The grain version of my First Aves arrived slightly softer than the calf version. As I always do with boots, a few coats of Bick 4 inside and out, and they seemed to loosen up nicely.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- brandAllen Edmonds Brandtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Byrontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Cordovan Dundeetagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Slip-Ontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Weybridge Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 10/11/16 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:13 pm in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 205post #3061 of 154284/10/16 at 5:43ampost #3062 of 154284/10/16 at 5:50amQuote:
Sounds like I need to start asking around. Too bad my favorite manager (Earl) is no longer around.
I've had my eye on the Normandy for some time, especially after the feedback of a few members here. Just really want a heavier rubber sole of them. Was told they would be a full size run starting in the fall/winter, but I hate waiting. As far as the Fifth Street boot, I may just scoop a 2nd on sale and have an overlay put on.post #3063 of 154284/10/16 at 6:19amQuote:
These always have (properly sized) shoe trees in them when not being worn, I trust?post #3064 of 154284/10/16 at 6:21amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Many thanks all - in addition to being enabling barn weasels, you are scholars and gentlemen!post #3065 of 154284/10/16 at 6:25ampost #3066 of 154284/10/16 at 6:32amQuote:
That's what I've been doing.
So...what did you buy?post #3067 of 154284/10/16 at 6:41am
In comparing the three loafers I mentioned the other day, I noticed that the Cavanaugh is made on a hand-sewn last, while the Randolph and Lake Forest are both welted. I understand this is a different construction method, though both are recraftable. Can anyone describe some of the practical differences between these types of construction, especially regarding comfort, wear, life-span, etc. Thanks.post #3068 of 154284/10/16 at 7:07am
In keeping with my tendency to find a shoe I like and then buy it in multiple colors, I recently acquired a pair of Rancourt espresso shell pinch penny loafers and a pair of the same loafers in natural/caramel shell for a good price. I have the espresso ones in my posession, and the natural ones will be arriving in a few days. They are super comfortable and I love the look.
The third was a pair of shoes I had been eyeing up but was having trouble dialing in my size correctly (and subsequently finding the size I needed after doing so) until a fellow SFer contacted me and let me know he had the pair I was looking for and was going to return them. I had actually posted pics of the pair I first bought that were too big for me. I ended up returning them, then the shoes went on an even deeper discount and the other SF member was nice enough to sell me his for cost with no upcharge or anything. Crockett & Jones for BB Black Fleece:
A unique style for sure, but I think I should be able to incorporate them into my wardrobe during the spring/summer.
Anyone wanna buy the boots I'm selling in my sig so I can help finance this??post #3069 of 154284/10/16 at 7:36amQuote:Originally Posted by cc808314
I've got the football/grain leather in Eagle Counties, Gridirons and First Aves. The Eagles have the most wears and have softened some, but as a material all 3 are slightly on the rigid side of the spectrum. Especially in a boot, I like it a bit rigid- shell is a bit rigid, which is favorable in a boot for added support, and the opposite of the spectrum from Kudu material. A Kudu Normandy provides less support but ultra comfort.
With the shearling, I only wore them for rough duty, IE, when I expected to be outdoors more than usual. Some of those days, I spent the whole day in the office and found them tolerable indoors anyway. Between wool socks and shearling, things wick/dry quickly. I'd buy a second pair if they offered any variance, even a pair of Dundees or shoes. Tried. No dice. No MTO.
I went with a lugged outsole, which was worth the small upgrade fee for my intended usage.
As always experiences vary, and I am also a boot guy.
With the shearling, there is a thick pad of soft flexible shearling in between foot and solid material, so at worst the stretch occurs faster than stretching out a pair of snug fitting calf or leather boots. I wore mine with heavyweight wool socks from day 1.post #3070 of 154284/10/16 at 9:13amQuote:Originally Posted by Neo1
Pretty interesting comments here....ive been complaining about this inventory change thing for quite some time now. @RichieP I'm sure you've heard this one before - they bring in some bozo newly graduated mbas that think they can improve the business. It always has to take such a big failed attempt for them to decide things aren't working. I don't know why they can't just have retail stores do the following - just stock as many sizes as possible in a representative selection, floor models only, then have people order stuff? I have to imagine the number of people walking out empty handed and frustrated like redmusic (and like me) would outweigh the walk in sales of d widths, sizes 9-10 they carry. But then again, what do I know.
Amen. The only AE store near me is 75 miles away and a 150 mile round trip for shoes needs to be productive. My last trip down was for me to try on shoes in different lasts to determine what did and did not work. They have 3 shoes in EEE, two of which were on the same last. I left being as uninformed as when I arrived. Many orders and pairs later, I finally determined the only thing that really fit were bluchers. I am moving to Alden for my balmoral shoe needs and just orders some shell 901.post #3071 of 154284/10/16 at 12:28pmpost #3072 of 154284/10/16 at 1:34pmpost #3073 of 154284/10/16 at 2:57pmpost #3074 of 154284/10/16 at 3:53pmpost #3075 of 154284/10/16 at 4:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by danwatts2005
Exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thank you.
The leather sole + sockless doesn't really bother me. I probably would not do that too often, anyway. I have the Kirkwood and wore it all last Summer. I will probably go try each at the store since they seem to be a different animal.
Sorry, I got back later than expected Saturday, and just remembered to grab a few iPhone shots of my Randolphs for you. Definitely a narrow-looking shoe (or maybe it's my foot )
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › NWT Canali Kei Overcoat Size 50 EU 40 US Retail $2,095 9 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 4 minutes ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 5 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 10 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 11 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 16 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...