or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 451

post #6751 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm928 View Post
 

One of my oldest pairs. Can anyone identify the model?

 


I believe those are TDH's.  

 

PS:  Used just the first letters, so if I'm right, others can keep playing.

post #6752 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

Sam Altman is the president of Y Combinator, one of the biggest venture capital funds in the US. Y Combinator has backed Airbnb, Dropbox, Zenefits and Stripe. Altman was recently in Lindon for a series of meetings, one of which was at the Ritz. The Ritz has a strict dress code that states, "Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie ... trainers and sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club’s restaurants or bars."

 

 

Sam later tweeted "To be totally clear on this Ritz thing: I fully support their right to enforce a dress code, and my right to wear cool shoes."

 

Many commenters concluded this only proved London was not "tech friendly." I have concluded there are just some locations where worn jeans and "cool shoes" are simply not appropriate, especially when he can clearly afford to buy a descent pair of appropriate shoes and slacks. Ugly American indeed.

Those shoes are as inappropriate as they are hideous.  

post #6753 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm928 View Post
 

One of my oldest pairs. Can anyone identify the model?

 

 

They look like Carltons but I could be wrong. Seems they like to rename the same styles when the bring them back. For example it seems like they have had a lot of McAllister style shoes with various names. I vote Carltons.

post #6754 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by miggitymac View Post

Thanks for the input everyone from awhile ago. I received my Merlot McAllisters in the mail yesterday and am taking them on their maiden voyage today.

 

Boy those look nice. Can't wait to get mine in a few weeks.

post #6755 of 17748
post #6756 of 17748

Maxfield Wednesday.
post #6757 of 17748
No AE golf shoes (yet) but this was my view today.
post #6758 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post
 

 

They look like Carltons but I could be wrong. Seems they like to rename the same styles when the bring them back. For example it seems like they have had a lot of McAllister style shoes with various names. I vote Carltons.

 

And we have a winner. Carltons they are. I didn't realize quite how old these are until doing some research today. I bought them as apparently NOS about 10 years ago. Looking through old AE catalogs today, it looks like they were made between 1983 and 1985. The model number is 2982, and the color was called "burgundy analine calf." This model was apparently reintroduced in 1987 but renamed the Kingswood (honorable mention to Redmusic1 for guessing Kingswood), which was made from '87 through '91. But the burgundy version of the Kingswood was made from polished cobbler. Model number 2982 was later re-used for the Knightsbridge Chelsea boot. 

 

I also saw that there are some NOS Carltons on ebay right now in size 10D, showing the original box and some original marketing material. If anyone is interested, here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Vintage-Allen-Edmonds-Meridien-Carlton-Oxford-Shoe-in-Brown-size-10D-NEW-/131809544915

 

The Carlton was apparently part of a new line of shoes called "Meridien" that were meant to appeal to overseas markets. Here's an old newspaper article from 1983 about the introduction of the Meridien line: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19831108&id=rgMiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5E4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=3987,2032667&hl=en

 

The article said the pricing on these would have been $120 to $130 back in 1983. The NOS pair on ebay right now is listed at $225. 

post #6759 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm928 View Post
 

 

And we have a winner. Carltons they are. I didn't realize quite how old these are until doing some research today. I bought them as apparently NOS about 10 years ago. Looking through old AE catalogs today, it looks like they were made between 1983 and 1985. The model number is 2982, and the color was called "burgundy analine calf." This model was apparently reintroduced in 1987 but renamed the Kingswood (honorable mention to Redmusic1 for guessing Kingswood), which was made from '87 through '91. But the burgundy version of the Kingswood was made from polished cobbler. Model number 2982 was later re-used for the Knightsbridge Chelsea boot. 

 

I also saw that there are some NOS Carltons on ebay right now in size 10D, showing the original box and some original marketing material. If anyone is interested, here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Vintage-Allen-Edmonds-Meridien-Carlton-Oxford-Shoe-in-Brown-size-10D-NEW-/131809544915

 

The Carlton was apparently part of a new line of shoes called "Meridien" that were meant to appeal to overseas markets. Here's an old newspaper article from 1983 about the introduction of the Meridien line: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19831108&id=rgMiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5E4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=3987,2032667&hl=en

 

The article said the pricing on these would have been $120 to $130 back in 1983. The NOS pair on ebay right now is listed at $225. 


Ah, yes the medallion is different from the Tom Dick and Harry.  Do you have side view?

post #6760 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

Sam Altman is the president of Y Combinator, one of the biggest venture capital funds in the US. Y Combinator has backed Airbnb, Dropbox, Zenefits and Stripe. Altman was recently in Lindon for a series of meetings, one of which was at the Ritz. The Ritz has a strict dress code that states, "Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie ... trainers and sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club’s restaurants or bars." Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Sam later tweeted "To be totally clear on this Ritz thing: I fully support their right to enforce a dress code, and my right to wear cool shoes."

Many commenters concluded this only proved London was not "tech friendly." I have concluded there are just some locations where worn jeans and "cool shoes" are simply not appropriate, especially when he can clearly afford to buy a descent pair of appropriate shoes and slacks. Ugly American indeed.

Someone please tweet at him: #doyouevenwalnutbro?
post #6761 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

@coolarrowAppreciate the feedback, will probably see how they work for me.

@richieP I did look at those others when they were current. They looked too "generic" if you know what I mean, like a really plain English tan loafer from any brand. Coupled with the fact that- 1) the 555 is pretty unpredictable in terms of sizing, and 2) the sole is actually much thinner and more flexible than it looks, decided to pass on these. Thanks though, seems like a good alternative.

Roger that. I somehow didn't t notice the Bar Harbor before. I have a love/hate relationship with quality shoes vs loafers. I take my shoes off as I enter the house,so I thought I'd continue with loafers. I can jam my thumb in the heel of my J&M's to have then on and off in a jiffy, but wouldn't dare do that with my AEs. Haven't been totally pleased with my Randolphs, so I'll look at any loafer on sale since it's so hard to get a good fit. I know what you mean about the 555 being unpredictable. I believe the Kirkwoods will do better and hope the new Maritimes actually fit when they arrive tomorrow.

On the other hand, my lace ups are so awesome, I don't mind the extra time to deal with the laces!
post #6762 of 17748

Moved your post over here @Gutter736

post #6763 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post


Maxfield Wednesday.
Classy looking tassels. Too bad your good taste in shoes doesn't extend to your choice of coffee... :blush:
 
post #6764 of 17748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter736 View Post

Hello All,

First time poster, long time lurker here.  I have a question about the AE Dalton, specifically with Dainite sole.   I recently picked a pair up from the Shoe Bank in walnut for what seems like a really good price.  I do like them.   I own a bunch of AE's and others, but this is my first pair with Dainite.  The question is, do you think I should return them and wait for a pair with leather soles?  I intend to wear them mostly with jeans and dress pants (not suits per se).   The sole is rather comfy but I am worried about durability.  I have considered a pair of the Sauk Drives in brown as an alternative.  Any thoughts?  And thank you for all of the wonderful advice on this site! 

Here is what they look like-very attractive and very comfy.


The Dainite sole is very durable, and a good choice with that boot. I have a pair of Daltons and wish that I had bought a pair with Dainite.
post #6765 of 17748
Walnut Wednesday:

And from the weekend, the University with denim (blasphemy!):
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc