Right, sorry -- I need to post when I'm not distracted.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- brandAllen Edmonds Brandtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Byrontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Cordovan Dundeetagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Slip-Ontagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
- itemAllen Edmonds Weybridge Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 7/11/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info Last post on 12/8/16 at 6:27am in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:13 pm in Classic Menswear
How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 814post #12197 of 178309/5/16 at 7:12pmpost #12198 of 178309/5/16 at 7:26pmQuote:
Guarded Goods will sell (probably just make it to order) a belt in half inch increments, $95. Just measure according to the instructions and choose from the pull down menu. They used to have shell cordovan (more money), but have sold out.
They do have Natural CXL Horsehide which seems interesting.post #12199 of 178309/5/16 at 10:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by naspratt
I agree with Ace; I love the black cherry color and that's an enviable price point.
I still haven't, but now I really want to. You've shined those beautifully.
The welt is just where the two ends meet, nothing to worry about and common with Alden as well as AE. The crinkling, as you term it, is not uncommon with cxl, but you could always send a picture to AE CS and ask if it's within spec for firsts and see if they offer a discount or exchange.
Thanks, Park Ave is a beautiful shoe. Now I am looking to get either a Walnut Strand or Walnut Fifth Ave.post #12200 of 178309/5/16 at 10:43pmQuote:
Great vid! thanks for sharing..post #12201 of 178309/6/16 at 5:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Count de Monet
To me there is a difference - and I think a qualitative difference - between a leather being prone to wrinkle once worn, eg CXL, and leather cut from the belly and already wrinkled when the boot leaves the factory.
The shoes pictured up thread leading to this discussion were brand new and, IIRC, sold as firsts. In my experience, "good" CXL doesn't look like that new. I've heavily worn my two pair of Maritimes (firsts) and my Long Branches and Clark Streets (seconds) for over a year and none of them have that fat belly look.
But PC is right, AE figures most people won't mind for a casual boot such as the HM and I imagine they're right. My Dublin Sauk Drives arrived that way. I decided to keep them. For what they are and for how I use them, they're fine.
This is exactly how I feel. I'm fine with the boots getting beat up as I wear them and break them in, hell I'm fine with them coming in the box with some scuffs and scratches. But it just looked strange to me that a single piece of leather on one of the boots was all wrinkled. It looked out of place, seeing as how the rest of the boot (and the other boot) were fine.post #12202 of 178309/6/16 at 7:19amQuote:Originally Posted by roz77
Once again, the customer service at AE is excellent. I stopped by my local store on the way back from work earlier this afternoon and showed them a picture of the crinkled leather on my pair of HMs. They brought out another pair in my size that we looked at, and then they told me to bring mine in and they'd exchange them. Being the barn weasel that I am, I went home and grabbed them and went right back to AE. Of course, someone had purchased the only pair they had in my size while I was gone! They said they'd put in an order to make a new pair and put a special note on the order to make sure the leather didn't have any wrinkles in it ("fat wrinkles" they called them.) So once again, had a great experience at AE. Everyone I've met at the store on Michigan Avenue has been great, and I have never had a negative experience there.
Although some people aren't too keen on naturally occurring fat wrinkles in shoes there are other people who search out hides with large amounts of naturally occurring fat wrinkles to use to upholster their furniture on either the theory of the old wives tale that leather with fat wrinkles holds up better and lasts longer or that people seeing the fat wrinkles in your furniture will have no doubt that it is real leather.
I looked through a stack of hides to find this leather (and I thank all those who return A-E shoes with fat wrinkles because I can then buy them from eBay Seller Dabondo).post #12203 of 178309/6/16 at 7:32am
Haven't been online in a bit, so maybe this is old news to you folks.
Suede Strandmok 2.0 is down to $127 on the Shoebank. That seems ridiculously cheap, but I guess they want to clear inventory before Fall is in full swing.
Wish full suede was my thing, but I'm just not that into it. Maybe someday it will click with me. Plus, I already blew my available funds on the Higgins Mill recently. No regrets. None.post #12204 of 178309/6/16 at 9:09ampost #12205 of 178309/6/16 at 9:59ampost #12206 of 178309/6/16 at 10:00ampost #12207 of 178309/6/16 at 10:03am
I've been taking a break from this thread lately (funny how much less I have thought about buying shoes).
I received a catalog over the weekend with a $50 coupon on the front, which I'm sure most of you also received. If you didn't, though, I would be glad to share the code with you. Send me a PM, and follow up if I am slow to respond. I think it's good until 9/26, but I won't hang on to it forever.post #12208 of 178309/6/16 at 10:08ampost #12209 of 178309/6/16 at 12:27pm
I really have to roll my eyes at all the people complaining about AE QC with fat wrinkles in CXL... Good thing you guys don't buy Alden, because you'd get the same or worse, with no CS (they'd tell you it's perfectly normal), and you'd have paid twice (or more) what a Higgins Mill costs.post #12210 of 178309/6/16 at 12:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by FaRKle
I really have to roll my eyes at all the people complaining about AE QC with fat wrinkles in CXL... Good thing you guys don't buy Alden, because you'd get the same or worse, with no CS (they'd tell you it's perfectly normal), and you'd have paid twice (or more) what a Higgins Mill costs.
Which might lead some to wonder about anyone who wants lots of marbling in his steaks but no fat wrinkles in his shoes.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › New $650 Kiton Solid White Spread Collar Dress Shirt 15.75 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 minutes ago
- › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 18 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 26 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 28 minutes ago
- › New Ralph Lauren line: Denim & Supply 30 minutes ago
- › VASS WHOLECUT LAST K - 9 UK - MTO BLUE SUEDE CALF 33 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...