Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 764  

post #11446 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMiddles View Post
 

They are firsts so it will be free returns if you don't like them. The buyer may have ordered a few different sizes and just returned what didn't fit the best. I bought mine at $237 and don't regret it at all, $187 is a steal. Here is some motivation for you to make the correct decision ;-)

 

IMG_3316.JPG

Damn it, those shoes are so good looking. Plus it looks like you got a pair made out of some good leather as the creasing looks very subtle. Nice!

post #11447 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmrjfud View Post

Question:
PA in Burgundy Cordavan for $399
Or
PA in Oxblood Calf for $229.

What sez youz?

 

I am still fighting the good fight this debate. I am debating between Black Shell PA or Black Hopkinson. Ordered both from the bank and I'll try from there. In your case there is definitely a different look between Oxblood Calf and Burgundy Shell. If shell is in good shape it is a great price.

 

I want to buy a pair of Burg Shell Macneils but I'm very interested in upcoming trunk shows / possible new shell color where I'd want to buy something uncommon vs #8 LW at are seemingly the easiest to find on ebay.

post #11448 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmrjfud View Post

Question:
PA in Burgundy Cordavan for $399
Or
PA in Oxblood Calf for $229.

What sez youz?



It's a tough call, but I'd lean towards the PA in Oxblood. My gut tells me that most people wear PAs with suits, and I'm not sure that shell is the best choice to pair with suits.

Plus, if I'm going to spring for shell, I'd probably want to do it in a shoe that's more versatile than the PA. That way, I could wear it more, and people would think I was cool. Have the paparazzi follow me around for a while. Maybe even have some hot chicks throw their underwear at me as I pass them by on the streets. Become a national spokesman for Horween. You know, the usual stuff that happens when you wear shell. I'm not asking for much. Just for some of my smaller dreams to come true. 

(Full disclosure: I currently don't own any shell, most obviously because my shoe budget has gone towards the various medications needed to treat my hallucinations. The above opinions are those of a shell-less barnweasel, and are not intended to represent the actual experiences of shell-sporting barnweasels.)


Edited by donkeyhoatie - 8/25/16 at 1:03pm
post #11449 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post
 

 

I am still fighting the good fight this debate. I am debating between Black Shell PA or Black Hopkinson. Ordered both from the bank and I'll try from there. 

 

I'm having some bad luck with PAs and I'm debating grabbing the Hopkinson instead. What size Hopkinson did you order in comparison to the PA?

post #11450 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post
 



It's a tough call, but I'd lean towards the PA in Oxblood. My gut tells me that most people wear PAs with suits, and I'm not sure that shell is the best choice to pair with suits.

Plus, if I'm going to spring for shell, I'd probably want to do it in a shoe that's more versatile than the PA. That way, I could wear it more, and people would think I was cool. Have the paparazzi follow me around for a while. Maybe even have some hot chicks throw their underwear at me as I pass them by on the streets. Become a national spokesman for Horween. You know, the usual stuff that happens when you wear shell. I'm not asking for much. Just for some of my smaller dreams to come true. 

(Full disclosure: I currently don't own any shell, most obviously because my shoe budget has gone towards the various medications needed to treat my hallucinations. The above opinions are those of a shell-less barnweasel, and are not intended to represent the actual experiences of shell-sporting barnweasels.)

 

Interesting.  I disagree with some of this.  I think the Park Ave is very versatile, and I've even worn them with jeans on occasion.  I also think that shell PA's would be the most appropriate with a suit.  But to each their own.  Also, I've had panties thrown at me when I was just wearing my oxblood PA's. 

post #11451 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post

Interesting.  I disagree with some of this.  I think the Park Ave is very versatile, and I've even worn them with jeans on occasion.  I also think that shell PA's would be the most appropriate with a suit.  But to each their own.  Also, I've had panties thrown at me when I was just wearing my oxblood PA's. 
Flying panties just might be the deciding factor....
post #11452 of 19334

lol.  

 

In all seriousness, I don't think you will regret either.  I don't own any shell, but I might lean towards that one.  I worry that AE is going to have to increase their shell prices in the near future.  The oxblood is still a really great shoe, and one of my favorites.   I like burgundy and merlot a little more than oxblood, but they all look great.

post #11453 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMiddles View Post
 

 

I'm having some bad luck with PAs and I'm debating grabbing the Hopkinson instead. What size Hopkinson did you order in comparison to the PA?

 

I ordered the same size as my 65 last. Multiple sales associates have suggested this to me. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm sure if you are on the cusp of D to E on the 65 you could get away with D vs E. 

post #11454 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster33 View Post
 

 

Interesting.  I disagree with some of this.  I think the Park Ave is very versatile, and I've even worn them with jeans on occasion.  I also think that shell PA's would be the most appropriate with a suit.  But to each their own.  Also, I've had panties thrown at me when I was just wearing my oxblood PA's. 

 

I would think Shell PA in burg or black would be a very typical suit shoe. Brown shell probably not. But truthfully who is going to call you out for wearing shoes that will more than likely be nicer than any around you.

post #11455 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmrjfud View Post

Question:
PA in Burgundy Cordovan for $399
Or
PA in Oxblood Calf for $229.

What sez youz?

I vote shell, but then I really like shell. I have found it far easier to find a calf for $229 than to find shell at $399.  Just my $.02.

post #11456 of 19334

New Sea Islands from Shoebank. Love them! 

 


Strand: Walnut | McGregor: Chili | Mora 2.0: Bourbon | Cavanaugh: Brown | Sea Island: Bone

Edited by goodwillhinton - 8/25/16 at 2:28pm
post #11457 of 19334

I got an update on my Rutledges - they were delivered today!

post #11458 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmrjfud View Post

Question:
PA in Burgundy Cordovan for $399
Or
PA in Oxblood Calf for $229.

What sez youz?

Personally, if I find Shell in my size for $399 in a model I want, it's trigger pullin time.

post #11459 of 19334

I caved and ordered natty Higgins Mills from the Palo Alto store...$212 is just way too good to pass up.

post #11460 of 19334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMiddles View Post
 

Personally, if I find Shell in my size for $399 in a model I want, it's trigger pullin time.

 

I was just thinking I need to pull the trigger on macneils but I think aldens 975A just looks so much better (personal opinion). For starters the blucher attachment doesnt touch the wing on the side. I might go with Leeds instead. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc