or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc - Page 686

post #10276 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCRich View Post

I need more walnut in my life and more pebble grain. Walnut grain??

I've got my vintage Florsheim pebble grain LWBs on today. I'd love to compare them to a MacNeil in person.

post #10277 of 17564
@peppercorn78
My brannock is a 9.5d. I have both.
My Patriots took forever to break in because I have a high instep but I found the toe box to be roomy in width. Now that they've broken in, they aren't painful at all and it is by far my best fitting loafer When it's on my foot, it fits like a glove. The Northlake started tighter and felt narrower in the toe box but stretched more. In hindsight, I should have manned up through the 9d.

If you have also worn a Cavanaugh and are interested with my experience with that shoe:

The Cavanaugh, I have in a 9.5d and the fit of it doesn't work by the end of the day my foot keeps getting jammed into the toe box and the heel is slipping. They fit way worse after the break in, than in the store. They also just seem very meh on my foot and they tend to bulge out at the sides and look boxy, if they weren't navy suede would never wear.
Edited by LeeMerrill - 8/11/16 at 6:50am
post #10278 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

And NOW it's another 20% off
(along with all other clearance items).

I am weak - a pair of navy suede Dundees is heading my way. AT 55% off, why not?

Chris
post #10279 of 17564
If anyone wanted to buy a size 17(!!!) shell Grayson, here it is; if you have normal people feet, maybe turn it into a suit?

Edit: retailed for $525! Man, wish I'd been in on those days.
post #10280 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

If anyone wanted to buy a size 17(!!!) shell Grayson, here it is; if you have normal people feet, maybe turn it into a suit?

Edit: retailed for $525! Man, wish I'd been in on those days.

 

Strange that they don't have the usual dovetail heel that AE uses for shell shoes. Maybe doves don't grow that big?

post #10281 of 17564

Considering the brown Odenwalds were calling my name at $177, they're pretty much screaming at me for $137. Guess I'll be calling during lunch today to order a pair.

post #10282 of 17564
@peppercorn78 Do you have anything else similar to the northland - like a 114 last loafer or something like that? The patriot has a really odd fit. Pure length I feel like the northland was about the same. Northland heel is more normal, less narrow. Toe is pretty roomy. Do you have a Kirkwood / maritime? Very similar, just a little narrower and more rigid. For the price they're a steal.
post #10283 of 17564
Ugh. Extra 20% off finally got me to cave on a pair of merlots plus belt.
post #10284 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post
 

Considering the brown Odenwalds were calling my name at $177, they're pretty much screaming at me for $137. Guess I'll be calling during lunch today to order a pair.

 

I have been wanting to get a pair of the Strandmok 2.0s but just not for the price. I also was unsure about grey suede or the brown suede. I landed on the grey because I have the sea island in olive and mcgregors in brogue suede. These sales and the AE ebay store are killing me though. Like I need to setup a deliberate rotation schedule going forward and stop buying new ones. On the bright side my closet smells of leather and cedar...

post #10285 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post

How did she shine them if you don't mind my asking? I typically use a variation of shoe snob shining though when I have AE premium polish for colors outside of black I tend to skip the cream polish part. For higher shin I use neutral on the cap or toe of the shoe and heal since I don't find the premium polish to leave a high shine.  

1. AE Premium polish to restore the color in the shoe.

2. "Spit" shine using a little AE Brown wax.
post #10286 of 17564

Dundees today.

 

 

post #10287 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

@peppercorn78 Do you have anything else similar to the northland - like a 114 last loafer or something like that? The patriot has a really odd fit. Pure length I feel like the northland was about the same. Northland heel is more normal, less narrow. Toe is pretty roomy. Do you have a Kirkwood / maritime? Very similar, just a little narrower and more rigid. For the price they're a steal.


I haz no loafers. :(

 

comes from having very odd shaped feet. but, at 100$ish, it's worth a try. Can always return if sad trombone...

 

thanks for helping, tho! :cheers:


Edited by peppercorn78 - 8/11/16 at 8:15am
post #10288 of 17564

Has anyone had problems with the finish coming off on Walnut Strands? I purchased a pair last October-ish, and after a few months the finish was coming off pretty significantly. It was to the point that I walked into my local AE store while wearing them and the two sales associates immediately noticed something was wrong with them. They replaced them at no charge. However, after another few months with the new pair, it looks like the finish is started to come off them as well, albeit not quite so bad. I've tried polishing them, but the lighter areas where the finish is coming off is still very visible. And I'm almost certain it's not just due to my roughing up the shoes. I have another pair of Strands and two pairs of McAllisters with some scuffs, but they don't look like the finishing is coming off. If I remember correctly, the sales associate told me last October when I get the first pair that they had recently changed the Walnut finishing, and I wonder if that has something to do with my difficulties.

post #10289 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post
 

 

I have had them for several months now.  They were in basically semi-new condition with some light wear on the soles.  There is a slight lump in the footbed that falls right behind my toes so I don't really notice it, but I'm sure that's why they were returned and came into Dobondo's possession.

 

 

sweet and you were able to get them in the merlot color too! didn't realize how much the 201 last fit better for high instep until i saw your pic. are you the same size in 201 as you are in the 65 last?

post #10290 of 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2511 View Post
 

 

I have been wanting to get a pair of the Strandmok 2.0s but just not for the price. I also was unsure about grey suede or the brown suede. I landed on the grey because I have the sea island in olive and mcgregors in brogue suede. These sales and the AE ebay store are killing me though. Like I need to setup a deliberate rotation schedule going forward and stop buying new ones. On the bright side my closet smells of leather and cedar...



I feel your pain. I've had to resist a number of opportunities that were so close to being trigger-worthy. Unfortunately, with a kid getting ready for braces in our house, funds are low. I haven't bought anything since January, and that was a pair of Normandy boots from our favorite eBay seller. Last purchase from AE/Shoebank was over a year ago, when they had the tan saddle Gobi for $97. I'm currently about 2 boots and 2 shoes shy of a really solid, year-round, Chicago-weather rotation, so I'm trying to maximize value here with any future purchase. Brown Odenwald seems to really hit that sweet spot for a casual work environment and weekend usage.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc