or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 783

post #11731 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post




Agree with @M2511.  Don't know where you got the McA's from, but the time to have done that was when you order them.  Then its $40 for the tap sole (if I'm not mistaken).  Getting them added now would not make sense financially.  

If you must have more grip right now, then a cobbler can toppy them for right around $40 give or take.  I think I've heard as low as $30.

Yea I know. I wanted to get the Merlot McAllister with the combination tap sole, but the leather sole McAllister was the only one available in my size and it was a closeout style so I didn't have a lot of options. I ordered it last week. Thanks though.
post #11732 of 17778
While not as many as some, I've purchased a few new pairs in 2016. Here are the 4 thus far, for anyone interested in IRL pics of these styles. (that said, photo not that good!) Clockwise from top left: Franciscan (dk chili), Oak Street (dk brown), Strandmok 2.0 (brown suede), Addison (brown). J
post #11733 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by roz77 View Post

I'm a 10.5E in the 5 last and I went with a 10.5E in the Higgin's Mill. I tried on the 10E but it seemed a bit too tight. The 10.5E was snug without constricting me, and my foot was able to move a little bit without my heel slipping or my toes stubbing the front every step. I unfortunately have no experience with Alden Indy's.


TL;DR I fit best in my usual 5 last.

I fit 12D in all my AEs, with 12.5 being better for one foot (irrelevant but whatever) and fit 11.5 in Indy boot. Higgins mill it seems people are up and down but my SA tried me in an 11.5 and it was too snug. Not bad (not like cavanaugh bad) but I was wearing dress socks at the time that were very thin and with wool they would have been uncomfortable. So I ordered in a 12d and am happy.

Off topic but what is everyone's experience with the Normandy? I tried it on last week and it was supremely comfortable. Style was too much like a red wing I have but wow it was great to wear.
post #11734 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by styleaudit91 View Post


Off topic but what is everyone's experience with the Normandy? I tried it on last week and it was supremely comfortable. Style was too much like a red wing I have but wow it was great to wear.

 

Not off-topic at all. I got a brown pair of Normandy boots back in January/February from our favorite eBay seller for under a Benjamin, and friggin' love them. They were barely worn and I'd estimate them at 5-10 wears, tops. There's a fair amount of volume in the front, so you might need to drop down 1/2 size. Maybe. Depends on what kind of socks you wear with it. I agree that's it supremely comfortable. It's unbelievably great. I really only had 3 minor gripes with mine:

1. I have an early pair, when they were still going kind of nutso with the distressing. I believe they've toned it back a bit. It doesn't look bad, but I would have preferred if they'd dialed it back about 50%. 

2. The lack of a mini-lug or dainite sole. The lug heel is nice, but I'm not sure the double sole was the best choice for it. Something a little more rugged would have been much better. Somebody on here had theirs custom done with the mini lug. I think that's a great decision. If I ever wear through the sole enough on this one, I'll probably do a mini lug as well.

3. The way the tongue is sewn on the right foot of mine causes an odd fold. I can't quite get it to lie flat. It's not a big deal if I don't lace the top really tight. Sure, this is probably what made it a No Warranty shoe, but in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty much a non-issue.

I get that it might be pretty similar to your Red Wing. But, keep an eye on what dabando has on his eBay page. He's got them available, and as I can attest, he'll take a pretty low price for them. They look great as a casual boot, and feel even better. Perfect for pairing with jeans on the weekend, or even with khakis/chinos at work, given you work in a less-formal environment, like I do.

 

post #11735 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebh979 View Post

MTO?  Brown shell?

TBH... I was going to do the same, then these shell strands just started winking at me from $399... 

Maybe one whisky shell Pembroke GMTO is enough... we'll see once the strand comes in.  Could be Opus One, could be Boone's Farm.  Never can tell with 2nds until they're on your feet.

I have the whisky shell Marlow/Pembroke ("Warlow") and dark brown shell Lindricks ordered.

There are already pics is the first Warlow run popping up on the C&J thread. Amazing shoes.
post #11736 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post

Not off-topic at all. I got a brown pair of Normandy boots back in January/February from our favorite eBay seller for under a Benjamin, and friggin' love them. They were barely worn and I'd estimate them at 5-10 wears, tops. There's a fair amount of volume in the front, so you might need to drop down 1/2 size. Maybe. Depends on what kind of socks you wear with it. I agree that's it supremely comfortable. It's unbelievably great. I really only had 3 minor gripes with mine:


1. I have an early pair, when they were still going kind of nutso with the distressing. I believe they've toned it back a bit. It doesn't look bad, but I would have preferred if they'd dialed it back about 50%. 


2. The lack of a mini-lug or dainite sole. The lug heel is nice, but I'm not sure the double sole was the best choice for it. Something a little more rugged would have been much better. Somebody on here had theirs custom done with the mini lug. I think that's a great decision. If I ever wear through the sole enough on this one, I'll probably do a mini lug as well.


3. The way the tongue is sewn on the right foot of mine causes an odd fold. I can't quite get it to lie flat. It's not a big deal if I don't lace the top really tight. Sure, this is probably what made it a No Warranty shoe, but in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty much a non-issue.


I get that it might be pretty similar to your Red Wing. But, keep an eye on what dabando has on his eBay page. He's got them available, and as I can attest, he'll take a pretty low price for them. They look great as a casual boot, and feel even better. Perfect for pairing with jeans on the weekend, or even with khakis/chinos at work, given you work in a less-formal environment, like I do.


 

Yea I find myself really wanting a pair. The interior feel was top notch and if I'm honest fit me better than the HMs. But I agree with you on the distressing, if the cap toe was a bit less rough I may have bought on site. Don't see a lot about them on here but worth a try one for anyone on here looking for something like a more comfortable iron ranger.
post #11737 of 17778

So here are a few of Allen Edmonds newest items that I took pictures of.  What do you think?

 

 

 

ST John's and Cornwallis Dark Chili

 

Washington Square Walnut and Exchange Place Brown 

ALUMNUS Brown

 

Washington Square Walnut

 

​Overall very impressed with the Washington Square and the St. Johns.  Now I am wondering if I should return my Cornwallis Chili and wait for these to go on sale.  LOL.  They have more presence I think.  

post #11738 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTexter View Post


​Overall very impressed with the Washington Square and the St. Johns.  Now I am wondering if I should return my Cornwallis Chili and wait for these to go on sale.  LOL.  They have more presence I think.  

I wouldn't- I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the dark chili Cornwallis at the sale price.

Received my new Concord Aves today:
A3D04E8C-FE6E-4387-981D-23C07C1408E9_zps2pfttv5g.jpg

Super disappointed. First, supposedly this shoe is on the 114, but for how well the Cavanaugh fits me, I can't get my foot into these with socks- they fit fine without socks, but I wouldn't be wearing them like that. Second, the leather on the toe of the left one is super thin:

63C688DF-FFE6-4E68-88E0-7780568E18F6_zps8nrzkcxc.jpg

It felt like my toe was about to go through it. Finally, the sides of both shoes were essentially caved in:
6BA52C60-F0B4-4E6C-810C-F29C8994A4EF_zpsqlohsiic.jpg

It wouldn't bother me so much if that didn't translate into gnarly bowing every time I stepped down.

Returning them this week- I'm thinking I may use them as credit towards some HM's. I have some Merlot McA's coming in from Shoebank too, hopefully those won't be bad...
post #11739 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange fury View Post


I wouldn't- I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on the dark chili Cornwallis at the sale price.

Received my new Concord Aves today:
A3D04E8C-FE6E-4387-981D-23C07C1408E9_zps2pfttv5g.jpg

Super disappointed. First, supposedly this shoe is on the 114, but for how well the Cavanaugh fits me, I can't get my foot into these with socks- they fit fine without socks, but I wouldn't be wearing them like that. Second, the leather on the toe of the left one is super thin:

63C688DF-FFE6-4E68-88E0-7780568E18F6_zps8nrzkcxc.jpg

It felt like my toe was about to go through it. Finally, the sides of both shoes were essentially caved in:
6BA52C60-F0B4-4E6C-810C-F29C8994A4EF_zpsqlohsiic.jpg

It wouldn't bother me so much if that didn't translate into gnarly bowing every time I stepped down.

Returning them this week- I'm thinking I may use them as credit towards some HM's. I have some Merlot McA's coming in from Shoebank too, hopefully those won't be bad...


I got mine in too.  Hey at $57 who can resist.  When I put them on the sides bow out.  :(  Disappointing.  Must be returned.  And I am still upset that I didn't jump on that Navy suede Dundee!  

post #11740 of 17778


Woah! The Allen Edmonds website now has the merlot Manistee belt in my size! But I already ordered this Banana Republic burgundy belt on sale for $40. Do you guys think it's a good match for merlot McAllisters or should I return it and pay the $15 extra and buy the merlot Manistee belt?..
post #11741 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTexter View Post
 

So here are a few of Allen Edmonds newest items that I took pictures of.  What do you think?

 

 

 

ST John's and Cornwallis Dark Chili

 

Washington Square Walnut and Exchange Place Brown 

ALUMNUS Brown

 

Washington Square Walnut

 

​Overall very impressed with the Washington Square and the St. Johns.  Now I am wondering if I should return my Cornwallis Chili and wait for these to go on sale.  LOL.  They have more presence I think.  

 

The Alumnus looks sweet.  With that and the HM, they really are trying to add some "Alden-like" offerings.

post #11742 of 17778
@TexasTexter any chance you have pics of those dark chili cornwallis' in natural light? I've been itching to get a pair. Kicking myself for not jumping at the sale price.
post #11743 of 17778
Hit up my AE retail location today to get a second opinion on the fit of my eBay McGregors. I think I am going to keep them. Every time I try them on, they feel better.

Also did a quick try-on sesh. Tried the Higgins Mill. Now I see what y'all are going crazy about. That's one heck of a boot. I had to go down a half size as the 8.5D was too roomy. I might now find this boot more desirable than the RW Beckman. The brown color is great, but natural looks very good too.

Also tried on the Cornwallis in my attempt to find the right size in the 1943 last. For those, I went up a half size to 9D. The 8.5D hit my little toes on my mutant right foot where the toe box tapers. The 9D felt awesome. The only problem was that the v-gap was pretty much all the way closed. Worried they might end up too loose after I sink into the cork. But what a great looking shoe in Walnut.

Also tried Lake Forest. I am not yet ready to make the jump to loafers. All I did was laugh at my own feet when I tried them on.
Edited by St Hubbins - 8/29/16 at 7:35pm
post #11744 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

The Alumnus looks sweet.  With that and the HM, they really are trying to add some "Alden-like" offerings.

The Academy felt a lot like an Alden in-hand. My pair arrives Wednesday, so I'll give a detailed report soon after.
post #11745 of 17778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry View Post



Woah! The Allen Edmonds website now has the merlot Manistee belt in my size! But I already ordered this Banana Republic burgundy belt on sale for $40. Do you guys think it's a good match for merlot McAllisters or should I return it and pay the $15 extra and buy the merlot Manistee belt?..


didn't realize banana had maroon belts. I might have to check it out today to see if it match my merlot mcallisters and color 8 shells. Been having hard time finding burgundy belts. A lot of retail stores either have black or brown. As for your question, I would just  order both and keep em both.  the burgundy color is not easy to find. If you have to pick one, I would pick the one that match your shoes the best.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc