or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 444

post #6646 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

 

I am considering these as well, but I'd like to ask one last question:

 

If you are stepping on nails, which outsole would be the best?  The Vibram Gumlite Outsole, Double Leather Oak, or Dainite?

If you're going to be stepping on nails, as well as exposing them to paint, plaster, and debris, then as someone else stated on the previous page, look into a proper pair of workboots from a company like Red Wing.  AE boots are essentially dress shoes with a higher top and a storm welt, intended to be worn like dress shoes while providing a little more protection against rain and light snow, not for construction work.

post #6647 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


Eh, I could see an argument both ways. Isn't the up charge to shell for the Shell itself and the JR soles?

 

Yes, the upcharge is for the shell and JR soles.  However, its unbecoming (imho) to sell your most expensive shoes without all of the bells and whistles.  Imagine the most expensive Mercedes came with a lower-end sound system than a middle of the line Mercedes).

post #6648 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

Yes, the upcharge is for the shell and JR soles.  However, its unbecoming (imho) to sell your most expensive shoes without all of the bells and whistles.  Imagine the most expensive Mercedes came with a lower-end sound system than a middle of the line Mercedes).
Funny that your bring cars into this. I was thinking about using them as an example. Can't you get a car with a better/bigger engine, pay more, and have a car in the same line with a smaller engine and better amenities and lower cost?
post #6649 of 17579

Yes that is true.  However, I believe you will not find a car manufacturer who's most expensive car doesn't have all of their best features.

post #6650 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


Eh, I could see an argument both ways. Isn't the up charge to shell for the Shell itself and the JR soles?

 

Yes, the upcharge is for the shell and JR soles.  However, its unbecoming (imho) to sell your most expensive shoes without all of the bells and whistles.  Imagine the most expensive Mercedes came with a lower-end sound system than a middle of the line Mercedes).

 

In the Golden days of MTO, once you paid the upcharge for shell, independence details were available without additional cost.  Most of my shell has independence lining because it was a no brainer as an included option.  That said, reducing complexity seems to have been a goal of the MTO shuffle so who knows if lining will be back on the options list.

post #6651 of 17579
The Oak Streets are an awesome shoe. I think that the only shoe that stands a chance against this carpet though is the 1776. (Would somebody please buy me a pair?)
post #6652 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post

In the Golden days of MTO, once you paid the upcharge for shell, independence details were available without additional cost.  Most of my shell has independence lining because it was a no brainer as an included option.  That said, reducing complexity seems to have been a goal of the MTO shuffle so who knows if lining will be back on the options list.

In addition to MTO, I'm suggesting that AE should make all of their stocked shell shoes with Independce specs. At 650 it's their gold standard shoe and shouldn't be lacking features of shoes that cost less. Period.
post #6653 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post

In the Golden days of MTO, once you paid the upcharge for shell, independence details were available without additional cost.  Most of my shell has independence lining because it was a no brainer as an included option.  That said, reducing complexity seems to have been a goal of the MTO shuffle so who knows if lining will be back on the options list.

In addition to MTO, I'm suggesting that AE should make all of their stocked shell shoes with Independce specs. At 650 it's their gold standard shoe and shouldn't be lacking features of shoes that cost less. Period.


Agreed.  Set the price, include the better lining.  

post #6654 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post


Agreed.  Set the price, include the better lining.  

...and wheeling
post #6655 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

 

I am considering these as well, but I'd like to ask one last question:

 

If you are stepping on nails, which outsole would be the best?  The Vibram Gumlite Outsole, Double Leather Oak, or Dainite?

 

 

Honestly? None of them will stop a nail. You really need something with a steel shank or metal midsole insert - stuff that will come with a good quality work boot. I've heard rumors of some folks that get orthotic inserts with kevlar, but I don't know how effective they really are.

If you want to go with AE boots on a site where there are nails, go for it. Just make sure you know when your last tetanus shot was, because you're going to need it. Also, make sure you have ready access to crutches, because as soon as you step on one, you're most likely going down and suffering a sprained ankle in the process. 

I love the look of a lot of AE boots, but if I'm going to be anywhere near a remodel/demo/construction zone, there's no way I'm wearing anything other than a legit work boot. If you're worried about still looking great, there are a number of Red Wing, Thorogood, and other brands that are far more attractive than you might think when you hear the term "work boot." Look around, you might surprise yourself. Unfortunately, a number of those higher-quality work boots come with a price tag to match. You won't find anything that's in the same ballpark as a $107 Shoebank Freiburg - those ones are generally without a number of the safety features you should be looking for. But, you should be able to find yourself a good, puncture-resistant work boot for a little more than $175. Heck, a good number of the nicer ones are able to be resoled, too.

Seriously, I don't mean to poop all over your boot plan. I just know that I'm a big fan of doing what's right when it comes to footwear. I'm all for starting my wardrobe from the ground up, but that footwear has to do its job first. And, the first job of footwear in a job area is to protect your feet. I'd personally rather look like I'm wearing some clunkers and know I'm safe than look as fly as a mutha' and risk injury because some jackhole forgot to pound down those nails that were in the stud he just ripped out.

You want to sport some Freiburgs or Sturgises (Sturgi?) or Rothsays for rainy days or whatnot? Knock yourself silly. Post pictures here, 'cause I'd love to see them and kick myself for not jumping on them when I had the chance.

post #6656 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm928 View Post
 

 

I am considering these as well, but I'd like to ask one last question:

 

If you are stepping on nails, which outsole would be the best?  The Vibram Gumlite Outsole, Double Leather Oak, or Dainite?

I have to agree with some of the others on the forum about the need for actual work boots versus trying to make due with an AE boot. Redwing and Timberland, for example, focus on their work boot areas and do not try to make good dress shoes. AE makes dress boots but I would question their desirability for an actual work boot.

post #6657 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey14 View Post


They came out quite nice, id be very happy. Unsure if I prefer the original hue or the current however.


They're actually still quite dark when not in the direct late afternoon sun, the shot below is from today in the wild. When I first got them it was hard to tell they weren't black in some lighting. I just accelerated the natural lightening process a bit, which has brought out a little more of the color and shading variation between panels. They fit very well, I'm very happy with them!

 

post #6658 of 17579
How do people size the 201 last v the 5-65 last? I am generally a 10.5C or B in 5-65 shoes, and now looking to buy the First Avenue boot.

On that note, are there any sales coming up in which the First Avenue might go on sale?
post #6659 of 17579
What would the SF do?

I got these oxblood from the CEO sale. Seems really close to me to my existing burnished dark chili. Side by side there's a difference, but not sure there's really a practical difference. (I've got a walnut and black AE already.). Thinking of returning and saving the $300 for another day. Side admittedly looks more unique than tops.





post #6660 of 17579
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminiom View Post

What would the SF do?

I got these oxblood from the CEO sale. Seems really close to me to my existing burnished dark chili. Side by side there's a difference, but not sure there's really a practical difference. (I've got a walnut and black AE already.). Thinking of returning and saving the $300 for another day. Side admittedly looks more unique than tops.
 

This might not be very helpful for you, and may seem blasphemous to some members of the forum, but my policy is not to buy multiples of the same shoe in different colors. I can certainly see why many people do; for example, a walnut Strand has very different uses than a black Strand. But I'd rather put my money towards a greater variety of shoes and try different things. I'm also lucky enough that most lasts work for me, and I rarely have fit problems. Someone who commonly has fit problems would obviously be more tempted to buy multiples of the same shoe once they find something that fits them well. Based on my preferences, I wouldn't have bought them to begin with, so I'd say "return them." 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc