Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 264

post #3946 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

@MattRiv I've said before I don't use eBay since I seem to come across so many deals on my own, so picture this -

Ghetto BCF, bad area. 5 pairs of Rutledge, at least 2 firsts, all really good shape. 139.99 a pop, all 0.5 sizes too long for me. I feel your pain.

What sizes and colors? Are you willing to help some SF bros out?
post #3947 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

Hmm, maybe I'll get a burgundy Rogue. But then what color to get the Strand, Cornwallis, and Carlyle? I really need another trunk show so I can get a blue shell Carlyle. And a Color 2 Cornwallis.

Sounds awesome (tho blue might be something like a 5th Ave for me)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

Maybe if we promise not to abuse it, Paul would approve waiving the MTO fee for groups of 6 just looking for a specific shell color, leaving everything else stock...

I believe he hinted at as much during his recent reddit PMA - for MTOs in general, he suggested that he would be open to small group buys ...
post #3948 of 19328

Happy Friday to the Forum. I was going to take a picture, but being a creature of habit, I suddenly realized I was wearing the same pants from an earlier picture, so I just decided to use it again.

 

post #3949 of 19328
I assume you cannot take advantage of sale prices when you do this since sales typically involve an overstocked item. For shoes that already cost $300- $400 I cannot afford adding on another $100 for shell as much as I want some nice shell shoes. :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post

I had received an email from the LaSalle Street store as a follow up to my Cavanaugh purchase of last week.  I wrote back, thanking them for the follow up service, and also inquiring about a burgundy shell Strand.  

Her response this morning:

"You will never believe this, but we just got an email on Wednesday saying that they are expanding our Cordovan program a bit.  We are now able to offer any shoe that we carry in our normal calfskin line as a shell cordovan in either black, brown or burgundy.  There is an upcharge of $110 for special makeup shoes, but we can definitely get you a burgundy Strand if that is what you want."
post #3950 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

Happy Friday to the Forum. I was going to take a picture, but being a creature of habit, I suddenly realized I was wearing the same pants from an earlier picture, so I just decided to use it again.

 

I got mine out of the box.  If it would get above 50 degrees, I might actually get to wear them.

post #3951 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post

I assume you cannot take advantage of sale prices when you do this since sales typically involve an overstocked item. For shoes that already cost $300- $400 I cannot afford adding on another $100 for shell as much as I want some nice shell shoes. :-(
That was why the original StyleForum MTO program got nixed: too many orders for sale or clearance shoes, leading to several dozen $179 boots going out that would have retailed over $300. They were not cognizant of the beast they were creating, and it ended up as an Ouroboros effect.

Also, it would be $110 on top of the $650 retail price for shell; not the $395 calf base price.
post #3952 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post

I assume you cannot take advantage of sale prices when you do this since sales typically involve an overstocked item. For shoes that already cost $300- $400 I cannot afford adding on another $100 for shell as much as I want some nice shell shoes. :-(

 

...Just to clarify...

 

It's $110 on top of the normal price of a current shell model, which is $650 for shoes & $725 for boots.

 

So, take a calf Rogue ($395), add $255 for normal shell price ($650), then add $110 for an "MTO" makeup ($760).  

 

$760 for shell selection on shoes, $825 for shell on boots in shell colors they stock (Burgundy, Brown, Black).  Then add $40 (I think) if you want JR soles.

 

IMO...

 

In my mind, that's pricing at or above AE's seemingly better quality, international competitors for shoes, maybe not boots.  US customers pay less for Carmina stock makeups, for example, which could be an alternative (e.g., #8 double monk v #8 Mora 2.0 "MTO").  For boots - Carmina and C&J are closer to $1,000... so maybe there's value in the odd boot?  Is a C&J (read Peal & Co) cap toe boot $175 better than an "MTO" 1st Ave?  Maybe not...

post #3953 of 19328

AE has a bad habit of eliminating good colors.  Why was the Leeds in chili discontinued?  Why was the Walton in brown discontinued?  They should also bring back the bourbon colors.  

post #3954 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


That was why the original StyleForum MTO program got nixed: too many orders for sale or clearance shoes, leading to several dozen $179 boots going out that would have retailed over $300. They were not cognizant of the beast they were creating, and it ended up as an Ouroboros effect.

Also, it would be $110 on top of the $650 retail price for shell; not the $395 calf base price.

Let's see if we can not wreck it this time.  Personally I won't be trying to complain about minor issues like a dust spot on one shoe being cause for return and remake.  However, if a 1/4" nail is sticking out of the footbed, I would send those back.

post #3955 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebh979 View Post

In my mind, that's pricing at or above AE's seemingly better quality, international competitors for shoes, maybe not boots.  US customers pay less for Carmina stock makeups, for example, which could be an alternative (e.g., #8 double monk v #8 Mora 2.0 "MTO").  For boots - Carmina and C&J are closer to $1,000... so maybe there's value in the odd boot?  Is a C&J (read Peal & Co) cap toe boot $175 better than an "MTO" 1st Ave?  Maybe not...
Yeah, I would hope that at least the JR sole would come along with the shell upcharge. Good point about Carmina; and C&J is almost as cheap for boots if you do mail order from UK of stock models (~$850 excluding VAT with shipping). Nonetheless, I'm glad to see some attempt to work with the customers, at a relatively reasonable price. They should make more models available in shell to begin with, but I can't object to the upcharge for models not typically made in shell. C&J doesn't do it for free on one-offs, either.
post #3956 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post

Let's see if we can not wreck it this time.  Personally I won't be trying to complain about minor issues like a dust spot on one shoe being cause for return and remake.  However, if a 1/4" nail is sticking out of the footbed, I would send those back.
Whiner. That's a feature. Keeps your heel from slipping.
post #3957 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


Yeah, I would hope that at least the JR sole would come along with the shell upcharge. Good point about Carmina; and C&J is almost as cheap for boots if you do mail order from UK of stock models (~$850 excluding VAT with shipping). Nonetheless, I'm glad to see some attempt to work with the customers, at a relatively reasonable price. They should make more models available in shell to begin with, but I can't object to the upcharge for models not typically made in shell. C&J doesn't do it for free on one-offs, either.

My gripe is why should there be an upcharge for a burgundy Strand?  They already make the strand in shell, and they have the burgundy shell, and it takes 8 weeks to make either one, so they aren't already made, so why is it a custom?  A Carlyle or FA, I could see, since it isn't made in shell at all.  That said, I'll eventually end up sucking it up and paying the extra if I can't talk them out of it.  Whining over.

post #3958 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebh979 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post

I assume you cannot take advantage of sale prices when you do this since sales typically involve an overstocked item. For shoes that already cost $300- $400 I cannot afford adding on another $100 for shell as much as I want some nice shell shoes. :-(

 

...Just to clarify...

 

It's $110 on top of the normal price of a current shell model, which is $650 for shoes & $725 for boots.

 

So, take a calf Rogue ($395), add $255 for normal shell price ($650), then add $110 for an "MTO" makeup ($760).  

 

$760 for shell selection on shoes, $825 for shell on boots in shell colors they stock (Burgundy, Brown, Black).  Then add $40 (I think) if you want JR soles.

 

IMO...

 

In my mind, that's pricing at or above AE's seemingly better quality, international competitors for shoes, maybe not boots.  US customers pay less for Carmina stock makeups, for example, which could be an alternative (e.g., #8 double monk v #8 Mora 2.0 "MTO").  For boots - Carmina and C&J are closer to $1,000... so maybe there's value in the odd boot?  Is a C&J (read Peal & Co) cap toe boot $175 better than an "MTO" 1st Ave?  Maybe not...

 

Ouch. I was hoping it was $110 above the calf price, which would make it a really good deal. $760 plus another $40 for the correct sole gets it to $800. For me personally, this makes me choose between AE and Alden. Alden would be $720 for the shell, better fit but a far reduce selection of models. Alden may also take many, many months to fill an order. AE would then be a higher fee, poorer fit for me and a greater selection of styles. This is like being asked if you want to be beat over the head with a shovel or a hammer.

post #3959 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

What's a BCF?

 



BCF= Burlington Coat Factory, I believe.
post #3960 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


Oh yeah, that's about 1/2 of the collection; most of the dressier shoes. I also have:
Loafers - Burgundy shell Westchester; black Verona
Balmorals - dark chili Fifth Aves; walnut Rutledge; brown/linen Strawfut (and a J&M black cap-toe)
Bluchers - chocolate suede Players; sand suede Boones
Boots - MTO chili calf/chocolate suede Fifth Streets; tan Freiburg (and a blue suede chukka from Jeffery West)

Speaking of, here's the Friday Freiburg:


I want to trim the collection to make room for more shell, but I still want Carlyles, Cornwallis, Rogues, and a Madison Park. Help, I'm out of control!

Edit: oh yeah, forgot my green Maritimes. Damn it, my wife might have a point.

Get them in shell!

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc