or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 947

post #14191 of 17757

I think the only thing I will be able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on is a second quality pair of McAllisters (Walnut probably) or the Delray since those are the most aggressively discounted. Fifth Ave is tempting, but I would probably only want Brown Burnished and that is awfully similar to my Bourbon FAs.

 

Then again, there are also the casual models like the Strandmok which are priced in my strike zone though I rate them as less of a "value" since they are marked down less from their normal prices.

 

Or... there are the CM Suede Leeds I could go with.

 

Any opinions? As a reminder, here is the current fleet:

 

 

 

I think next year I will have to make fewer purchases to broaden my selection but with the expectation that I am going to pay a bit more for each pair.

post #14192 of 17757
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Hubbins View Post

I think the only thing I will be able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on is a second quality pair of McAllisters (Walnut probably) or the Delray since those are the most aggressively discounted. Fifth Ave is tempting, but I would probably only want Brown Burnished and that is awfully similar to my Bourbon FAs.

Then again, there are also the casual models like the Strandmok which are priced in my strike zone though I rate them as less of a "value" since they are marked down less from their normal prices.

Or... there are the CM Suede Leeds I could go with.

Any opinions? As a reminder, here is the current fleet:





I think next year I will have to make fewer purchases to broaden my selection but with the expectation that I am going to pay a bit more for each pair.

I just posted pics of my new walnut McAllister. I absolutely love them.
post #14193 of 17757

Happily back on the West coast and out running errands in vintage Hanover LWB. You forum members in the path of Hurricane Matthew keep dry and get the heck out of the way.

 

Warning: Spoiler! Non AE content, Shield eyes if necessary. (Click to show)
post #14194 of 17757
I, too, am a bit disappointed in the pricing. If they had marked shell seconds down to $399 and the Independence line to $299, I would likely have bought either shell Strands or brown Barletts. I'm a fan of both the Fifth Avenues and McAllisters in chili and brown, but I have enough work shoes at the moment. Chili Achesons, which are probably next on my list, are also a bit pricier than they were during the July sale.

It definitely seems as if Allen Edmonds has more sales than they once did. In the past, I've bought pairs that I didn't need, but which were on my "someday" list and being sold at a fair price, so I thought, "I should buy those at $199 (or whatever) while I still can." Then sales became so much more common that I stopped doing that, because there would always be another sale. But perhaps my initial approach was the right one -- sometimes, if a price is good, you should grab it, because it may not be available again for a long time.
Edited by BespokeBrooklyn - 10/6/16 at 11:32am
post #14195 of 17757

Well, crap. The Nordstrom Acorn Hilfire Neumok is gone in my size. I guess the speculation about that one being around for a while was incorrect. Get it while you can for $199.90.

post #14196 of 17757

Another question. I have a number of shoes from AE, but I've never purchased from the Shoe Bank. I'm looking at the Fifth Avenue in chili as well as perhaps the McAllister. Given the current AE sales, it looks like cost difference for "seconds" as opposed to a brand new pair for each of these is $50. Given that minimal price difference, would you guys go with a brand new pair or still snag one from the Shoe Bank? TIA!

post #14197 of 17757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlife View Post
 

Gorgeous!

 

Thanks! Apologies for two posts on the same day, but here they are in full sunlight for any Oxblood fans out there: 

 

post #14198 of 17757

@SLCRich :-)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm928 View Post
 

 

Thanks! Apologies for two posts on the same day, but here they are in full sunlight for any Oxblood fans out there: 

 

post #14199 of 17757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post
 

Another question. I have a number of shoes from AE, but I've never purchased from the Shoe Bank. I'm looking at the Fifth Avenue in chili as well as perhaps the McAllister. Given the current AE sales, it looks like cost difference for "seconds" as opposed to a brand new pair for each of these is $50. Given that minimal price difference, would you guys go with a brand new pair or still snag one from the Shoe Bank? TIA!

New will come with shoe bags if you care from the shoe bank you will not get the shoe bags.

 

I have bought many of them from the shoebanks and also new from AE.com. I think both are a crap shoot as I have received new shoes that could have been seconds and seconds that I have no idea what made them a second they look perfect.

 

Both can be returned if you are not happy so that's equal.

 

I tend to go for the ones in the shoe bank when the price is 50% of original of less.

 

Not sure of your size but always a good idea to also check the AE ebay store. I think I seen they have new first quality McAllister for $245 but this is the same as the sale price I believe. But it goes to show you that you sometimes don't need to wait for the sale you could have gotten the McAlister first quality for the past several weeks on the AE ebay store without waiting for the sale.

 

Really I think it up to how you feel based on my experience there is no guarantee new or shoebank that you will get a perfect shoe so IMO the only real diff is the price and the shoe bags.

post #14200 of 17757
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm928 View Post
 

 

Thanks! Apologies for two posts on the same day, but here they are in full sunlight for any Oxblood fans out there: 

 

 

Being that I just ordered a pair of these yesterday at the sale price, pictures like this just make me even more excited about them getting here.  Unfortunately, they're coming all the way across the country so I've got a week to wait.

post #14201 of 17757
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
 

New will come with shoe bags if you care from the shoe bank you will not get the shoe bags.

 

I have bought many of them from the shoebanks and also new from AE.com. I think both are a crap shoot as I have received new shoes that could have been seconds and seconds that I have no idea what made them a second they look perfect.

 

Both can be returned if you are not happy so that's equal.

 

I tend to go for the ones in the shoe bank when the price is 50% of original of less.

 

Not sure of your size but always a good idea to also check the AE ebay store. I think I seen they have new first quality McAllister for $245 but this is the same as the sale price I believe. But it goes to show you that you sometimes don't need to wait for the sale you could have gotten the McAlister first quality for the past several weeks on the AE ebay store without waiting for the sale.

 

Really I think it up to how you feel based on my experience there is no guarantee new or shoebank that you will get a perfect shoe so IMO the only real diff is the price and the shoe bags.


Thanks, this is helpful. I'm with you in that 50% of the original price definitely triggers a shoe bank buy, but at only a $50 discount I'm hesitating. I called, and they said the particular shoe I'm looking at looks great except for creasing on one shoe from try-ons. Might be worth a shot, although perhaps I should go with something like another Strand at a $100+ discount instead.

post #14202 of 17757
Verona vThursday:

7E4532E8-2E77-4A9D-8DA3-055A3807E212_zpsmvx0x2tw.jpg

I want the brown, but I don't want to pay anywhere near retail lol.
post #14203 of 17757
I would also have grabbed a snuff suede second in the Acheson or Strand, but, being brand new, it's understandable that they don't yet have many seconds in my unusual size.
post #14204 of 17757

Wore my Lombards today.  Think they were Cognac when I got them.  Have no idea what color they are now after several years of wearing and polishing.  Near as I can figure, they're just about this color now........

post #14205 of 17757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post
 


Thanks, this is helpful. I'm with you in that 50% of the original price definitely triggers a shoe bank buy, but at only a $50 discount I'm hesitating. I called, and they said the particular shoe I'm looking at looks great except for creasing on one shoe from try-ons. Might be worth a shot, although perhaps I should go with something like another Strand at a $100+ discount instead.

 

If you can find a second with only a creasing problem, that's the best kind of problem you will find.  That's going to happen anyway with wear.  There's several much more disastrous problems that can happen with a pair of seconds.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc