
post #6774 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter736 View Post
 

Hello All,

 

First time poster, long time lurker here.  I have a question about the AE Dalton, specifically with Dainite sole.   I recently picked a pair up from the Shoe Bank in walnut for what seems like a really good price.  I do like them.   I own a bunch of AE's and others, but this is my first pair with Dainite.  The question is, do you think I should return them and wait for a pair with leather soles?  I intend to wear them mostly with jeans and dress pants (not suits per se).   The sole is rather comfy but I am worried about durability.  I have considered a pair of the Sauk Drives in brown as an alternative.  Any thoughts?  And thank you for all of the wonderful advice on this site! 

 

Here is what they look like-very attractive and very comfy.

 

If shoebank had a pair of Daltons in good shape in my size WITH Dainite, I'd snap them up.  I prefer Dainite soles with boots.  (And with less formal shoes.)

post #6775 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter736 View Post

Hello All,

First time poster, long time lurker here.  I have a question about the AE Dalton, specifically with Dainite sole.   I recently picked a pair up from the Shoe Bank in walnut for what seems like a really good price.  I do like them.   I own a bunch of AE's and others, but this is my first pair with Dainite.  The question is, do you think I should return them and wait for a pair with leather soles?  I intend to wear them mostly with jeans and dress pants (not suits per se).   The sole is rather comfy but I am worried about durability.  I have considered a pair of the Sauk Drives in brown as an alternative.  Any thoughts?  And thank you for all of the wonderful advice on this site! 

Here is what they look like-very attractive and very comfy.


The Dainite sole is very durable, and a good choice with that boot. I have a pair of Daltons and wish that I had bought a pair with Dainite.





In my opinion, dainite is as close to indestructible as anything I've ever seen. Although I'm not a boot man, if I were I probably would sole my boots only with dainite. Plus, it is comfortable as all get out. I do think there is a longer break in period over leather soles.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6776 of 17714
Macky T action tonight. The only acceptable shoe in my rotation for practice studios and crowded bars.

PS, I'm officially the first Instagram user to hashtag #filthybarnweasels

post #6777 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Beautiful! Where??

Ordered a pair of blue saddle with white pebble grain ryden with hopes they'd be similar to the old Footjoy Classics Dry Premierre. Not quite as good but pretty nice. Had to return bc of improper sizing, but for $200, it was a great bargain
Wasatch State Park in Midway, Utah. Hidden gem that more people need to experience
post #6778 of 17714

They are really not bad looking with the dainite in my opinion.  Consensus is I am probably over thinking it.  I have a pair of Walton's with commando soles that have served as my foul weather shoes and done ok.  I think these could certainly serve that purpose too.

post #6779 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCRich View Post

No AE golf shoes (yet) but this was my view today.

Why not yet? Paul hasn't come through with the sponsorship?
post #6780 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post

Why not yet? Paul hasn't come through with the sponsorship?
Haha. I need to send him a highlight video of my swings...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc