or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 15

post #211 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post


The main reason I asked was because if returning them would be a hassle (like having to return mail), I would have to think about it.  Not many people will ever see that wrinkle unless you are sitting cross legged.  But, if it bothers you and they are firsts, absolutely return.

I kind of feel the same way that they're not that noticeable unless I'm sitting cross legged or something. It only kind of bothers me, outweighed by the hassle of having to return and wait for a new shipment. I think I might just enjoy these. Thanks!
post #212 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

With a little snow on the ground, I've been wearing nothing but boots lately. Here are the Cascades.

Those look great - I like them a lot

post #213 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post

I wouldn't send them back, but I understand. 

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking I'll probably just keep them so I can get to wearing them satisfied.gif Based on feedback it seems to not be too big an issue
post #214 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post
 

Thats AE for ya.  Great customer service... and no one running q.c./final inspection/overview  


I don't buy the great customer service bit.

 

They took two weeks to process my return and a month to figure out that they couldn't make me my shoes. I very carefully chose "in stock" shoes and it has been a month and a half before they ship the wrong things.

 

I am starting to think someone screwed the pooch on the inventory control and they are shipping me the wrong color just to shut me up for 3 more weeks.

post #215 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by manowar View Post

I found myself shoveling snow yesterday at work, and the Promontory Points managed just fine. These are seconds I picked up last year for $127. The football grain grows on you, and seems to get better when roughed up.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


While I would never consider paying for a pair of Vibergs, these could pass for a poor-man's version... if only they had a double leather sole.

 

LOL...I remember saying I would never pay for a pay for Vibergs, then I bought a second hand pair as I would never pair retail, then I bought a pair on sale as I never would buy one retail, then I bought one on pre-order since that is not retail and the makeup would not be available, then I paid over standard retail for a unique makeup, then i paid for a pair of shell that I swore I never would do....

post #216 of 17747

So my wife bought me a Harris Tweed cap that is the exact same material as the black Shaker Heights boot. Does anyone know where I can get a black Shaker Heights in 12 EEE?

post #217 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post
 

So my wife bought me a Harris Tweed cap that is the exact same material as the black Shaker Heights boot. Does anyone know where I can get a black Shaker Heights in 12 EEE?

 

Maybe you can squeeze into the 11EEE currently up on ebay?

post #218 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoedude View Post

Hey guys, first time poster. So I came home and saw my wife had bought me my first pair of AE's, the Walnut Strands. Really excited. Only thing is I opened them up and saw this crease by the heel. Any thoughts from some experienced folks...return or just deal?
image.jpeg 856k .jpeg file
 

 

Dude, nobody -- nobody -- is going to notice that. Unless you're one of those hipsters who rolls up his pants so he looks like he's waiting for a flood, it's going to be at or under the cuff. People are going to see the toe and the vamp, the edge, and the laces.

 

Personally, I'd send it back. But just because I am a jerk. And I'm thinking of how I can make my experiences with AE customer service into a drinking game.

 

If you love the fit, and the rest of the shoes look great, keep them.. Honestly,  nobody but another shoe guy looks that closely at what you're wearing. It's a hidden flaw. The kind of thing only another shoe guy will ever notice, and only because you point it out to him when showing off your new score. Besides, it's likely in the next year you're going to step on a concrete stair or something and scuff the heel anyway.

post #219 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose22 View Post


I don't buy the great customer service bit.

They took two weeks to process my return and a month to figure out that they couldn't make me my shoes. I very carefully chose "in stock" shoes and it has been a month and a half before they ship the wrong things.

I am starting to think someone screwed the pooch on the inventory control and they are shipping me the wrong color just to shut me up for 3 more weeks.

I think they might even be having a few more issues currently. They were fixing up my Sauk Drive. Once they finally contacted me to tell me what they would have to fix they said it would take 5-7 business days to do. I asked them where they were at after about a month. Got a reply the next day that they were done and a shipping notification just a tad later. Coincidence that I asked on the day they had them ready? I think they just forgot to ship them.

Also, how are their photos? The "after" shot shows a completely different color than the "before". The before russet brown looked almost red but their after shot looks almost brown burnished. I hope their photos just suck wink.gif Any experience with that? Well I guess I'll see tmr when I pick them up at FedEx.
post #220 of 17747
Can we have a separate Allen Edmonds seconds "do these look good enough to keep" thread? One that one can choose to read (or not).
Edited by frankmartin - 2/16/16 at 1:08pm
post #221 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

 

Maybe you can squeeze into the 11EEE currently up on ebay?


Already thought about it, but no. 

post #222 of 17747

I'm new to AE and thinking of buying my first pair.  I'm in love with their Walnut color and stopped by their store the other day to try on a few pairs in different lasts.  The 65 last fit me best with the new 1943 last fitting pretty well too, although a bit narrower in the toe box.

 

I've short listed the new Cornwallis, and the tried and true Strands and McAllisters.

 

I wear suits occasionally, but will more often wear these with darker denim (dark gray, dark blue, black)... so need a versatile shoe that will dress up and down.

 

At this point I'm steering away from the Strands as 3 people in my small office have them in Walnut and wear them regularly :)  Wondering if you anyone has thoughts on either the Cornwallis or McAllisters working with Denim?  Counter to my first though, I thought the brogueing of the Strand and McAllisters would be harder to dress down, but it seems like it's the opposite in fact, and the lack of shoe detail on the Cornwallis make them look dressier.

 

Thoughts?

post #223 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose22 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post
 

Thats AE for ya.  Great customer service... and no one running q.c./final inspection/overview  


I don't buy the great customer service bit.

 

They took two weeks to process my return and a month to figure out that they couldn't make me my shoes. I very carefully chose "in stock" shoes and it has been a month and a half before they ship the wrong things.

 

I am starting to think someone screwed the pooch on the inventory control and they are shipping me the wrong color just to shut me up for 3 more weeks.

Yeah but how much are they (customer service) covering for bad product?  Wait and see or just demand a full refund.  They've had enough time.  Hang in there.  We are with you.

post #224 of 17747
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmchow View Post

At this point I'm steering away from the Strands as 3 people in my small office have them in Walnut and wear them regularly :)  Wondering if you anyone has thoughts on either the Cornwallis or McAllisters working with Denim?  Counter to my first though, I thought the brogueing of the Strand and McAllisters would be harder to dress down, but it seems like it's the opposite in fact, and the lack of shoe detail on the Cornwallis make them look dressier.

 

Thoughts?

In the olden days, there were rules. More broguing = less dressy shoe, Wholecut = more dressy shoe.  Balmoral = more dressy, blucher = more casual. Etc.

 

Theoretically, to make a wholecut you need one good piece of leather and no mistakes. Wingtips can be made from scraps, and the pinking hides any flaws on the edges, so they're less fancy. And brogueing was originally a fancy way for poor Scottsman to let the water out of their shoes, so obviously excessive brogueing meant you were a country type or liked bagpipes, so they were considered less fancy than the solid, shiny leather shoes.

 

Personally, I wear walnut Rutledge with dark charcoal denim pants and it works nicely. I bought Rogues for the denim task, but I've decided I don't care if they are balmorals or bluchers.

 

If I ever actually get my Cornwallis, I'll probably wear them with jeans, even though they are a balmoral. The medallion is enough that they're not going to look like formal shoes. In dark brown, they'll go with a lot of office wear, semi-casual to suits, and you can wear them with denim and a sport coat to dress up the denim a touch. And they won't be old-fashioned strands like everyone else has.

 

However, I caution you with exactly the words I used Saturday night when explaining to a nice lady that my Rogues were not at all an Italian style. Be cautious taking any advice on fashion from a man wearing a Bunny Ranch T-Shirt. More conservative members of this forum will shy away from a balmoral with denim.

post #225 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmchow View Post
 

I'm new to AE and thinking of buying my first pair.  I'm in love with their Walnut color and stopped by their store the other day to try on a few pairs in different lasts.  The 65 last fit me best with the new 1943 last fitting pretty well too, although a bit narrower in the toe box.

 

I've short listed the new Cornwallis, and the tried and true Strands and McAllisters.

 

I wear suits occasionally, but will more often wear these with darker denim (dark gray, dark blue, black)... so need a versatile shoe that will dress up and down.

 

At this point I'm steering away from the Strands as 3 people in my small office have them in Walnut and wear them regularly :)  Wondering if you anyone has thoughts on either the Cornwallis or McAllisters working with Denim?  Counter to my first though, I thought the brogueing of the Strand and McAllisters would be harder to dress down, but it seems like it's the opposite in fact, and the lack of shoe detail on the Cornwallis make them look dressier.

 

Thoughts?

I don't own a pair, but our VP wears his walnut McAllisters with anything from suits, chinos and jeans.  I think it'll be a more versatile shoe than the Cornwallis.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc