Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- brandAllen Edmonds Brandtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Byrontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Cordovan Dundeetagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Slip-Ontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Weybridge Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:15 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info Last post on Today at 4:07 pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:25 pm in Classic Menswear
How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 864post #12946 of 175589/16/16 at 7:52ampost #12947 of 175589/16/16 at 8:02ampost #12948 of 175589/16/16 at 8:05amQuote:
I am trying very hard to stay away from more wingtips. But I don't blame you for ordering as well. They look fantastic. Let's see how much willpower I have. Nice shoes @M635GUY !post #12949 of 175589/16/16 at 8:58amQuote:Originally Posted by cc808314
I am trying very hard to stay away from more wingtips. But I don't blame you for ordering as well. They look fantastic. Let's see how much willpower I have. Nice shoes @M635GUY !
FBWs exist on other threads too! An online buddy pointed me towards some new old stock Hanover long wings in my size on Ebay. They lasted for another 12 seconds and are now on the way. Did I need more wing tips? No. But this makes 6 pairs now, but I had nothing in this color range and I love vintage, made in USA, when that actually meant a quality product.Warning: Spoiler! Non AE content, Shield eyes if necessary. (Click to show)post #12950 of 175589/16/16 at 9:07amQuote:Originally Posted by smfdoc
FBWs exist on other threads too! An online buddy pointed me towards some new old stock Hanover long wings in my size on Ebay. They lasted for another 12 seconds and are now on the way. Did I need more wing tips? No. But this makes 6 pairs now, but I had nothing in this color range and I love vintage, made in USA, when that actually meant a quality product.
Warning: Spoiler! Non AE content, Shield eyes if necessary. (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! Non AE content, Shield eyes if necessary. (Click to show)
Haha, aren't we all? BTW, nice pick up. I have a thing for Vintage pairs, as well. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by in my size. I have only been able to get a Florsheim chili grain leather pair, and the #8 shells I picked up are a little big.post #12951 of 175589/16/16 at 9:08ampost #12952 of 175589/16/16 at 9:36amQuote:Originally Posted by Lobster33
A comparison of profila binding. Loakes vs. AE. Not a totally fair comparison, because the Loakes are new, but I still think Loake puts a lot more attention to detail on it.
Yea that's my problem with AEs. All the top houses do profila and it looks good. And sure a JL, EG, or Vass is going to look perfect. But they really need to get it better if they do it. The Loakes binding here seems flush or almost above the outer, preventing the roughing you get on the carlyles. And the binding is just playing roller coaster with the edge there.
nice comparo. How are you liking the 1880 otherwise?post #12953 of 175589/16/16 at 9:44ampost #12954 of 175589/16/16 at 9:55am
I'd say they are about the same as AE overall -- I'm very pleased. The footbed in the ball of the foot are harder on Loakes, but the heel is nicely cushioned. I prefer AE's leather footbeds as they are a little softer. The tongues on Loakes are also thinner, which makes you feel the laces a little more. I like AE tongues a little more. Minor issues overall. I think the detailing is slightly better on Loakes. The Loake is also great if you have a high arch, but less great if you have a really skinny foot (Loakes run wider).post #12955 of 175589/16/16 at 10:24amQuote:
How do you like those? They sure look good with denim. Also, how do you find the sizing? I'm between the Norwich and Mora 2.0 as my favorite recent AE monk strap. I see a 9D brown calf Norwich on the Shoe Bank that might work. I have the Madison Park in 8.5D and I don't THINK an extra half size will ruin the fit. Just who knows what kind of shape it's in. Otherwise it's go with Mora 2.0 or save my money and wait for the brown shell Norwich seconds to go back on sale... even though I don't see one of those in 8.5D.post #12956 of 175589/16/16 at 10:40ampost #12957 of 175589/16/16 at 10:57ampost #12958 of 175589/16/16 at 11:08amQuote:Originally Posted by St Hubbins
How do you like those? They sure look good with denim. Also, how do you find the sizing? I'm between the Norwich and Mora 2.0 as my favorite recent AE monk strap. I see a 9D brown calf Norwich on the Shoe Bank that might work. I have the Madison Park in 8.5D and I don't THINK an extra half size will ruin the fit. Just who knows what kind of shape it's in. Otherwise it's go with Mora 2.0 or save my money and wait for the brown shell Norwich seconds to go back on sale... even though I don't see one of those in 8.5D.
As far as I know Madison Park is on 222 or maybe 108 last. The two lasts in my experience are similar, so I would guess 8.5D would be the best option. I would give 9D a shot, you never know. One thing to keep in mind is that with monk straps its a little difficult to make them tighter around the instep since you don't have laces. At least, that's what I have experienced. I really like the brown Norwich. I have a pair but can't wear because of incorrect size. They are very versatile - denim, chinos, thicker wool pants, heck you can probably pull them off even with regular wool pants.Quote:
222 lastpost #12959 of 175589/16/16 at 11:10amQuote:Originally Posted by Neo1
That's crazy f-ing annoying - I'd be pissed about that whole thing. You definitely have a higher threshold than me for patience. I hope someone from AE retail reads your thing.
If you can wait I'm with my engineering buddy and I'd order it again and see. If you really can't, no way I'd take the messed up size thing - I'd have to go with the beat up one - maybe try to get something off. Misized will always end up bad no matter how you slice it.
Agreed, @Neo1. Figured I was done dealing with the store and would order straight from the web site. Oops, not on sale anymore. So either a call to CS or a return/re-order from the store. Grrrr, my patience is running thin! Yes, it would be great if AE retail reads some of the groups concerns with QC of their products and the stocking of sizes at their retail locations. Especially when the concerns are coming from true champions of the brand.
Rant/examples spoiled - in attempt to not take away from the 'appreciation' of the thread (Click to show)
Like many, my AE "track record" has been particularly problematic.
I found an email exchange I had with Kelly in CS (who has always been nothing short of AMAZING and always takes care of me), where we discussed my returns. All were determined to be structural (not cosmetic, which I would live with, especially in 2nds) and replaced or refunded. That is great and all, but at some point you would think a discount/gift card would be in order for the inconveniences and trips to the post office.
-Fullerton developed cracks in heel of footbed [discontinued, so couldn't offer replacement]
-2 different Gobis had inch gaps between insole and back of shoe [replaced with a 3rd pair]
-Boulders had very different widths between left/right shoe [didn't even want to ask for a replacement]
-2 pairs of Bleecker Streets with uneven heels [replaced]
-Daltons had uneven heels [SA wouldn't wave the $10 restocking fee, so I didn't replace]
-2 Maritimes with hump in footbed [ended up keeping mismatched pair]
-Kirkwoods developed heavy, heavy creasing in 1 shoe only after first wear [replaced]
-All 4 versions of my Kirks/Maritimes have issue with staining my socks and the footbed overlay coming unglued and pulling out [kept them as this seems like issue with all these models]
-Frieburg had a divot in footbed [kept after Kelly encouraged me to wear them a few times with assurance I could return them worn, if needed]
And then the previously documented issues of my HM (had to order since no B widths in store / bad finishing on 1 boot / reorder / more wait time / fit isn't ideal / basically told that's what you get with hand lasted shoes). I'll update the latest with these in my next post.
Edited by middlepP - 9/16/16 at 6:09pmpost #12960 of 175589/16/16 at 11:16am
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 34 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 54 seconds ago
- › Styleforum's "Just what Santa should have brought" Viberg GMTO... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 7 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 16 minutes ago
- › Carmina Inca 7.5Uk Burgundy - FINAL PRICE DROP $225.00 with shipping 16 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 19 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway