or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 398

post #5956 of 17539

Black strand seconds today :giggle:
post #5957 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post

I use the Leather Lotion pretty regularly on all of my CXL, along with some more extensive brushing than with calf. I have never tried the Bick or VSC, as I'm kind of gun shy about them, because I don't know what I'm doing, or what their intended use is, especially with a pull-up leather.

Would neatsfoot oil be ok to use?
post #5958 of 17539

First post. Have walnut & burgundy Nordstrom-model Cliftons and yesterday ordered chili burnished Strand 1sts and dark brown McTavish 2nds. 

 

My office is presently business casual/sometimes formal--most of my wardrobe is wool slacks and BB non-iron button downs--but we will be moving locations in a couple months and the dress code will become more casual. Deciding on shoes that would give some flexibility was a real challenge and I'm not sure the Strands will fit with chinos but the shoes are too goddamn sexy not to own.


Edited by DustinM - 5/27/16 at 2:55pm
post #5959 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman View Post

Would neatsfoot oil be ok to use?

I don't know. I've never seen a neat, and don't know anything their feet.
post #5960 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinM View Post

First post. Have walnut & burgundy Nordstrom-model Cliftons and yesterday ordered chili burnished Strand 1sts and dark brown McTavish 2nds. 

My office is presently business casual/sometimes formal--most of my wardrobe is wool slacks and BB non-iron button downs--but we will be moving locations in a couple months and the dress code will become more casual. Deciding on shoes that would give some flexibility was a real challenge and I'm not sure the Strands will fit with chinos but the shoes are too goddamn sexy not to own.

Take a good look at those McT's when you get them. That's probably the last pair in the country, so they could be a bit "secondish." Just a warning; they could also be perfect.
post #5961 of 17539

Saddle Suede Boones on casual Friday.

post #5962 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman View Post

Would neatsfoot oil be ok to use?
I've tried Lexol, Bick, and Neatsfoot oil. The Neatsfoot oil is the oiliest, and will darken the leather slightly.
My preference is to use of mix of either Lexol or Bick, with a little Neatsfoot oil.
post #5963 of 17539
Hey guys, been on SF for a while, but haven't really posted much- I've been lurking on this thread and felt like I should start contributing more. I currently have 7 pairs of AE's, and three incoming. In no particular order:

Black Boardroom
Walnut McClain
Burgundy Nathan
Bourbon Mora 2.0
Chocolate suede Strand
Brown Cavanaugh
Red/Green Jingle Bell Mok

Incoming:
Black Grayson (I was waiting on the fall sale, but I ran across NIB firsts online at a price too good to pass up)
Navy suede Cavanaugh
Midnight blue Cornwallis

Considering:
Dark chili Warwick

Edit: not much of a post without pics. It's downright meager compared to some of the collections on here, but I'm happy with how my rotation is progressing (considering a few short years ago I was wearing Cole Haans and J&M's):
5B45A0C5-1447-4C01-9881-400952FFC967_zpsnhunvll4.jpg

Some thoughts on the Cavanaugh: I find it interesting that the Cavanaugh works for so few people. Originally when I was looking for a penny loafer, I went through several pairs of Patriot seconds (incredibly painfully, I might add) before discovering that the 606 last is horrible for me (the manager of the store I frequent mentioned that he's only ever heard complaints about it). I tried out the Cavanaugh and it fit me like a glove- virtually zero break in. I may be in the minority here, but it's a fantastic shoe for me.

Some thoughts on the MB Cornwallis: I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this when I got the advertisement, I was surprised how quickly that sold out. As much as I like the Strand as a shoe (and, judging by the posts here, that was the most popular option), the Cornwallis came came across to me as the more elegant of the two in that color. I plan on only wearing it with suits though, so that was part of my logic.
Edited by orange fury - 5/27/16 at 4:15pm
post #5964 of 17539

Could owners of walnut Warwicks post some pics if you have them please?

I'm very seriously considering the BB 2nds version before the sale ends but it'll be my first monk, so some help would be great.

 

Thanks!

post #5965 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by thera View Post
 

Could owners of walnut Warwicks post some pics if you have them please?

I'm very seriously considering the BB 2nds version before the sale ends but it'll be my first monk, so some help would be great.

 

Thanks!

 

A few I've posted before, a few pages back....

 

 

 

post #5966 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
 

 

A few I've posted before, a few pages back....

 

 

 

Yeah, had seen those, definitely the best examples out there, thx. Did the blog you mention ever go up?

post #5967 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by styleaudit91 View Post

Finally took the carlyles for a stroll today for Walnut early-Weekend after talking with my SA about a lumpy bit in the left sole. Had confidence it would compress or would be able to return. Hopefully they do because they are perfect otherwise!


 

 

Yours look pretty much like mine, except mine are bourbon.  

 

I noticed something recently in the reviews of the Carlyle.  Apparently AE has removed the leather cap lining on the shoes around the ankle on the newer Carlyles.  Since mine was made some time ago, it has the old-style cap.  It's not a huge deal, but I prefer the old style better, as the new one style looks a little rougher.   I'm considering purchasing another Carlyle someday in either oxblood or walnut, but I hope they go back to the traditional cap lining.  

 

Check out this one on Ebay to see what I mean -- it looks like someone chopped off the lining. 

post #5968 of 17539
Dressing it up for the Kennedy Center, third wear of my Cornwallis and I'm loving them. They're quickly replacing my walnut Sanfords as my fun formal shoe.

post #5969 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post


I use the Leather Lotion pretty regularly on all of my CXL, along with some more extensive brushing than with calf. I have never tried the Bick or VSC, as I'm kind of gun shy about them, because I don't know what I'm doing, or what their intended use is, especially with a pull-up leather.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman View Post


Would neatsfoot oil be ok to use?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post


I don't know. I've never seen a neat, and don't know anything their feet.


On Horween's CXL page they like VSC and neatsfoot oil:

 

http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/

 

It also states neatsfoot oil is the final step in the CXL process.

 

 

Saphir Creme Graisse (I think that the Saphir Greasy Shoe Cream is the same product, just Americanized labeling.)  is touted by others.  But if Leather Lotion has gotten you this far, and you're happy with the results, I don't see why you need to change your process.  The Horween site does mention that repeated use of neatsfoot oil will darken the leather a bit over time.

post #5970 of 17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post

Yours look pretty much like mine, except mine are bourbon.  

I noticed something recently in the reviews of the Carlyle.  Apparently AE has removed the leather cap lining on the shoes around the ankle on the newer Carlyles.  Since mine was made some time ago, it has the old-style cap.  It's not a huge deal, but I prefer the old style better, as the new one style looks a little rougher.   I'm considering purchasing another Carlyle someday in either oxblood or walnut, but I hope they go back to the traditional cap lining.  

Check out this one on Ebay to see what I mean -- it looks like someone chopped off the lining. 


Yea mine are actually the lightest burnished walnut ones my AE store had (which I like) and the look lighter IRL than in this pic.

As to the raw leather, yep they switched all non "classics" (see strand, PA, 5A, McA) to raw. In a recent AMA Paul mentioned this was due to demand for more causal shoe features. But I have a feeling it trims a few bucks off COGS as well to streamline production as well. I agree the lining looks better. Mine have the raw edge, i don't mind it but over time (many years) I could see it breaking down a bit. And it does look more causal.

Here's my Carlyle edge.


Vs the piping on a strand:



Can't wear either out tn due to rain, so dinite strandmoks it is! Cheers all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc