or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 238

post #3556 of 17636
I'm still upset that I didn't pick up a pair when Nordstrom had them on sale two years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru View Post

Wore my Brogue Suede Stands today.  Allen-Edmonds has stopped using "Brogue" Suede as a suede color term, probably because it might have confused some people.  These are also some of the first A-E shoes that had Dainite soles and heels.



(Yes, they were Seconds.  Some of you might imagine that you see what's wrong.  I don't see anything wrong when I am walking around wearing them.)
post #3557 of 17636

Anyone with the suede Dundee's (Loden/Olive specifically), which edge dressing do you use?  AE website says brown, but I'm thinking the clear would be best if they are just a little dull and not seriously scuffed.  

 

Thanks,

post #3558 of 17636

Self-serving public announcement. I will be listing these 11 EEE Fairfax soon on Ebay. PM me if you are interested before they go to the general public.

 

post #3559 of 17636
For the many of you who are local to NYC; which is your favorite retail location? I'm going to be in town for my brother's graduation next month, and I figure buying him a nice pair of shoes is a great gift (and will give me a chance to order some shell Strands!). I know there's a few, but at least one of them is pretty small. Which has the best stock/staff?
post #3560 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

For the many of you who are local to NYC; which is your favorite retail location? I'm going to be in town for my brother's graduation next month, and I figure buying him a nice pair of shoes is a great gift (and will give me a chance to order some shell Strands!). I know there's a few, but at least one of them is pretty small. Which has the best stock/staff?

I go to Madison Ave. There are two SAs there that I avoid, but the rest are great. I wouldn't recommend the Rockefeller Center store. The small store that you referred to, the 44th st store, is the #1 AE store globally in terms of sales (was told by an assistant manager).
post #3561 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

For the many of you who are local to NYC; which is your favorite retail location? I'm going to be in town for my brother's graduation next month, and I figure buying him a nice pair of shoes is a great gift (and will give me a chance to order some shell Strands!). I know there's a few, but at least one of them is pretty small. Which has the best stock/staff?

I've been to all of them and generally gotten good service at each. I had a few bad experiences at Madison ave, but if Sergey is still there, ask for him and you'll be in good hands.

The location near Grand Central (not the small one on 44th street, around the corner from that one) is the most spacious, and usuall not too crowded. 44th street is always packed. I think that's because it's right off of Madison in the shopping district. Alden Madison is on the same block, making it a dangerous street corner...
post #3562 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I've been to all of them and generally gotten good service at each. I had a few bad experiences at Madison ave, but if Sergey is still there, ask for him and you'll be in good hands.

The location near Grand Central (not the small one on 44th street, around the corner from that one) is the most spacious, and usuall not too crowded. 44th street is always packed. I think that's because it's right off of Madison in the shopping district. Alden Madison is on the same block, making it a dangerous street corner...


So joking aside, I think we've established your the expert, so wanted to get an opinion.  I think this is the first time (at least that I can remember) that I'm looking at the offerings (both new and old) and I honestly don't find anything that interesting.  I'm always looking for more dressy styles - I guess the Cornwallis would be the obvious choice but the whole 1943 / 333 chisel toe just turns me off.  I guess I could always go for a Cambridge but then I'd have to deal with the 65 fit again.  I admit I messed up letting the Shaker slip by me last time so I was happy to hear it's returning, but I'm convinced they'll screw it up and put it on the 511.  So in terms of dressier styles (that I don't have), what else would you recommend other than jumping brands?  And let's get some gray McTavish appreciation sometime - it deserves it.

post #3563 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I go to Madison Ave. There are two SAs there that I avoid, but the rest are great. I wouldn't recommend the Rockefeller Center store. The small store that you referred to, the 44th st store, is the #1 AE store globally in terms of sales (was told by an assistant manager).
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I've been to all of them and generally gotten good service at each. I had a few bad experiences at Madison ave, but if Sergey is still there, ask for him and you'll be in good hands.

The location near Grand Central (not the small one on 44th street, around the corner from that one) is the most spacious, and usuall not too crowded. 44th street is always packed. I think that's because it's right off of Madison in the shopping district. Alden Madison is on the same block, making it a dangerous street corner...
Thanks, guys. Hoping one of them will have shell Strands in a few sizes around mine so I can really dial in fit - I'm looking for mdubs-level perfection.
post #3564 of 17636
Hi, all. Here are my AE's. Been a fan for about 2 months. Yes just the last two months. Started with the Bourbon Mora 2.0 in Feb. Now got 5 pairs total, with one more Strand in Chili on the way. Learned about AE shoes on a wallstreet forum and have been lurking this thread for a while.
L - R
Lexington Black
Mora 2.0 Bourbon
Thomastown Walnut
Strand Walnut
Fifth Ave Walnut - much lighter shades the the other two Walnut.





Bottom:
Brushes and some polishing creams

Next on my list are:

Strandmok
a loafer or driving shoes
more shoe trees
maybe a couple more AE belts. maybe.
post #3565 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post


So joking aside, I think we've established your the expert, so wanted to get an opinion.  I think this is the first time (at least that I can remember) that I'm looking at the offerings (both new and old) and I honestly don't find anything that interesting.  I'm always looking for more dressy styles - I guess the Cornwallis would be the obvious choice but the whole 1943 / 333 chisel toe just turns me off.  I guess I could always go for a Cambridge but then I'd have to deal with the 65 fit again.  I admit I messed up letting the Shaker slip by me last time so I was happy to hear it's returning, but I'm convinced they'll screw it up and put it on the 511.  So in terms of dressier styles (that I don't have), what else would you recommend other than jumping brands?  And let's get some gray McTavish appreciation sometime - it deserves it.

Haha! Thanks, but you're way more of an expert than I am. You've got what, 70 pairs? I've got only 12 from AE, and most of them are more casual. For balmoral and Oxford shoes, I prefer makers who use a 720 welt with a closed heel. I just think it looks more refined. My dressier shoes are from Vass, Bonafe, and John Lobb.

I have a park ave in burgundy shell, but it never gets worn, so I may sell it. The 65 last fits my foot well, but as I said I don't prefer the 360 welt, and actually I also don't prefer cordovan for suit shoes.

I do also have a black Neumora monkstrap on the 333 that gets a fair bit of wear. It's my rainy day black shoe and it is quite comfortable. But I know you don't prefer this last. The Kenilworth in its stock configuration is rather dressy and elegant, but I casualized it by making it in cordovan with a double sole and brass eyelets.

I also have a Bradley in burgundy shell that has a flat welt, but I think the heavy mocc stitch makes it more casual. I like this shoe a lot.

As for current dressy models, I can't help too much as I haven't tried the newer last's like 1943 and 201. But if you haven't tried the 108 last, and don't mind a snugger fit, then the Vernon and Mora are quite beautiful. I would suggest trying either of those. A black Vernon would look quite striking with a black or midnight blue suit.

Good luck. You might want to also Ping polojock as his collection of dressy AEs is quite legendary.
post #3566 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


Thanks, guys. Hoping one of them will have shell Strands in a few sizes around mine so I can really dial in fit - I'm looking for mdubs-level perfection.

NP. If I were you, I would call Sergey from Madison Ave store ahead of time and discuss availability. Maybe he can bring in some sizes for you to try.
post #3567 of 17636

Just cooling my heels waiting for a haircut.

 


Edited by smfdoc - 4/17/16 at 11:09am
post #3568 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

Just cooling my heels waiting for a haircut.
What are those? They look fantastic.
post #3569 of 17636
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

Just cooling my heels waiting for a haircut. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What are those? They look fantastic.

 Thanks! Modified Shell Fairgates. The eyelets have been added and the edge sanded and clear coated.

post #3570 of 17636
@peppercorn78 Some really good info - appreciate it. Interesting...you know I thought the Neumora was absolutely killer but I couldn't see myself as a monk guy when it was around - mistake, shouldn't have passed on that. I did try two versions of the Kenilworth - normal and smu with double oak sole. The 3 eye thing had me a little concerned they would bow but they weren't bad, main thing was they seemed like a PA but as a blucher, like too plain-ish.

I'm very familiar with the 108😉. The 108 & 222 sort of go hand in hand, and unfortunately I'm one of the few people who love everything about the 222. 4 times out of 5 the 108 just isn't quite right, like there's just too much volume. Mora was like that. The Vernon looks really nice - I'll have to try that if I can get my hands on one. Yeah, the Bradley is definitely excellent but with my wardrobe it just wouldn't get enough use. Thanks for the suggestions - ttyl.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc