or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 827

post #12391 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Hubbins View Post


Had literally about five minutes to check out the other Nordstrom Rack location that's near my office (Schaumburg, IL) after dinner tonight. That place is definitely a hell hole. All shoes unboxed and loose on the racks. Only had time to check my size. Nothing exciting. Some Kenilworths. And, I think, a Gobi... Style # 5431. Won't be back there any time soon. 2/10.

Checked the one by my apartment today on my way home, only thing was a beat up pair of 10D Players. My NR sucks, I've only found a couple things there (Canali tie, AE suede belt, white suede Walkover bucks, and a Patagonia A/C shirt). Piles and piles of Santoni, Gordon Rush, Cole Haan, and Magnanni though.
post #12392 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post

Any of you guys recraft your shoes with the v-tread leather sole? Did you like it better than the regular leather sole? I'm considering this when the time comes to recraft.

Speaking of v-tread, I'm surprised no one on here has posted pictures of the new suede Strand. I figured that would be a popular shoe. Perhaps it's because they haven't had a sale on it yet.

I have the v-tread on a couple of shoes and have recrafted a pair or two with them. I like them, but I don't wear them enough to give more data. As for the suede Strand, I ordered a pair of seconds in brogue suede. Will post pics when they arrive.
post #12393 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwick View Post


Good evening, Gents. This is a picture of my Lake Shore Drives after my cat finished with them. I'm looking for a little positive reinforcement here. These shoes are still wearable, right? The damage can't be repaired, I realize. But I want to believe that with a good cleaning they would be presentable.

What's everyone think?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the more reason to keep your shoeboxes. Extra layer of protection from jealous pets.
post #12394 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwick View Post

You don't know how right you are! Let's just say there was a very intense discussion tonight regarding the cat's future. Thanks for responding.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there are children involved, I would go with the fabled "cat farm" story. Where the cat can roam unfettered through the fields...
post #12395 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange fury View Post

We have a 15 week old cat that we brought home when she was 8 weeks old. All of my shoes stayed in the closet anyways prior to her arrival, but after we brought her home, we've kept the closet and bedroom door shut at all times

So glad my dogs are old and lazy now. Back when they were young and before I was into AEs, they destroyed several pairs of now irreplaceable Adidas. The most egregious offenses were a pair of brown and yellow Spezials and a pair of brown and white Super Skates. Smdh still.

These days my shoes are either on my feet or in a closed closet.
post #12396 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post

The 65 should all be the same if they are all balmorals and same leather type.  If you find that one model fits you better or worse than the others, try finding another shoe identical in marked size and style and try that one on.  Sometimes a random shoe is lasted tighter or looser than the norm.

I haven't found that to be the case (and apologies for repeating - I'm not trying to be petulant, but mainly ensuring future searches find this).

The cut of the pattern also affects the shoe. I talked to a lady at AE about my inability to fit in Strands and any shoe in any size/width based on that pattern (Park Ave, Rush St. et. al.) despite having three pairs of McTavishes and a pair of Jingle Bell Mocs (based on the Neumok) that all fit great in the same size (11.5D) on the 65-last. She said that pattern is very tightly cut and is problematic for some people. Two different fittings at stores with many combinations has yet to yield a fit I like, where my McT's and JBM's are extremely comfortable, even moreso since they broke in with the McT's.

I also suspect there may be some differences with reverse storm welts that may be a benefit. I tried on a pair of Strandmoks in my 11.5D 65-last size and they felt pretty darn good. I'm guessing an 11.5E might fit well.

Net: Last isn't the whole story - the cut of the pattern and possibly the welt design also contribute to fit.
post #12397 of 17564
@ace13x and @polojock615, thanks. The reason I'm asking about the v-tread is because I want to keep my leather soled shoes for as long as possible. I figure that if you want your shoes to last forever, Dainite is the best option. However, Dainite is not nearly as comfortable as a single leather sole (to me). I figured that the v-tread might extend the life of the soles. The other option would be double-leather sole, but I don't like it as much as the single. Also, I refuse to put those nail cap things at the end of my shoes, as they make the shoe feel uneven.
post #12398 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

I haven't found that to be the case (and apologies for repeating - I'm not trying to be petulant, but mainly ensuring future searches find this).

The cut of the pattern also affects the shoe. I talked to a lady at AE about my inability to fit in Strands and any shoe in any size/width based on that pattern (Park Ave, Rush St. et. al.) despite having three pairs of McTavishes and a pair of Jingle Bell Mocs (based on the Neumok) that all fit great in the same size (11.5D) on the 65-last. She said that pattern is very tightly cut and is problematic for some people. Two different fittings at stores with many combinations has yet to yield a fit I like, where my McT's and JBM's are extremely comfortable, even moreso since they broke in with the McT's.

I also suspect there may be some differences with reverse storm welts that may be a benefit. I tried on a pair of Strandmoks in my 11.5D 65-last size and they felt pretty darn good. I'm guessing an 11.5E might fit well.

Net: Last isn't the whole story - the cut of the pattern and possibly the welt design also contribute to fit.

I thought it was fairly well known that the rough collection (McTavish, Elgin) fit bigger/wider than their classic counterparts the McAllister and Strand. The thought is that the leather just isn't/can't be pulled as tight when lasting.

I imagine the Neumok has the same issue (and are t they unlined?). I can't imagine the actual pattern matters very much.
post #12399 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

I haven't found that to be the case (and apologies for repeating - I'm not trying to be petulant, but mainly ensuring future searches find this).

The cut of the pattern also affects the shoe. I talked to a lady at AE about my inability to fit in Strands and any shoe in any size/width based on that pattern (Park Ave, Rush St. et. al.) despite having three pairs of McTavishes and a pair of Jingle Bell Mocs (based on the Neumok) that all fit great in the same size (11.5D) on the 65-last. She said that pattern is very tightly cut and is problematic for some people. Two different fittings at stores with many combinations has yet to yield a fit I like, where my McT's and JBM's are extremely comfortable, even moreso since they broke in with the McT's.

I also suspect there may be some differences with reverse storm welts that may be a benefit. I tried on a pair of Strandmoks in my 11.5D 65-last size and they felt pretty darn good. I'm guessing an 11.5E might fit well.

Net: Last isn't the whole story - the cut of the pattern and possibly the welt design also contribute to fit.

My guess is that the storm vs. flat welt does contribute. But I also said same leather. People have expressed looser fits in the pull-up/casual/unlined leathers. Likewise, I took and 8D in my Shell PA's. They probably don't pull the shell quite as tightly to the last for fear of tearing the shell.

No petulance taken. Mo' discussion, Mo' better.

Edit: I suppose it would not be out of line to hypothesize that the rough collection may be a bit more ample to account for the less formal, thicker socks that might be worn with those shoes.
Edited by ace13x - 9/8/16 at 9:07pm
post #12400 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post

@ace13x and @polojock615, thanks. The reason I'm asking about the v-tread is because I want to keep my leather soled shoes for as long as possible. I figure that if you want your shoes to last forever, Dainite is the best option. However, Dainite is not nearly as comfortable as a single leather sole (to me). I figured that the v-tread might extend the life of the soles. The other option would be double-leather sole, but I don't like it as much as the single.

I understand what your saying, and maybe some people wear out leather faster than rubber, but the point is, what are you going to do when the rubber on a V-Tread or toppy wears down? Sooner or later your going to resole anyway.

IMHO, if your concerned with grip, V-Tread is nice. But if your worry is sole life, for me 6 of one half dozen of the other. Maybe some peoples walking pattern/environment will experience something different.
post #12401 of 17564
Since I'm only in the US until tomorrow afternoon, I called the AE store to see what my options are regarding the wrecked tongue.

My SA is going to go to another location to pick up the only other natural HM in 9D in the area, so I can check them out!

What should I be pursuing for sizing on these?

The 9D is snug/glove-like, and I may need to stretch the left pinky toe knuckle spot. When I press the vamp, my foot is right there.

The 9E they feel roomy, I can move my foot laterally a bit, and pressing the vamp shows quite a bit of space.

Am I better to go with snug and let then stretch to perfection, or err on the side of roominess?

I wear a 9E on the 65.

This will be my first pair of quality boots.
post #12402 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC2 View Post

Since I'm only in the US until tomorrow afternoon, I called the AE store to see what my options are regarding the wrecked tongue.

My SA is going to go to another location to pick up the only other natural HM in 9D in the area, so I can check them out!

What should I be pursuing for sizing on these?

The 9D is snug/glove-like, and I may need to stretch the left pinky toe knuckle spot. When I press the vamp, my foot is right there.

The 9E they feel roomy, I can move my foot laterally a bit, and pressing the vamp shows quite a bit of space.

Am I better to go with snug and let then stretch to perfection, or err on the side of roominess?

I wear a 9E on the 65.

This will be my first pair of quality boots.

Hard to say without it being my feet, but I would go with snug and break them in before attempting to stretch them. Hard to say, one mans snug is another mans constriction. <-- There is a joke about Kegels in there, but I'll leave it to you're imagination.
post #12403 of 17564
I had a similar experience with my Leeds 2.0s. They fit, but they were about as snug as it gets without causing pain. They took a long time to become less stiff, but I'm so glad I chose the snug size because they feel great now. You could also try 9.5 D, if it's not too long for you. I have one shoe on the 1757 last, and I wear up 1/2 size and down a width from the Park Ave.
post #12404 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwick View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
aa07e92db85fa7ed192863c49208722a.jpg

Good evening, Gents. This is a picture of my Lake Shore Drives after my cat finished with them. I'm looking for a little positive reinforcement here. These shoes are still wearable, right? The damage can't be repaired, I realize. But I want to believe that with a good cleaning they would be presentable.

What's everyone think?

Yikes! I suddenly got the urge to go pick up my shoes off the floor. Fortunately, my two cats don't attack my shoes like that, but they often run across them or (in the case of my brand new Sanibels) put two holes in them jumping up on the end table. (where I had put the sanibels so the cat wouldn't get them) If I were in your position, i'd be shocked, horrified, mad at the cat, etc. At the end of the day (after I was done near breaking my fist banging on the front door, sitting in the dark for 20 minutes and a walk around the block to cool off), the cat didn't mean it and you still own the shoes. Like you said, they're beyond "fixing," but I bet some leather conditioner and some polish would go a long way to making them more presentable. You can still wear them. . .don't worry!
post #12405 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post

Any of you guys recraft your shoes with the v-tread leather sole? Did you like it better than the regular leather sole? I'm considering this when the time comes to recraft.

Speaking of v-tread, I'm surprised no one on here has posted pictures of the new suede Strand. I figured that would be a popular shoe. Perhaps it's because they haven't had a sale on it yet.

I just recommended this to my buddy for his Bourbon Strands. 18 months old and they already had a hole forming right in the middle of the sole. He obviously has a heavier walk than most (the heel and toe were barely worn), so I told him to go for the v-tread. $10 upcharge, but I think it will be worth it. I have v-tread on my Patriots and I wish I had it on more shoes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc