or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 230

post #3436 of 17874

A cross post for Friday, but the advice applies to AE admirers as well.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

AE Fairgates.

Did you snag those off eBay? I was waffling over some on eBay and missed out. They look great!

 

I search Ebay for Florsheim cordovan. I look for Hanover too.

Carmina, J Crew and Leather Soul are also on my list, just to name a few.

From Alden to Zenga I search from A to Z.

And even though I find a few great pairs, none of them fit me.

 

So when at last I find my size, and at a price I can afford.

I’ve learned to act immediately to the impulse I can’t ignore.

Because if I wait to give it thought and to weigh the pros and cons,

I’ve learned when I finally log back on the @#$%^ *&^% things are gone.

post #3437 of 17874


First outing for my AE for BB unlined suede wingtips with storm welt. Happy Friday!
post #3438 of 17874
Fifth Street Friday!

Really tempted to pick these up in Brown while they're on sale.
post #3439 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmchow View Post

On my to buy list are walnut strands. Unfortunately not in this sale.

Just got a pair of bourbon McAllisters last month that I really love. They are a bit too dressy to wear with biz casual at times which, for me, is darker denim and a button up shirt.

I'm on the hunt for something a bit less dressy. Suggestions? was conserving the 5A but think it's not versatile enough. Then considered the Strandmok 2.0 suede, but not loving the colors

 

McT? Rush Street? One of the boot variants of the more formal staples (e.g. 5th Street, First Ave) or even a darker Dalton? What about something in suede, perhaps less summer-y than the Strandmok? Or a monk strap?

post #3440 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

Fifth Street Friday! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Really tempted to pick these up in Brown while they're on sale.

 

Mine arrived yesterday! Always nice when the shoe arrives in much better condition than the sales rep led you to believe.

 

Edit: The brown is very dark which creates a much more formal look than your dark chili. I bought them as a suit boot, so this works perfectly for me. Had me contemplating a pair in black, but with 3 purchases this weekend, I'm on hold for a bit. Unless the Sea Island is released in full-run sizing.


Edited by middlepP - 4/15/16 at 9:27am
post #3441 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post


I agree with SLCRich, the rules are just guidelines so if you are digging the McAllisters then go ahead and rock them. If you want a little more casual then you could pick up a blucher. The McGregor seconds are on the Shoebank right now in a lot of colors depending on your size for $137 and the Lexington might work too for you at $157.

Agreed, if you like the McA with jeans then wear it. I some times wear my dark brown PAs with a nice Jean and love it. I did just get the McGs as well and they do present much more casual, more than I expected actually.
post #3442 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post
It depends (sales associate's whim/phase of the moon?) [/URL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post
I would call and try; sometimes they'll work with you and sometimes they just shut it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
Ben up at Freeport is a total boot guy -

Quote:

Originally Posted by middlepP View Post

Sounds like I need to start asking around. Too bad my favorite manager (Earl) is no longer around.
I've had my eye on the Normandy for some time, especially after the feedback of a few members here. Just really want a heavier rubber sole of them.

 

All I have to say is... where there is a will, there is a way!!!

 

Normandy with a Vibram lug sole (like the Long Branch) and minimal distressing. The way this boot should have been made all along!

This Kudu leather is sooooooooft. Didn't even need to apply Bick 4 to the insides before their first wear - which has never happened with my boots. I can tell these will crease on the toe-side of the cap, but I can live with that, being such a casual boot. Funny - I've noticed more of the distressing in my pics than I did when unboxing or wearing.

Lug goodness: (Click to show)

My daily @dapkicks pic: (Click to show)
post #3443 of 17874

I have no Allen Edmonds summer shoes.  What are the top 3 choices at the moment?

post #3444 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMiddles View Post
 

I have no Allen Edmonds summer shoes.  What are the top 3 choices at the moment?

 

I wear all of these in spring/summer, the first 3 with shorts.

-Kirkwood (have in brown, navy and red)

-Maritime

-Addison

-Clark Street

-Suede chukkas (Gobi, Amok)

 

I have my eye on a pair of Sea Islands (while on sale) and only if they offering in narrow sizes. (My 5-last size was too short.) I was interested in the AE sneakers, until I tried them on in person. The toes were way to short/squatty for me. Too much of a bicycle toe for me.

 

I also rotate in more of my walnut or lighter color shoes (e.g., McTs, LGA, Black Hills) during the warmer months, often with no-show socks. Then again I wear boots year round, even when its nasty hot in Texas, so take this with a grain of salt. 

post #3445 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMiddles View Post
 

I have no Allen Edmonds summer shoes.  What are the top 3 choices at the moment?

 

Depends on what you mean?  Casual?  Loafer?  Dress?

 

Off the top of my head:

 

- Sea Island

- Strandmock 2.0

- Woven Leiden

post #3446 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post

All I have to say is... where there is a will, there is a way!!!

Normandy with a Vibram lug sole (like the Long Branch) and minimal distressing. The way this boot should have been made all along!
This Kudu leather is sooooooooft. Didn't even need to apply Bick 4 to the insides before their first wear - which has never happened with my boots. I can tell these will crease on the toe-side of the cap, but I can live with that, being such a casual boot. Funny - I've noticed more of the distressing in my pics than I did when unboxing or wearing. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Congrats! Those look fantastic. Damn, now I want a pair. I thought the same as you; those needed a lug sole from the get go. Authenticity is fine, but since they had a lug heel already it was just crazy to make them not work as a bad weather boot. Curious how the kudu will hold up.
post #3447 of 17874
post #3448 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLiving View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post

Congratulations! Buy em now, because you won't be able to afford them later.

Sadly that exactly my thought smile.gif

Kids are like shoes. Soon you'll have too many and cant afford them anymore. At least you can sell the shoes....
post #3449 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post
 

 

All I have to say is... where there is a will, there is a way!!!

 

Normandy with a Vibram lug sole (like the Long Branch) and minimal distressing. The way this boot should have been made all along!

This Kudu leather is sooooooooft. Didn't even need to apply Bick 4 to the insides before their first wear - which has never happened with my boots. I can tell these will crease on the toe-side of the cap, but I can live with that, being such a casual boot. Funny - I've noticed more of the distressing in my pics than I did when unboxing or wearing.

Lug goodness: (Click to show)

My daily @dapkicks pic: (Click to show)



You are exactly right. THAT'S the makeup AE should have used from the start. Mine have a lot more distressing than that, but they were lightly used and under a Benjamin, so I'm not going to complain. They are ridiculously comfortable and I'd buy it again in a different color, if they should ever decide to continue it in something other than brown or black. 

post #3450 of 17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post
 

 

I wear all of these in spring/summer, the first 3 with shorts.

-Kirkwood (have in brown, navy and red)

-Maritime

-Addison

-Clark Street

-Suede chukkas (Gobi, Amok)

 

I have my eye on a pair of Sea Islands (while on sale) and only if they offering in narrow sizes. (My 5-last size was too short.) I was interested in the AE sneakers, until I tried them on in person. The toes were way to short/squatty for me. Too much of a bicycle toe for me.

 

I also rotate in more of my walnut or lighter color shoes (e.g., McTs, LGA, Black Hills) during the warmer months, often with no-show socks. Then again I wear boots year round, even when its nasty hot in Texas, so take this with a grain of salt. 

Thanks, I'll take a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post
 

 

Depends on what you mean?  Casual?  Loafer?  Dress?

 

Off the top of my head:

 

- Sea Island

- Strandmock 2.0

- Woven Leiden

Thanks.  More on the casual side, either laced or loafers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc