or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 900

post #13486 of 17678
I have the Liverpools and think they're fantastic. But I'm also embarrassed to say I have yet to take them on their maiden voyage.

Bernie
post #13487 of 17678
But you've taken them out and looked at them adoringly, buffed them, then carefully put them away, right? I mean, everyone does that. Right?
post #13488 of 17678

Raining Monday... golden brown CXL Rush Streets and navy suit pants, paired with an odd jacket.

 

My daily @dapkicks pic: (Click to show)
post #13489 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incainwetrust View Post


I mostly wear cuffed raw denim and khaki chinos. Should look fine?


Yeah, I did some Googling and the blue version seems more versatile than the green version anyways. You should be able to make that work with most of your outfits.

post #13490 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc S View Post

Anybody here have the Liverpools? Would love to see some pics in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

But you've taken them out and looked at them adoringly, buffed them, then carefully put them away, right? I mean, everyone does that. Right?

Um, I've looked at them, yes. But no buffing yet!

Bernie

Bernie
post #13491 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incainwetrust View Post

I really love the Blue Neumoks but I'm having trouble finding fits online with these to compare with my wardrobe. Are these too bold of a color to match?The gentleman who own these, what do you usually wear when you rotate these in? Thanks a bunch.

I'm in a similar boat, but I just pulled the trigger anyway because I just wanted them! I imagine they'll work well with jeans, but i'm open to other matches as well. I just ordered a second pair from the shoebank as i'm not 100% on the condition of my first pair (and I haven't worn them), so i'll choose the best pair and return the other. They look amazing, though!

-James
post #13492 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathiel View Post

I have the Liverpools and think they're fantastic. But I'm also embarrassed to say I have yet to take them on their maiden voyage.

Bernie

Sounds like tomorrow is their lucky day, complete with pics!! Haha.
post #13493 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc S View Post

Sounds like tomorrow is their lucky day, complete with pics!! Haha.

I'm thinking Thursday night. Got a date with the world-famous Cleveland Orchestra's season opener and am thinking they might look good with my charcoal suit.

Bernie
post #13494 of 17678
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I have a question on my burgundy shell cordovan strands. Grabbed these in an MTO a little over a year ago and they recently developed an annoying squeaking noise when walking. Basically they sound like a pair of cheap shoes.

A couple of weeks ago I read somewhere on this site that this could be due to AE using a non-steel shank (don't recall what the poster said it was made of, only that it wasn't steel like Aldens). I called AE recrafting to get their opinion and the lady I spoke with indicated that AE doesn't use a shank in their shoes. Does this makes sense? I don't know much about shoe construction but I assumed a shank was a part of each shoe? Follow-up question, the lady indicated that rubbing mink oil on the inside of the blucher part of the shoe above the tongue, Does this make sense?

Most of my shoes are Aldens but unquestionably my two favorite pair of shoes are my burgundy and walnut shell strands. I have virtually stopped wearing the burgundy ones due to the squeaking and I am afraid that the walnut ones will follow a similar fate. Thanks.
post #13495 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by billikenman View Post


I do a little leather working for fun on the side (not my day job).  Wallets and belts and that sort of thing.  That said, I know there are people much more knowledgeable than myself on here so feel free to correct or offer suggestions, but here's my method:

1)  Get the shoes you're going to be dyeing, remove the shoe laces and give them a good cleaning.  Specifically, yoll need to get rid of all the build-up polishes, waxes, and as much of the previous dye as possible.  I use acetone.  It's a harsh chemical and will dry out the leather, but we'll re-condition it later on in the process.  It's very very important to get as much of the wax, polish, and previous dye off of the shoe as possible so the new dye can soak into the leather properly, and evenly.

2)  Figure out what color and brand of dye you're going to use.  I use Fiebing's - they have a Professional line and a standard line.  I've used both, and like them both.  They have more color options in their standard line.  If you have a Tandy Leather store in your vicinity, you can browse all the leather dyes and see samples of what they look like on a finished product.

3)  Tape off any parts of the shoe that you don't want dyed (sole edges, heels maybe, especially if you're messy).  This Fibbing's dye is strong stuff.  Put on latex gloves (the dye will leave stains on your hands for days).  

4)  Dye the shoes.  Using either a dauber (which usually comes with the box of Fiebing's), or a rag, begin applying the dye.  Use circular motions and push it deep into the leather.    After applying the dye all over, let it dry for a little bit (ten minutes?) and then use a clean rag and wipe the shoe vigorously.  This will blend in the color somewhat, and bring out a bit of a sheen.  At this point, add another layer of dye if you want to, or if you need to in order to even out the coloring.  Generally additional applications of dye will lead to a darker and more uniform color.  You can achieve some cool low lights and highlights by going heavier in some spots (like Lobb's museum calf).  

5)  Condition / Polish / Wax.  You'll want a good conditioner to put moisture back in the shoes, because between the acetone (or other stripping solution) and the dye, they'll need it.  I use something like a Carnauba cream, Saphir Reno, then applications of cream polish.  The combination of these multiple applications will also help to even out and redistribute the dye on the shoes and smooth out the color just a bit.   Then I finish with a coat or two of saphir colored and clear wax.  
These are good directions. I've done this too. The one suggestion that I would add is to dilute the dye. It's easier to strengthen the dye later, or add more "coats" of dye later. But you can't make the leather lighter once the dye has been applied.
post #13496 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I have a question on my burgundy shell cordovan strands. Grabbed these in an MTO a little over a year ago and they recently developed an annoying squeaking noise when walking. Basically they sound like a pair of cheap shoes.

A couple of weeks ago I read somewhere on this site that this could be due to AE using a non-steel shank (don't recall what the poster said it was made of, only that it wasn't steel like Aldens). I called AE recrafting to get their opinion and the lady I spoke with indicated that AE doesn't use a shank in their shoes. Does this makes sense? I don't know much about shoe construction but I assumed a shank was a part of each shoe? Follow-up question, the lady indicated that rubbing mink oil on the inside of the blucher part of the shoe above the tongue, Does this make sense?

Most of my shoes are Aldens but unquestionably my two favorite pair of shoes are my burgundy and walnut shell strands. I have virtually stopped wearing the burgundy ones due to the squeaking and I am afraid that the walnut ones will follow a similar fate. Thanks.

Hey bud,

 

She's right.  AEs thing has always been the "no shank" construction.  I would definitely try some mink oil or leather conditioner on the tongue/blucher part of the shoe like they recommend.

post #13497 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

These are good directions. I've done this too. The one suggestion that I would add is to dilute the dye. It's easier to strengthen the dye later, or add more "coats" of dye later. But you can't make the leather lighter once the dye has been applied.

Thanks for the suggestion. What's the best way to dilute the dye? Is there a specific solution you'd recommend?
post #13498 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by billikenman View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. What's the best way to dilute the dye? Is there a specific solution you'd recommend?
I dilute my dye with isopropyl alcohol. If you're using a water-based dye, dilute with water.
post #13499 of 17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

BTW, I hope that my above comments are not seen as critical or argumentative, merely clarifying of my previously expressed opinion.

Since I'm teaching middle school today, my own garb is decidedly casual. I'll post pics on the Gustin thread a little later, as I'm not wearing AEs atm.


I did not take you comments that way.  I hope you did not feel I was implying that you wish for some Dickensian world of strict class structure, and 'haves' and 'please sir, I'd like some more.'

 

Would I wear Bradleys (or Daltons) with a worsted Navy suit? or a tuxedo shirt to a wedding?  No.  Consideration to appropriateness of ones attire goes without saying.  I just don't think that the rigorous interpretation traditional norms are, nor should be, the de rigueur of style.  If someone were to wear black Leeds with said Navy suit in a business environment, I certainly would not flinch at their choice, nor would I think he is casually dressed because his shoes are not 'sleek'.

 

Perhaps the gist of my previous comment should have been that I don't equate 'sleek' with formal or dressy (regardless of shoe-width), though extremes like the Alden Tru-Balance are unlikely in those categories.  

post #13500 of 17678

Good news! Looks like shell will be on sale this RDA! I received a hand-written card from the Walnut Creek store reminding me of the upcoming RDA that said ALL AE merchandise is 15-35% off, and that even shell cordovan is discounted.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc