or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 736

post #11026 of 17560

looks like the academy and higgins mill is on sale sooner than I thought.

post #11027 of 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnation View Post
 

looks like the academy and higgins mill is on sale sooner than I thought.


Yep.  $250 is pretty good for the Higgins.  Whoever designed the Union should be keelhauled.  Meh on the others.

post #11028 of 17560
100% agree with ace - if you're looking at the Higgins at all, now's as good a time as any. That union - whoa. You'd think the guy who came up with the Newberg would know when to give it a rest.

One more thing - no more trash talking the player. The original (which btw was on the 222, single oak sole, no storm welt) is still my favorite shoe of all time. I've seen the 2.0 but don't own it - I think it's around in brown grain only and is on the 108.
post #11029 of 17560

I bought and then subsequently returned a pair of the brown grain Player 2.0.  I think @Gabru owns them and his photos pushed me over the edge into buying them.

 

I had thought at the time that they were the 222 last as well, and since a 9E in the RL 222 shoes seems to work well but is even a hair snug width wise, I figured 9EEE would be worth trying (the only size in the Player 2.0 I could find at the time).  Boy was I wrong.  They felt too long and way too wide, like clown shoes.  They weren't bad looking at all, and seemed well made.  They have a dainite sole.

 

I don't recall if I took any photos, I'll have to go back and look.

post #11030 of 17560

Also, Higgins Mill at $250 seems like a crazy value (unless the quality is a lot lower than expected or something).  I'd love to see it with a mini lug sole.

post #11031 of 17560
Does anyone have a good belt recommendation for the natural CXL Academy?
post #11032 of 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

Also, Higgins Mill at $250 seems like a crazy value (unless the quality is a lot lower than expected or something).  I'd love to see it with a mini lug sole.

 

I looked them over pretty carefully at the SF store, and was really impressed.  I'm not a fan of Dainite, but the guy did say they could do a custom sole (I'm not sure if that is right or not - isn't on the website, but know they can do stuff the website can't).  In any case, I think $250 for that boot is outstanding.  

 

I'm trying very hard to resist the Academy.  It felt like an Alden shoe to me...

 

If I didn't have a stitchdown horsehide Truman derby on order, I would have swiped my card already.  Now I'm debating whether a natty CXL and a mid-brown plain-toe derby are too close, especially when I think the natty CXL is almost a jeans-only wear for me (looks very tan-on-tan with khakis to me, and I'm not sure that works).

 

arg.


Edited by M635Guy - 8/21/16 at 5:46am
post #11033 of 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB35 View Post

Does anyone have a good belt recommendation for the natural CXL Academy?

 



The Sun River comes in Natural CXL, and is a good match.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/sale-belts-1/sun-river-casual-belt/SF10827.html?dwvar_SF10827_color=82604
post #11034 of 17560
Don't think I can pass up this fall colors sale... Natty Higgins Mill, I'm coming for you!
post #11035 of 17560

Higgins Mill natural cxl "in stock: ships in 1-2 business days"

 

Higgins Mill brown cxl "in stock: ships in 1-2 business days"

 

I would usually alter the sole, may even happen in the future.  But, at $250 in stock + in my size, dainite is entirely acceptable.  

 

Would love HM boots in a wide variety of materials and colors.  CXL, Dublin, Kudu or maybe suede.  And, this would be a fantastic winter boot: shearling lined with a reverse welt and lugged sole. 

 

Since the Academy is a 4 week wait, I'll pause to think about it, but, natural cxl is different, wonderful, and I expect to grab one of those too. 

post #11036 of 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

I bought and then subsequently returned a pair of the brown grain Player 2.0.  I think @Gabru owns them and his photos pushed me over the edge into buying them.

 

I had thought at the time that they were the 222 last as well, and since a 9E in the RL 222 shoes seems to work well but is even a hair snug width wise, I figured 9EEE would be worth trying (the only size in the Player 2.0 I could find at the time).  Boy was I wrong.  They felt too long and way too wide, like clown shoes.  They weren't bad looking at all, and seemed well made.  They have a dainite sole.

 

I don't recall if I took any photos, I'll have to go back and look.

I did purchased and later returned them, as i didn't like the medallion on the toe ( it was as if someone took a needle and started punching holes without any design/pattern).

 

Here is a pic of those ..

 

 

As I was really looking for a SWB at the time, I replaced them with this pair in brown cordovan from C&J...

 

 

Non AE!! (Click to show)
DSC_0007.JPG
post #11037 of 17560
Gahhh, I was doing so good at restraining myself on AE purchases, but with how I've been wanting some work boots anyways, $250 for the Higgins Mill might be too good for me to pass on....
post #11038 of 17560
I'll have to second/third/fourth/fifth the above. Probably ending up with a Higgins in natty cxl this week. That's too good a price
post #11039 of 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post
 

Since the Academy is a 4 week wait, I'll pause to think about it, but, natural cxl is different, wonderful, and I expect to grab one of those too. 

Not a 4-week wait in all sizes.

 

It is a 4-week wait in what (I think) is my size (I was told in the store it runs like the Higgins Mill, which was a TTS 12 D), but 1-2 days in my 11.5 D size for 5-last & 201 last.  

 

It does make it easier to wait for the next sale at a 4-week wait - just wondering if the sizing guidance was correct.  Anyone talk to a SA they really trust on these yet?

post #11040 of 17560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnation View Post

 
looks like the academy and higgins mill is on sale sooner than I thought.


Yep.  $250 is pretty good for the Higgins.  Whoever designed the Union should be keelhauled.  Meh on the others.

Is the Union made of patent leather? Plastic? Highly polished corrected cobbler? I get worried when the description of the shoe is so vague. This is a straight to video shoe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc