or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 393

post #5881 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes14 View Post

Hello, everybody! Short-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'd love some advice on my first (sorta) AE shoe. I'm jumping on the sale for a pair of Strands, I believe. Just need helping picking a color. I'm a 40-something married guy, trying to improve my wardrobe a bit. I would not be wearing them to work at all, except when I fly to the ATL for meetings and such. Otherwise, I'd like to wear them with nice jeans or chinos. I have a pair of Bentons I picked up cheap at a thrift store (Score!)...they're merlot (or oxblood, can't really say), but a tad too big, so I'd like to banish them eventually.

So, what say you, SF experts? Oxblood? Walnut?

Thanks for your help!
I'm an oxblood fiend so that's my choice. Walnut is growing on me though
post #5882 of 17814

I told myself I wouldn't, but I was weak.  Earlier today I ordered a pair of Walnut Strands (I already have Strands in Dark Chili and Oxblood).  This will be my 9th pair of AEs.  The $275 - $50 Amex offer = $225 was just too good to pass up.

post #5883 of 17814

Dark chili Fifth Avenues with Suit Supply up top for an interview.

 

 

 

Apparently it worked, considering the offer I got a couple hours later.....

post #5884 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

@RichieP Yeah I know what you mean about bicycle toes, but for a sneaker I think it actually looks kind of cool. For a dress shoe hell no. The other thing I see a ton are elongated chisel toes, probably what turns me off of the 333 so much.

What's even worse is I've seen both styles combined in one shoe! facepalm.gif (dang, this board needs a vomit smiley)
post #5885 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post

Can anyone comment on how the Sea Island loafers fit? I like the blue suede there to wear with shorts and down here they can be worn year round. They are described to be quite comfortable but I've never been fitted for these and I was told to go from 9E (5last) to 9.5EEE for these. I was pretty surprised at this and was wondering if any one could confirm its feel and sizing.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by whodey14 View Post


We have similar taste. I also ordered the blue stand and have walnut strands, brown and chili Cornwallis. Haha

 

   Sounds like it!




A word of caution...that 555 last is really narrow. I have a pair of Naples that are very broken in and are beatific tassel loafers, but I just can't wear them because the are too damned narrow across the front. My Naples are 11Ds, and were I to order the Sea Island I would likely order the EEE. But your mileage may vary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5886 of 17814

So, I'm getting a new pair of Allen Edmonds this weekend, and unfortunately there is no retailer in my country so I need to order online. I used the official sizing guide to check my fit. It gave me a size 12 length (I was really quite between 11.5 and 12) and an E width. According to their sizing chart if I went with a 12.5 I wouldn't need to get the wide version though.

 

This is the pair I want to order: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Dalton-Lace-Up/dp/B004TDUMJI

 

Does anyone have these and know if they tend to run small or big? Any info on sizing would be great!

post #5887 of 17814

I have a pair and I believe they run fairly true to size for me. In other words, I usually wear a 9.5 D and a 9.5 D was the right fit for me with these. The toe box is roomy, however, so don't be surprised of you have a bit of extra room up front.

post #5888 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post
 

I would go with option 1, tell them you had applied a little bit of the AE premium walnut polish and it wiped the finish off.  Ask if it's supposed to do that. I made this mistake with a pair of bourbon Park Avenues and they offered to fix them for free.

 

AE puts a heavy burnish on the walnut now and that burnish will come off if you do certain things like apply too much polish or rub the polish while it's still wet.  The AE conditioner/cleaner is probably the worst offender for removing the burnish.  I would use either Bick 4, Lexol or Saphir Renoveatur in small quantities to condition the shoe.  For the walnut, I don't even use that much of the premium polish as it does tend to add a reddish hue to the shine.  I use a little from time to time, but mainly use meltonian neutral.

 

Yes, I made this mistake recently too.  Put some conditioner/cleaner on my bourbon Carlyles and now one of them is lighter than the other.   I have found that letting the polish sit and dry for a long time and then gently taking a cloth to them works in restoring the color.  However, I agree that bourbon is the most difficult color to get consistency with.  I understand why they eliminated it.  

 

I was at a film-screening event today and I got to see lots of people.  I saw a lot of men wearing casual shoes, but I saw a few men in very nice suits wearing very tacky Nike shoes.  I know this is Los Angeles, but that's just unacceptable.  

post #5889 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes14 View Post
 

Hello, everybody! Short-time lurker, first-time poster.

 

I'd love some advice on my first (sorta) AE shoe. I'm jumping on the sale for a pair of Strands, I believe. Just need helping picking a color. I'm a 40-something married guy, trying to improve my wardrobe a bit. I would not be wearing them to work at all, except when I fly to the ATL for meetings and such. Otherwise, I'd like to wear them with nice jeans or chinos. I have a pair of Bentons I picked up cheap at a thrift store (Score!)...they're merlot (or oxblood, can't really say), but a tad too big, so I'd like to banish them eventually.

 

So, what say you, SF experts? Oxblood? Walnut?

 

Thanks for your help!

 

All other things being equal, I think merlot/oxblood/burg is lot more versatile than walnut, particularly for business wear.  But, you said you don't intend to wear these for work.

 

However, I'm sorta old school and therefore, I:

 

* rarely wear shoes lighter than trousers

* even more rarely wear any oxford dress shoe with chinos

* and never wear a dress oxford with jeans of any sort.

 

You might consider something more congruent with the casual wear you have in mind for your next shoe purchase.  In other words, a more casual shoe than a semi-brougue oxford.. E.g., it'd be great if a Clark Street in your size were still floating around.

post #5890 of 17814

I agree with Count de Monet's advice.  I would add to it that the conventional wisdom is that shoes that are a lighter color than your pants draw attention to themselves.  Therefore, walnut works best with light gray and khaki.  They definitely aren't inappropriate with jeans, but they'll draw people's eyes and generally look "dandy" rather than "sharp," if that makes sense.

 

I think that oxblood is a great color, especially on a shoe like the Strand, where the brogueing darkens the color up a bit.  Sometimes, plain oxblood leather looks a little too bright for me.  I just ordered a pair of oxblood Strands for myself, and can't wait for them to arrive.

 

Although they no longer manufactured the Strand in suede, you may want to consider is a suede shoe.  They're less dressy than polished calf leather, and go well with both jeans and chinos, and, as an added bonus, look particularly good with corduroy and tweed in the fall.  I'm not sure I would get a suede pair as my only pair of Allen Edmonds, but if you expand your shoe wardrobe a bit, you may find it to be pretty versatile, especially in the primarily casual situations you described.  I wore my "bitter chocolate" suede Fifth Avenues quite a bit last fall.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post
 

 

All other things being equal, I think merlot/oxblood/burg is lot more versatile than walnut, particularly for business wear.  But, you said you don't intend to wear these for work.

 

However, I'm sorta old school and therefore, I:

 

* rarely wear shoes lighter than trousers

* even more rarely wear any oxford dress shoe with chinos

* and never wear a dress oxford with jeans of any sort.

 

You might consider something more congruent with the casual wear you have in mind for your next shoe purchase.  In other words, a more casual shoe than a semi-brougue oxford.. E.g., it'd be great if a Clark Street in your size were still floating around.

post #5891 of 17814

My olive Shannon drive and my new Gustin's both made their maiden voyage today...

post #5892 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TummyBoy View Post
 

So, I'm getting a new pair of Allen Edmonds this weekend, and unfortunately there is no retailer in my country so I need to order online. I used the official sizing guide to check my fit. It gave me a size 12 length (I was really quite between 11.5 and 12) and an E width. According to their sizing chart if I went with a 12.5 I wouldn't need to get the wide version though.

 

This is the pair I want to order: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Dalton-Lace-Up/dp/B004TDUMJI

 

Does anyone have these and know if they tend to run small or big? Any info on sizing would be great!


Nothing anyone will say will replace trying them, but here is what I've found.  My best fit in the 65 balmoral is an 8E.  I state this first, for comparison, since its the most likely other AE you might have.  In the Dalton (which is on the 511), I can go with either 8D or 8E.  If I want to wear dress socks, then the 8D is just fine, but If I want to wear thicker boot socks, I PREFER the 8E, but the D works OK. On the other hand, in the Dundee (also on the 511) I HAVE to wear an 8D (again stating this for comparison).  My Brannock is 8.5 D/E but at 8's in both the 65 and 511, length is not an issue for me.

 

The 511 is a more forgiving than the 65 in toe box, and in the Dalton you don't have to worry about balmoral issues (like on a Fifth Street boot).  I would NOT suggest the 12.5D, since you are between 11.5 and 12.  My best guess is 12 in length, and E in width seems like a safer choice, but D could work also if you don't typically require wide shoes.

 

I would also make sure you buy from a source that allows returns, even if its a pain to do so or costs you shipping.  The last thing you want is poor fitting boots.  Good Luck.

post #5893 of 17814
I agree with BB that suede is something @Echoes14 should consider. The suede Dundee with its split welt would work with a lot of casual pants.
post #5894 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

I agree with BB that suede is something @Echoes14 should consider. The suede Dundee with its split welt would work with a lot of casual pants.


+1 on Dundee's

post #5895 of 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post
 


Thanks for the replies. I understand the arguments against wearing dress oxfords with jeans. That being said, I see it a LOT. The reasons I was leaning towards the Strands were the sale, the Amex $50, and a pretty decent discount I can get. If the strands are too formal, I could always purchase something a little less formal in the near future......

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc