Long live the bay.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 2/25/17 at 7:45pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- "Make an offer" Shell Color #8 Unworn Allen Edmonds Hamilton Penny loafers Awesome... Last post on 1/12/13 at 10:00am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ***MINT / WORN ONCE*** Allen Edmonds Weybridge 7D (Black) Last post on 10/17/11 at 12:25pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info Last post on 1/24/17 at 7:16pm in Classic Menswear
How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 164post #2447 of 193283/24/16 at 9:36pmQuote:
Each option has its use. Ebay is particularly good for finding discontinued shoes. For example, I have a nice pair of Bryons, that are the same as a Fifth Ave., but on a different last. I purchased them on Ebay, but their soles had a moderate amount of wear and would need recrafting some day. Then I found the exact same shoe in nearly new condition a few days ago for far less than $100. It looks like they have been worn 1-3 times at most. Easy choice for me. Sell the old ones and use the funds to buy the newer version for the same price. I would add that I am VERY diligent in checking for shoes every day as one must be quick when the opportunity does eventually present itself. Long live the Bay indeed. If the shoes is on the shoe back it is easier for me to justify waitning for the sale or picking them up while they are still around.post #2448 of 193283/25/16 at 1:44ampost #2449 of 193283/25/16 at 2:14amI would completely agree with llamaone - if I had to be black and white id say firsts but I've had plenty of firsts messed up too, primarily in the hand sewn area, with one shoe noticeably different than the other due to stitching errors.
Just off the top of my head as an example, my Nashua 1sts have the sole on one shoe attached in a strange way, doesn't look like it will come off, but it isn't right, and they squeak badly when I walk. My Nashua 2nds (other pair) are virtually flawless.post #2450 of 193283/25/16 at 5:10ampost #2451 of 193283/25/16 at 5:11amQuote:
Speaking of the bay...
I just picked up these 9c Maxfields as a size experiment after my brannock sizing yesterday. $24.85 shippedpost #2452 of 193283/25/16 at 6:27am
Good morning friends. Wearing another thrift store rescue on this wet, casual Friday morning. This is the Hancock in brown, style number 8464. I believe it was made from 2003-2005. It's among my most comfortable AEs even though it's a half-size too big and I have to use tongue and heel pads. I'm considering having a Dainite sole added through recrafting to finish their journey into "beater" status.post #2453 of 193283/25/16 at 6:54ampost #2454 of 193283/25/16 at 7:21ampost #2455 of 193283/25/16 at 7:39ampost #2456 of 193283/25/16 at 8:05ampost #2457 of 193283/25/16 at 8:08ampost #2458 of 193283/25/16 at 8:12am
Count me in the ShoeBank arena because of a couple of Ps:
Poor - Don't really have the pocket change kicking around to go with firsts
Patience - There aren't a lot of pairs that I NEED right now, so I'm willing to play the waiting game for a pair I like to hit a price I like
Perspective - I'm pretty OK with minor flaws on shoes because, in the end, they're just things you put on your feet. Yeah, I like them to look their best, but as long as the flaws are minor, I take solace in the fact that what I've got on are nicer than anyone else here at work on most given days.
I saved for a long time to buy my first pair of AEs (first-quality Long Branch). I loved them from the moment I put them on. Took a chance on the ShoeBank and have not been disappointed on the quality since. The only time I've returned were for fit issues. Once I saw that if I was patient, I could get 2-3 pairs of 2nds for the same amount I would spend on a 1sts, I got on board the Bank pretty quickly.
post #2459 of 193283/25/16 at 8:33ampost #2460 of 193283/25/16 at 8:45amQuote:Originally Posted by BackInTheJox
Speaking of loafers (and to revert back to a more AE-related topic), I've noticed that the Ralph Lauren (by AE) Singletons in Brown calf seem to come in two slight variations.
There's the plain, darker brown with dark brown edging that I received when I bought them, such as these:
But then I've also seen people post their brown Singletons with a much lighter edge (and seemingly lighter upper, although it's probably just the lighting):
Anyone have any clue what's up with that? These are both "brown calf" (distinctly different from the tan version). I sold my old ones due to sizing issues, but mine definitely looked like the former and I would have much preferred the latter.
Just pulled the trigger on the Dark Brown RL (Ahem....AE) Singletons. RL is still offering 30% off and i got free 2 day shipping. I wear size 10D in the 5 last and ordered these in 10D. If they don't fit then i guess i'll send them back and try the 9.5D as all of their E sizes are sold out.
Will post pictures when they arrive.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 11 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 21 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 38 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 48 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 56 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 59 minutes ago
- › Cigars 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Yoshida PORTER Paramount Packer HIGH-END Backpack 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Tom Bihn AERONAUT 45 NEW via Europe! 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › How to Buy a Women Dress Online That Puts on...
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway