or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 77

post #1141 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

I decided to hit my Park Aves with two light coats of Kiwi Parade Gloss, followed by a light spritzing of water and vigorous brushing.

I am very well aware of the controversy surrounding the silicone that Parade Gloss uses to glaze the leather, and that this can be a detrimental product to use, or at least continue to use for any amount of time, but I wanted to see for myself how much shine I could eke out with the product. I have a black tie wedding coming up, and while I am debating a pair of Carmina black shell wholecuts, I am also considering a pair of Shoebank Carlyles and running them through the Parade Gloss procedure in order to save money.

This is a pair of $50 Ebay-sourced Park Aves that I purchased simply to have a cap-toe balmoral in the closet, and that I have worn twice in the years that I have owned them. Given the circumstances (funerals), neither event was a particularly joyful occasion. frown.gif







The resulting gloss and reflectivity is definitely enhanced over my best results using traditional polishes, but the Parade Gloss did smell like either Goof Off or Nevr-Dull, so some serious chemicals were likely at work. I would have no problem believing that this product is caustic to use longterm on quality leather.

These pics are from yesterday immediately following the initial polishing. I've continued to brush them sporadically and the gloss has perceptively increased. While I do not think it quite matches the hammering reflections of either black shell or patent leather, and likely due to poor technique since I've seen mirror shines result from this product in Internet photos, I do think a Carlyle that has been similarly polished would be acceptable for black tie.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, as always. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
These shoes would also be acceptable for a black-tie event.
post #1142 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

These shoes would also be acceptable for a black-tie event.

Do you think so? I rarely tux it up, and I'm on the fence due to the PA's cap toe, which seems to be a no-no from what I have read. But then again, it's all about how strictly one needs to adhere to the "rules," since there's no way I'm spending money on a patent leather wholecut.

I think a Carlyle second is a relatively inexpensive option that would work better with its plain toe, but given that this event requires substantial travel expenses for both the engagement party and the wedding itself (I am a groomsman), I would like to minimize costs.

I have yet to hear what style tuxedo I am going to be directed to purchase, so that factors into my budget as well.

Thanks for the help!
post #1143 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post

I agree with this. Given your current collection, something in Chili would be a great addition. Check out the Yorktown. If I were to add another Chili, that is what I would look at first.
Ooh, yeah, the Yorktown is a good look if the last works for you. Sexy shoe also available in Oxblood if that's your preference.
post #1144 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

Do you think so? I rarely tux it up, and I'm on the fence due to the PA's cap toe, which seems to be a no-no from what I have read. But then again, it's all about how strictly one needs to adhere to the "rules," since there's no way I'm spending money on a patent leather wholecut.

I think a Carlyle second is a relatively inexpensive option that would work better with its plain toe, but given that this event requires substantial travel expenses for both the engagement party and the wedding itself (I am a groomsman), I would like to minimize costs.

I have yet to hear what style tuxedo I am going to be directed to purchase, so that factors into my budget as well.

Thanks for the help!
While I would prefer the Carlyle to the Park Avenue for this too, either would work as long as they're well polished. As little as you wear the PA, I just don't see a need for a second rarely-worn formal black shoe.
post #1145 of 17754
My suede Strands arrived this week, so I thought I should take a family picture.
post #1146 of 17754

While on the subject of formal shoes, here's a picture of my Ritz black patent leather pumps........

post #1147 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

My suede Strands arrived this week, so I thought I should take a family picture.

I'm really sorry I missed the boat on those. Your bourbon looks great, too!
post #1148 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

My suede Strands arrived this week, so I thought I should take a family picture.

Is the one on the far right suppose to be Olive?...it seems brighter than I remembered the Olive tone being.
post #1149 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin782 View Post

Is the one on the far right suppose to be Olive?...it seems brighter than I remembered the Olive tone being.
The shoe on the right is the olive Rush Street. They are a little darker than they look in that picture.
post #1150 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post

Hey folks - so the folks that said me sticking at 6 pairs was naive were absolutely correct. Need some help picking my next 3-4 purchases. Here's what I have:

Black:
Hopkinsons

Walnut:
Madison Park wing tips
Carlyles
Rogues
First Ave Boots

Oxblood:
Daltons

Burnished Brown;
First Ave boots

I'm leaning towards the following:
Carlyle and/or Park Ave in Oxblood
Brown and/or Black Mcallister

Keep in mind my office is business casual so most days are chinos or slacks with a dress shirt and occasional tie. I'll throw on a suit a few times a month just because, which is why I only have one pair of black shoes. I've upped my cap to no more than 12 pairs due to closet space. I also have a pair of black rogues I was going return.

I would go to the shoe bank and get a bourbon or chili shoe, like a fifth ave, mcgregor or flatiron.

post #1151 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

While I would prefer the Carlyle to the Park Avenue for this too, either would work as long as they're well polished. As little as you wear the PA, I just don't see a need for a second rarely-worn formal black shoe. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Nice. I had not seen that shoe chart before, and was unaware that the cap-toe was that acceptable for black tie. Thank you, mreams99, you have absolutely helped me free resources that will be better spent elsewhere.

Roycru, those pumps look great.

Have a great remainder to your weekend, gentlemen!
post #1152 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

I would go to the shoe bank and get a bourbon or chili shoe, like a fifth ave, mcgregor or flatiron.

I purchased a Bourbon Strand - color is a little too greenish for me. It's going to be returned with a couple others soon.
post #1153 of 17754
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post

I purchased a Bourbon Strand - color is a little too greenish for me. It's going to be returned with a couple others soon.
I LOVE my bourbon Strands. The coloring is great.
You might be able to tone down some of the greenish tint with a shoe cream that has some reddish tones to it. I have a jar of "brick" Meltonian shoe cream that comes to mind.
post #1154 of 17754
chili Madison Parks came in finally from Nordstrom. perfect fit. kinda confused tho the website said dark chili. but the box theyre in just says chili. is dark chili much different than chili?

image_zpswouj2crm.jpg
post #1155 of 17754
The newer "chili" is the same as "dark chili".
Those look great!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc