I wandered into the downtown SF store today, and wound up grabbing what might be the last in-stock 11.5 E blue Neumoks today (bought them in the SF store, but they're shipping from either Chicago or NYC - I forget). I definitely don't *need* these shoes, but I've been so pissed that I missed the Olive Neumoks (he saw a pair of 11.5C's...) that I didn't want to miss the blue ones too. I hope this caps me out. I've got two preorders (AldenxLeffot longwings & Truman horsehide derbys) and now I'm really going to have to decide between one of two Alden boots - or maybe neither. And I bought an old pair of v-cleat Florsheim Imperials from 1967 to restore, too. HELP
(don't help - - well, I mean barn-weasel help. But don't for a while)
Anyway, a few thoughts:
- The guys in this store are really cool. And pretty much all of them seem to be (have visited probably ten or so AE stores in my travels). I'm going to make sure I order through stores from now on - they are the ones who help me, and I wouldn't be buying without them.
- The new Neumok 2.0 looks better in person. The "orange" is probably a good match for folks who missed the tan McTavish. With some patina and avoidance of shine-inducing products, I think they'd be a nice substitute and on a less tricky last.
- The more I look at the Higgins Mill, the more I like them. I'd probably want them on the new sole that my Academys have, or v-tread. The SA said it would be possible.
- The SA also mentioned what I've seen here before, that shell will be included in the RDA. I'd really like to have some brown shell McAllisters, but that apparently would be custom (they're offered in black and the burgundy cordovan, but not brown).
- Barn-weasel leanings aside, there are lots of reasons to visit and support AE stores: options not available on-line, upcoming events, checking out the real-life colors of the leathers, etc. I hope Paul and the exec. team are aware that a lot of what happens in on-line orders stems from in-store interaction.
- In support of the above, I'd love to see AE do something to drive FBW traffic into the stores.
- I have too many shoes now.