or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 34

post #496 of 17718
Just got my chili macgregors firsts that I picked up from the the clearance sale last week and they look amazing!

I love the color but I've noticed some strange creasing in the leather on the uppers. I've never seen anything like this before. Am I being nit picky or is this a construction flaw that warrants returning?


post #497 of 17718
Had a busy day working from yesterday, so I wasn't able to post pics. Dark brown Kirkwoods in 9D, my 5-last size. Picked up for $77 a week or two before they dropped to $57. They are a little loose compared to the blue 9Bs I own but still fit well.
post #498 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitandkaboodle View Post

Just got my chili macgregors firsts that I picked up from the the clearance sale last week and they look amazing!

I love the color but I've noticed some strange creasing in the leather on the uppers. I've never seen anything like this before. Am I being nit picky or is this a construction flaw that warrants returning?



From the middle picture, MAYBE. But you can't even see it in the bottom pic. Unless it bothers you that much, I'd keep them. You won't even notice in a week.
post #499 of 17718
Bourbon Lexingtons with a bunch of other colors (they match the shirt, I promise).

I haven't been able to find a shoe cream or wax that precisely matches, so I'm polishing with all the medium brown things I can find.

post #500 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkedmoo View Post

Bourbon Lexingtons with a bunch of other colors (they match the shirt, I promise).

I haven't been able to find a shoe cream or wax that precisely matches, so I'm polishing with all the medium brown things I can find.

I use the AE bourbon cream polish for a couple coats then a thin layer of black to bring depth to the color.

post #501 of 17718

For anyone who missed out on the Brogue Suede Strands, check my flair for a pair of new firsts, size 10 D.

post #502 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

I use the AE bourbon cream polish for a couple coats then a thin layer of black to bring depth to the color.

I've seen other use the AE bourbon cream and brush with their black brush. I tried that and it worked well.

These were really inexpensive from the shoe bank, so I want to play with the color!
post #503 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitandkaboodle View Post

Just got my chili macgregors firsts that I picked up from the the clearance sale last week and they look amazing!

I love the color but I've noticed some strange creasing in the leather on the uppers. I've never seen anything like this before. Am I being nit picky or is this a construction flaw that warrants returning?


 

I was in the some-what close AE Outlet earlier this week, and there was a pair of boots that had a funny crease in the toe (far more noticeable than that btw).  When I reached inside the toe, the crease could be clearly felt through the lining - almost felt like the leather on the other side was cut.  I put them back.  

 

If you don't have something like that going on, I'd say those look fine - wear and time in trees will probably make that minimally noticeable at worst.  My $0.02

post #504 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post


If you got those at a store, the SA certainly should have shown you 1) The Bartlett, 2) a Strand in 8.5EE or 8.5EEE.  I don't know how much space you have in front of your toes, so going up in # may or may not be an option.  The reason I bring up the 201 Bartlett, is because according to AE's info on lasts, it both has a higher cone and more room in the forefoot which might address both of @texas9's issues, and one of yours.  Ultimately, if YOU are fine with the gap, and are happy with your Strands who am I (or anyone) to kill your buzz.  But I still think the SA was a bit derelict, although with the way it seems they are stocking the stores, the SA may not have had options to show you.  At the very least, next time you get a chance, you may want to try something a Balmoral in the 201 so you know for sure how it fits your feet and compares to the 65.  The big drawback to the Bartlett and the Independence line is the higher cost, which gets you better leather.

201last.jpg



 



201 Last



The 201 last is the newest last introduction from the Product Development team. This last has a higher cone, providing more room for a higher instep and contemporary shelf appeal. The toe down has fuller forefoot width for more comfort and slight chisel to the toe profile, providing a sleek looking aesthetic which complements our iconic 65 last.

 



Shoes built on 201 last


 



 



 



 



 



 



 





I have had 3 different SAs measure me and they all reached the same conclusion as to sizing.

I will stop by and see how the other sizes fit.
post #505 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitandkaboodle View Post

Just got my chili macgregors firsts that I picked up from the the clearance sale last week and they look amazing!

I love the color but I've noticed some strange creasing in the leather on the uppers. I've never seen anything like this before. Am I being nit picky or is this a construction flaw that warrants returning?




i didnt have luck with the mcgregors. one pair i ordered one shoe was 1/4 inch wider than the other so i returned em. also ordered an E just to try and probably could have worn those but there was some crazy creasing all over the area above the laces right before the toebox. maybe i could have made it go away somehow. ended up ordering a pair of madison parks from nordstrom to try. they look similar to the mcgregors.....those in your photo dont look too bad id probably keep em
post #506 of 17718
@Moose22 Sorry, didn't realize the MCW was gone. Yeah, it was on the 201. The Harry R stuff on the shoe bank might be good (201) but there's no 1sts for that stuff. You mentioned the Jefferson - I wanted to throw this out there. You know how I said the PA killed me forever while breaking them in? The Jefferson took much shorter- the independence lining really "dampens" that pain at the top. I think it might be worth your consideration.
post #507 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

@Moose22 Sorry, didn't realize the MCW was gone. Yeah, it was on the 201. The Harry R stuff on the shoe bank might be good (201) but there's no 1sts for that stuff. You mentioned the Jefferson - I wanted to throw this out there. You know how I said the PA killed me forever while breaking them in? The Jefferson took much shorter- the independence lining really "dampens" that pain at the top. I think it might be worth your consideration.

 

I only just noticed the Jefferson 2.0 is on the 201 last. I have not seen them in person side by side, but it seems that the last difference would distinguish it favorably from the McAllister. I have some original Jeffersons and the leather is amazing, making the fit slightly roomier than other balmorals on the 65 last. 

 

Speaking of Allen Edmonds for Harry Rosen, I was curious when I found the Bloor Street listed on the main AE website for an incredible price awhile back. A balmoral on the 201 last would fit like a dream compared to the PA or Strand. I prefer the less "stubbed" cap toe on this model compared to the PA. But my main hesitation to buy them was the type of grain leather used - on the AE website they looked like a matte medium brown similar to the football leather, which would look awful on a Park Avenue style shoe. But looking at the Harry R website the grain appears to be less pronounced and has a high sheen to it. Compare: AE photo  HR photo Curiously, Bloor Street seconds are now twice the price that firsts were previously offered for. 

 

Any Bloor Streets in the wild?

post #508 of 17718

My clearance Rogues ($181 is stealing) with a lame copycat attempt of Watchidiot's pose. I wasn't sure if I'd go for these shoes given the exaggerated features, but I really like this as a smart casual alternative. My style would stay away from business suits for these, but I can easily work these into a Friday business casual jacket/slacks rotation or weekend denim.  A really solid shoe in my opinion. Interesting that the dark chili versions live on with no price break; probably because they look so dang sweet.

 

post #509 of 17718
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop23us View Post

My clearance Rogues ($181 is stealing) with a lame copycat attempt of Watchidiot's pose. I wasn't sure if I'd go for these shoes given the exaggerated features, but I really like this as a smart casual alternative. My style would stay away from business suits for these, but I can easily work these into a Friday business casual jacket/slacks rotation or weekend denim.  A really solid shoe in my opinion. Interesting that the dark chili versions live on with no price break; probably because they look so dang sweet.



I bought them in Walnut and in Black. Great fitting shoe and great for biz casual.
post #510 of 17718
OK - a couple quick pix before I escape for the weekend...

The McTavish Army

Cognac (4045) --> "Tan Cognac" (also 4045, but seconds presumably due to color - looked like antiqued tan IMHO) --> Tan (4035)



The color accuracy here isn't 100%, but it is pretty darn close. The tan toness are a little less orange in real life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc