Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 16

post #226 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post

...

 

@Count de Monet: Interesting point about your tweed combinations and the Strand. I don't wear my Strands with many tweed combos either. Only one, now that I think about it. 

 

Yes, and if I wasn't clear, I was only speaking of the walnut Strand.  If I were wearing some sort of tweedy combo and wanted to wear something that light, I've got a Ravello blucher or my walnut grain Macneil LWB's.  So this time of year, the walnut Strands collect a lot of dust.

 

@Captm2016   I don't know how to answer your question about the Cambridge.  I'm a "wingnut," loving both shortwing oxfords and LWB's (and owning too many) and getting a wingtip in burg / #8 shell was sort of a grail thing for me.  Plenty of purists would tsk tsk the idea of any shell shoe for a business suit oxford but I couldn't help myself. I don't wear them on true CBD days but the Cambridges and the brown calf Jeffersons are 1 and 1A otherwise.  I especially enjoy them both with a navy flannel suit I have.

 

Right now if I were you, a dark brown oxford would be my top priority.  I'd lean toward a punchcap (Fifth Ave) if for no other reason than it giving you a more conservative alternative to your black PA than your bourbon PA provides.  If you think it likely that "one of these days" you'd opt for the burg Cambridge, I wouldn't get the merlot McAlister now.  Put the money elsewhere, like a boot or a suede chukka or (gasp) save your money. :)

 

Of course, two iconic burg shell shoes - at least in the American trad tradition - are a shell LWB, a/k/a a @#$%^& gunboat, and a burg shell loafer.  Both of those are very versatile shoes.  So if you want to address suit needs now, but still want to save toward something in #8 shell that will cover a lot of ground, maybe write down either (or both) of those on your longer term wishlist and get a merlot McAlister now along with a brown oxford.  Then you'd have oxfords in black, two shades of brown, and merlot.

 

If you haven't come across the semi-famous Six Shoe Thread, http://www.styleforum.net/t/338954/streamlined-shoe-wardrobe it is a good read.  Maybe one of the best takeaways is how mapping out a plan when your dress shoe collection is relatively small can not only avoid some duplication later, but also lets you spend more per shoe on a smaller rotation.  .   

post #227 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmchow View Post
 

I'm new to AE and thinking of buying my first pair.  I'm in love with their Walnut color and stopped by their store the other day to try on a few pairs in different lasts.  The 65 last fit me best with the new 1943 last fitting pretty well too, although a bit narrower in the toe box.

 

I've short listed the new Cornwallis, and the tried and true Strands and McAllisters.

 

I wear suits occasionally, but will more often wear these with darker denim (dark gray, dark blue, black)... so need a versatile shoe that will dress up and down.

 

At this point I'm steering away from the Strands as 3 people in my small office have them in Walnut and wear them regularly :)  Wondering if you anyone has thoughts on either the Cornwallis or McAllisters working with Denim?  Counter to my first though, I thought the brogueing of the Strand and McAllisters would be harder to dress down, but it seems like it's the opposite in fact, and the lack of shoe detail on the Cornwallis make them look dressier.

 

Thoughts?


Considering you will "wear them more often with darker denim", I would suggest the McTavish (if you can find a pair) over the McAllister.  Too much office Walnut?; Strand in Chili, Oxblood or Brown.  Another option, Daltons; if you are willing to consider boots.

post #228 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

Yes, and if I wasn't clear, I was only speaking of the walnut Strand.  If I were wearing some sort of tweedy combo and wanted to wear something that light, I've got a Ravello blucher or my walnut grain Macneil LWB's.  So this time of year, the walnut Strands collect a lot of dust.

@Captm2016
   I don't know how to answer your question about the Cambridge.  I'm a "wingnut," loving both shortwing oxfords and LWB's (and owning too many) and getting a wingtip in burg / #8 shell was sort of a grail thing for me.  Plenty of purists would tsk tsk the idea of any shell shoe for a business suit oxford but I couldn't help myself. I don't wear them on true CBD days but the Cambridges and the brown calf Jeffersons are 1 and 1A otherwise.  I especially enjoy them both with a navy flannel suit I have.

Right now if I were you, a dark brown oxford would be my top priority.  I'd lean toward a punchcap (Fifth Ave) if for no other reason than it giving you a more conservative alternative to your black PA than your bourbon PA provides.  If you think it likely that "one of these days" you'd opt for the burg Cambridge, I wouldn't get the merlot McAlister now.  Put the money elsewhere, like a boot or a suede chukka or (gasp) save your money. smile.gif

Of course, two iconic burg shell shoes - at least in the American trad tradition - are a shell LWB, a/k/a a @#$%^& gunboat, and a burg shell loafer.  Both of those are very versatile shoes.  So if you want to address suit needs now, but still want to save toward something in #8 shell that will cover a lot of ground, maybe write down either (or both) of those on your longer term wishlist and get a merlot McAlister now along with a brown oxford.  Then you'd have oxfords in black, two shades of brown, and merlot.

If you haven't come across the semi-famous Six Shoe Thread, http://www.styleforum.net/t/338954/streamlined-shoe-wardrobe it is a good read.  Maybe one of the best takeaways is how mapping out a plan when your dress shoe collection is relatively small can not only avoid some duplication later, but also lets you spend more per shoe on a smaller rotation.  .   

Thanks again, I am definitely set on the brown FA as the next one. After that, not so sure. TBH, I've never loved the looked of a LWB, so if I was gonna get a shell burg, it probably would be a Cambridge, so I may wait on that. If I decide not to though, what about the Jefferson 2.0 vs standard McAllister? What's the difference?

Also, the more I look at the 5S boot, the more I like it. Would brown or black be better if I wanted to go that way for the second pair after the brown FA and wear it with a suit? I don't have to be in CBD more than twice a week so although I always wear suits I have a little leeway to try things that might be seen as less conservative sometimes.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before that the walnut strand doesn't fit well into this selection at this point, but is there any strand that could work? Isn't the strand technically more conservative than McAllister?
post #229 of 19328
If anyone was remotely considering a cognac or tan mctavish, any of the flat irons, or the original Leeds and shoebank still has your size, you have a phone call to make today.

Edit - better add the freiburg & Sauk Drive to that too...
post #230 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

If anyone was remotely considering a cognac or tan mctavish, any of the flat irons, or the original Leeds and shoebank still has your size, you have a phone call to make today.

Edit - better add the freiburg & Sauk Drive to that too...
What are you talking about?
Edit - Whoa!
Edited by mreams99 - 2/16/16 at 2:59am
post #231 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post


What are you talking about?
Edit - Whoa!

You're welcome :)

 

One more thing - figured I'd post this in case anyone's interested.  I finally got to try the Le Marche - when it came out, it sort of generated a lot of negative comments, etc.  I was sort of expecting something that resembled the grey cloud Park Ave but AE's masterful photography strikes back.  Much to my surprise, this was basically a Lexington but with a hybrid tap/lug sole and a more elastic type of leather.  I tried it in black - they did not at all look like the pictures.  With a tiny drop of black polish they could have passed for a black calf Lexington.  So anyone in the market for a basic black colored blucher, you'll be fine with this - about as plain-Jane as you can get.

post #232 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

So my wife bought me a Harris Tweed cap that is the exact same material as the black Shaker Heights boot. Does anyone know where I can get a black Shaker Heights in 12 EEE?

Good luck, man. I've been on the hunt for a 10.5 3E for years.
post #233 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

If anyone was remotely considering a cognac or tan mctavish, any of the flat irons, or the original Leeds and shoebank still has your size, you have a phone call to make today.

Edit - better add the freiburg & Sauk Drive to that too...
Thanks for the heads up!
Edited by jaba - 2/16/16 at 4:36am
post #234 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

If anyone was remotely considering a cognac or tan mctavish, any of the flat irons, or the original Leeds and shoebank still has your size, you have a phone call to make today.

Edit - better add the freiburg & Sauk Drive to that too...

I'd add bourbon Daltons to that list. I just bought the dark brown Kirkwoods last week for $77. At $57, that's larceny!
post #235 of 19328
And when the sale ended, they boosted the seconds price on shell. Sneaky. Guess that means no more sub-$400 shell in the foreseeable future.
post #236 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

And when the sale ended, they boosted the seconds price on shell. Sneaky. Guess that means no more sub-$400 shell in the foreseeable future.

 

Sneaky indeed.

 

And did the Dalton price go up?  I can't recall what they've been at for "full price" seconds recently.  Currently at $349.

post #237 of 19328
New guy, dumb question... Where are you guys seeing these prices? I'm looking for my first pair of AEs and the only place I know to look for deals is the shoe bank.
post #238 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher View Post

New guy, dumb question... Where are you guys seeing these prices? I'm looking for my first pair of AEs and the only place I know to look for deals is the shoe bank.
We are looking at the Shoebank. But AE also has great prices on clearance models at the main site now, although in severely restricted sizes.

Also, March Madness shoes are back. Wonder why they chose grain for the standard blue. And whether I could rock an all-green wingtip...
post #239 of 19328
whats everyones preference btwn bourbon and walnut? i can get a pair of bourbon strands for 177 in my size vs 299 for walnut. ive always wanted walnut but seems alot of guys say the walnut ends up getting worn the least
post #240 of 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaba View Post


Thanks for the heads up!

During the sale the Friebergs were $127... they are $107 now... wow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc