or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 70

post #1036 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebh979 View Post

Mojave mo problems.



Additional props to Daniel at the river oaks store in Houston, for setting me up with some first-class bourbon mcgregors and dealing with my neuroses.

Great looking shoes! Always wish I could have gotten a pair -- but as usual, they weren't made in my narrow size.

post #1037 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post

1. Walnut Mcgregor
2. Chili Mcgregor
3. Walnut Rogue

Which do you recommend. Many business casual, slacks and sport coats, occasionally with a suit.

Thx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Both are brougued bluchers, so I do not think there is much difference in the level of formality. The Rogue is a leather sole, as is the McGregor, unless you opt for the Dainite in the McGregor, so they are both equal in that respect. Given this, the main difference is the color. The walnut Rogue, which I own, is not as versatile with multiple colors, IMO. I would choose the chili McGregor just because I think it works with more colors and it is also great looking.


Interesting you feel the walnut isn't versatile. I have walnut Mcallister and I get a lot of wear out of them. Maybe it's the brogue that makes them look/feel darker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

For me, with my taste, clothes, etc, I find that the lighter color of walnut they used in the Rouge is not as versatile as the chili shoes I have. The walnut I had on my shoes was a little lighter than desired and I darkened it some with chili polish. I have noticed that some of the other walnut shoes they make seem to be darker than that used for the Rogue. For me, it was a comparison of the two colors. YMMV.

post #1038 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

 

For me, with my taste, clothes, etc, I find that the lighter color of walnut they used in the Rouge is not as versatile as the chili shoes I have. The walnut I had on my shoes was a little lighter than desired and I darkened it some with chili polish. I have noticed that some of the other walnut shoes they make seem to be darker than that used for the Rogue. For me, it was a comparison of the two colors. YMMV.

When people talk about darkening walnut or changing shoe color through the use of polish, is this change permanent or does it come off with conditioner?

post #1039 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMiddles View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

 

For me, with my taste, clothes, etc, I find that the lighter color of walnut they used in the Rouge is not as versatile as the chili shoes I have. The walnut I had on my shoes was a little lighter than desired and I darkened it some with chili polish. I have noticed that some of the other walnut shoes they make seem to be darker than that used for the Rogue. For me, it was a comparison of the two colors. YMMV.

When people talk about darkening walnut or changing shoe color through the use of polish, is this change permanent or does it come off with conditioner?

 

It seems the consensus is that polish can always be stripped off and reapplied. Conditioner/cleaner may tend to remove some of the polish. Other products are more aggressive and remove more. Actually changing the color of the leather with a dye can't be stripped off. Others on the forum or in the shoe care thread will have far more authoritative and accurate opinions in these matters.

post #1040 of 17538

Checked out the new Paramus outlet on my lunch break yesterday.  Not sure if this was posted before, but the grand opening sale is 15% off non-clearance stuff.  They seemed to be well stocked.  I tried on a few things, but managed to make it out with my money still in pocket. Tried on some boots, but I guess I'm just not in a buying mode...

post #1041 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebh979 View Post

Mojave mo problems.



Additional props to Daniel at the river oaks store in Houston, for setting me up with some first-class bourbon mcgregors and dealing with my neuroses.

 

I bought my Strands from Daniel as well. He definitely knows his shoes. I've meaning to email him to see when the next sale is so I can get a new pair.

post #1042 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post
 

Checked out the new Paramus outlet on my lunch break yesterday.  Not sure if this was posted before, but the grand opening sale is 15% off non-clearance stuff.  They seemed to be well stocked.  I tried on a few things, but managed to make it out with my money still in pocket. Tried on some boots, but I guess I'm just not in a buying mode...

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

 

I'm so screwed now. 

post #1043 of 17538

can anyone convince me why I would need walnut Daltons when I already have CXL Long Branch?  Yes color is a different shade, calf is a little sharper than CXL, and the lug sole on the LB makes them more casual. But don't they serve a similar purpose? Anyone who has both care to comment on if they both get worn?

post #1044 of 17538

Don't think, just do.

 

post #1045 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post
 

can anyone convince me why I would need walnut Daltons when I already have CXL Long Branch?  Yes color is a different shade, calf is a little sharper than CXL, and the lug sole on the LB makes them more casual. But don't they serve a similar purpose? Anyone who has both care to comment on if they both get worn?

Long Branch = Trattoria....Dalton's = Ristorante

post #1046 of 17538
Quote:
I bought my Strands from Daniel as well. He definitely knows his shoes. I've meaning to email him to see when the next sale is so I can get a new pair.

Daniel is great. Next sale is the anniversary sale in April.
post #1047 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

I think I am getting the new double monk on crepe....that is right up my alley and I wish the Brisbane sneaker had tan rubber instead of white but who knows on clearence that might go well with my summer wardrobe

Ditto on the dub monks...Peanut Newbergs are definitely mine..thanks for the heads up
post #1048 of 17538
During the last clearance sale I picked up a pair of Odenwalds and Hagerstown but am on the fence about keeping the Hagerstown. I typicall wear a 7E but got them in 7 since they aren't made in wide and am concerned they might be a bit tight, specially around the picky toe and instep. Any thoughts on whether I should return them or wether they will stretch out over time.



post #1049 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post

During the last clearance sale I picked up a pair of Odenwalds and Hagerstown but am on the fence about keeping the Hagerstown. I typicall wear a 7E but got them in 7 since they aren't made in wide and am concerned they might be a bit tight, specially around the picky toe and instep. Any thoughts on whether I should return them or wether they will stretch out over time.



First of all, they will definitely stretch; second of all, how thick are those socks? I'd think they were designed for sockless (or very thin sock) wear. Those look almost like fair isles, which are generally a hefty weave.
post #1050 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

First of all, they will definitely stretch; second of all, how thick are those socks? I'd think they were designed for sockless (or very thin sock) wear. Those look almost like fair isles, which are generally a hefty weave.

The socks are actually relatively thin, not much thicker than regular dress socks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc