Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- "Make an offer" Shell Color #8 Unworn Allen Edmonds Hamilton Penny loafers Awesome... Last post on 1/12/13 at 10:00am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ***MINT / WORN ONCE*** Allen Edmonds Weybridge 7D (Black) Last post on 10/17/11 at 12:25pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info Last post on Yesterday at 7:40 am in Classic Menswear
How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 89post #1321 of 193273/2/16 at 8:38ampost #1322 of 193273/2/16 at 8:48ampost #1323 of 193273/2/16 at 8:54am
Am I the only one who doesn't like the Independence Line? I have a pair of Williams in dark brown and they are my least favorite pair of AE I own. The leather is soft, but that causes it to crease a lot. Additionally, I find the double oak sole to be extremely uncomfortable. I guess I need to list them on the 'bay. 9D if anyone is interested.post #1324 of 193273/2/16 at 8:54ampost #1325 of 193273/2/16 at 8:59amQuote:Originally Posted by alexnb
Just got the new suede Strandmok 2.0 in "saddle" suede in and wanted to share the pictures. I was very excited about this shoe, because I've been looking for an oxford in suede that comes in narrow, and there finally is one.
In your photos the "Saddle" color looks lighter than in those at AE. Would you say your pictures give an accurate impression of the color of these shoes?post #1326 of 193273/2/16 at 9:06am
My Bartlett's ( 2nds) arrived from Paramus. Love the way they feel. Thanks to Alyssa on 44th street for putting up with my sizing requests with a smile. My magnifying glass perusal noticed some uneven stitching where the inside lining meets the outside calf skin, around the ankle/heel. Without the glass, I could find little else, if anything wrong with these shoes. For $330 something with no tax and free shipping, it was a no-brainer. ( I however, did take them off before retiring for the night!)
Also, light brown Saphir Creme Polish arrived today, so, I'll be working on those tiger stripes and uneven burnishing ( Bourbon Strands), following a previous poster's suggestion. Maiden voyages soon to be taken on 3 pair, once the snow finally subsides. ( Walnut Fifths, Dark Brown Patriots, and those Bartletts..all seconds!) Phew! ( I've been one of the order for 20+ years without even knowing! Perhaps I'll be Knighted!)
post #1327 of 193273/2/16 at 9:09amQuote:
I'd say the photos are pretty accurate. The shoes may be just the tiniest bit darker in real life (the flash added a little light I suppose)... but it's pretty accurate. They are not a dark brown like the Snuff Dundees.post #1328 of 193273/2/16 at 9:20amQuote:Originally Posted by FaRKle
Quote:Originally Posted by smfdoc
Chili leather wraps the feet
I smile with new style
I love the Rutledge!
Was Chili color standard?
New Haikus weekly?
Thanks. This shoe was said to be walnut, but it sure looks chili to me. Not sure if it is darkened by the previous owner or not. As for Haikus, a definite maybe. I do not write them muchpost #1329 of 193273/2/16 at 9:24amQuote:
Thanks! Would you say the AE photos make this color look darker than they actually are? I wasn't much interested upon seeing the color there but your photos changed my mind.post #1330 of 193273/2/16 at 9:35amQuote:
Maybe a little darker. I mean the problem is the AE photos are on a pure white background, which changes the relative color of the shoes.
Bottom line is my photos are accurate as to the color of the shoes.
Can always return them for free if you don't like them.post #1331 of 193273/2/16 at 9:54am@middlepP I found those Mojave at BCF also - good looking style but decided to pass. For me they were identical to the Gobi except for the sole. Same really large fit with a ton of volume. Crepe sole was very comfortable but provided little support (then again this is from mini-lug sole's biggest fan). If you have the Gobi id say the original Mojave is redundant.post #1332 of 193273/2/16 at 10:38amQuote:Originally Posted by redmusic1
Firstly, nice patina on the Delray.
Secondly, what you say is true. I stand corrected to some degree, as the pigment in the cream (and to a lesser extent polish) can in fact slowly dye the leather over time. Additionally, polish and conditioner have an abrasive that will remove the darker burnishing over a long period time with brushing, and the lighter polish will fill in more worn areas with the new color, thus working to lighten the shoe over time as well. My primary issue is with the use of "just" when referring to the lightening of a shoe's color. A consistent use of a lighter shoe cream can indeed work to lighten the shoes color, but not to the extent that I would ever recommend buying a darker shoe several shades lighter than the actual color I desire. I must appreciate the color as is, even if I panned on seeing it lighten a bit over time. And I certainly wouldn't bank on being able to get back to the leather's original color prior to having been burnished, which seems to be what the OP suggested.
Also, I'd be interested in seeing how different the Delray looked completely stripped down at this point. Not that I'm suggesting you do so, but if you ever do strip the Delray, let me know the difference. I would be curious to know if it was visibly more than a half shade darker underneath.
Good question. I have no immediate plans to strip down the Delray but the attached pic might provide a partial answer. You can see the variation between the leather hidden by the tongue and the leather that's been exposed to the sun. I probably used conditioner on the tongues ~20% of the time.
Agreed on your point of not buying dark shoes and expecting to be able to get a lighter shade. I have to like a shoe's original shade in order to buy it but I do enjoy thinking about what it could look like and guiding the development of its patina.
That is the Wendell.post #1333 of 193273/2/16 at 10:42amBlack Park Avenue for a funeral today. These have been consigned to 'wedding, funeral and interview' duty and are stored on a high shelf in my closet. Each time I reach for them I wish I had opportunity to wear them more often. I rarely wear suits anymore and even my odd jackets are on the casual side. I sometimes think of pairing them with my navy blazer but then the 'mall cop' image comes to mind.post #1334 of 193273/2/16 at 11:32ampost #1335 of 193273/2/16 at 11:43am
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 19 seconds ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 53 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Rider Boot Company 6 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 10 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 14 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...