or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 356

post #5326 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin782 View Post

This is the first time I've ever been in awe of the Warwick...they look incredible
Thanks! Extra credit to the subway lighting.
post #5327 of 17714
Hey @blaster did you get a chance to meet Paul G at the Bellevue Sq store today? J
post #5328 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman43 View Post

Hey @blaster did you get a chance to meet Paul G at the Bellevue Sq store today? J

I ended up not going (even though I work just 3 blocks away). I guess I just didn't want to be "that guy" awkwardly telling him I dislike the direction of the company and that their new designs pretty much blow.
post #5329 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post


I ended up not going (even though I work just 3 blocks away). I guess I just didn't want to be "that guy" awkwardly telling him I dislike the direction of the company and that their new designs pretty much blow.

That's probably a wise choice.  Send him an email - I've heard he reads and responds.  I'd be a little more diplomatic/respectful than that... ;)

post #5330 of 17714
9.5D-10D Depending on the shoe. I have AE in all sizes from 9.5D, 9.5E, 10D. 9.5D are very snug on the 65 last for me. Borderline too tight, but stretching allows me to keep wearing them. In something like a 201 last I suspect I might be able to wear a 9.5D loosely and maybe even fit in a 9D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

I don't find hem to be particularly big, but they do perhaps run just a tad wide up front.

What size/width do you normally wear?
post #5331 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

I ended up not going (even though I work just 3 blocks away). I guess I just didn't want to be "that guy" awkwardly telling him I dislike the direction of the company and that their new designs pretty much blow.
Which designs in particular? I'm not fond of some of the new stuff, but I like the Cornwallis, Yorktown, Rogue, Warwick, and First Ave.
post #5332 of 17714
It's a blue Neumok Thursday for me with bad office carpet and standard issue office desk/cube.
20160519_081459_zpsw0qjoqrc.jpg

20160519_081707_zps0ccugsab.jpg
post #5333 of 17714

PSA: if anyone is an 11.5 A, there is a brand new pair of cigar shell Strands (2nds) for $300 on ebay.

 

New-Allen-Edmonds-Brown-Cigar-Shell-Cordovan-Strand-Wingtip-11-5-A


Edited by MattRiv - 5/19/16 at 6:59am
post #5334 of 17714
A fella on another forum is doing an article on his blog about monk straps, and asked for photos. I threw these three his way and figured they could go here.....


Walnut_Warwick_514 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr


Walnut_Warwick_Gray by Armed Ferret, on Flickr


Walnut_Warwick_Linen by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

(Yes i know dark socks aren't ideal but they're the first pair i grabbed to get photos in outdoor light before it went away)
Edited by armedferret - 5/19/16 at 7:01am
post #5335 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post


I ended up not going (even though I work just 3 blocks away). I guess I just didn't want to be "that guy" awkwardly telling him I dislike the direction of the company and that their new designs pretty much blow.


I think the sheer number of your purchase history with the company earns you the right to be "that guy."

 

SOMEONE has to say something about the new "spray-on" lacquer finish. Hand polishing is so much better.

post #5336 of 17714
I believe I've asked this before but don't recall the answer. What shoes are essentially required to be straight bar laced? Which are open to interpretation? I got a pair of black park avenues that I have already straight laced because it seemed fitting however I was curious on the Strand, Mcallister, ect ect what the proper way of lacing would be. Other than the 5A and pa being straight laced everything else I have is traditional.
post #5337 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey14 View Post

I believe I've asked this before but don't recall the answer. What shoes are essentially required to be straight bar laced? Which are open to interpretation? I got a pair of black park avenues that I have already straight laced because it seemed fitting however I was curious on the Strand, Mcallister, ect ect what the proper way of lacing would be. Other than the 5A and pa being straight laced everything else I have is traditional.

 

I bar lace shoes for two reasons. 1) The shoe is an oxford and the v-gap laces completely shut.  2) I would bar lace a black cap toe, regardless of the v-gap.

 

The other answer is that it's all up to you.  I particularly like the look of cross lacing on my non-black oxfords.  When I first got into shoes I bar laced everything, but I got tired of the look and they are more difficult to tighten and loosen, especially if you hide the underside of the lacing.

post #5338 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

I bar lace shoes for two reasons. 1) The shoe is an oxford and the v-gap laces completely shut.  2) I would bar lace a black cap toe, regardless of the v-gap.

The other answer is that it's all up to you.  I particularly like the look of cross lacing on my non-black oxfords.  When I first got into shoes I bar laced everything, but I got tired of the look and they are more difficult to tighten and loosen, especially if you hide the underside of the lacing.

Ok, thank you and that's where my head was going.

What are your thoughts on colorful shoestrings? Blue and white for instance on walnut strands.
post #5339 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post
 


I think the sheer number of your purchase history with the company earns you the right to be "that guy."

 

SOMEONE has to say something about the new "spray-on" lacquer finish. Hand polishing is so much better.

 

The new "spray-on" lacquer finish has one very big advantage: it causes people to return perfectly good shoes when it flakes off, and then I can buy said shoes at a significant discount. I just recently picked up a pair of first-quality brown shell Strands from a well-known ebay seller for $200. Based on the condition of the soles and the total absence of any creasing or rolling, I'd guess that they were only worn once or twice. The only "defect" that I can find, and that was disclosed by the seller's photos, is some flaking of the finish. Once I have an hour or so to spend with a brush and some Renovateur, I'll essentially have a pair of new shell Strands at a $450 discount. 

post #5340 of 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey14 View Post


Ok, thank you and that's where my head was going.

What are your thoughts on colorful shoestrings? Blue and white for instance on walnut strands.

 

I'm more conservative in that sense.  I'll match my belt, shoes and watch strap (if it's leather) whenever possible, but I typically leave stock laces on my shoes.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc