• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any suggestions for something similar to these Gucci loafers?

huskyzealot

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying these Gucci loafers, and am looking for opinions. I know Gucci doesn't make top quality shoes, but I like their look and haven't found anything similar. They would mostly be worn for more casual (non-suit) workdays especially when it might be wet outside (they have rubber soles unlike the rest of my shoes) and maybe the ocasional night out.

A few questions:
Will I ever find these on sale? If so, where?
Can I resole these in a few years?
Is there something similar I should consider instead (same price or cheaper)?

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...8752&ev19=2:10

I also liked these Ferragamo's but they were out of my price range.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...550cat10580743

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Forgot to ask: If I do go with Gucci, what size should I get?

For reference I am a:
10.5 D in Allen Edmonds
10.5 D Bruno Magli
11 D in Ferragamo
11 D in Cole Haan

THANKS

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlikely for you to resole the Gucci loafer, given it's non-welted construction.

The Ferragamo loafer you linked is from the Tramezza line (as evident by the price and the cloth brand tag on the insole). This is actually welted and can be resoled.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Unlikely for you to resole the Gucci loafer, given it's non-welted construction.

This is what I used to think based on what I read, but my friend recently resoled his dancing shoes, glued leather sole, at a local shoe repair shop. They looked as good as new. According to the shoe repair shop guy, glued leather sole and rubber sole shoes can be repaired.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you like an elongated Italian-style loafer, how about something like this: Testoni Loafer? I think it will be better constructed than the Gucci. Of course, you'd have to go with brown instead of black.
smile.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
This is what I used to think based on what I read, but my friend recently resoled his dancing shoes, glued leather sole, at a local shoe repair shop. They looked as good as new. According to the shoe repair shop guy, glued leather sole and rubber sole shoes can be repaired.

Yes it's "repair-able", but to re-sole something is entirely different process. My shoe cobbler was able to repair my gucci loafer and my Tod loafer, using traditional glue job and such, but resole them? No way.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Yes it's "repair-able", but to re-sole something is entirely different process. My shoe cobbler was able to repair my gucci loafer and my Tod loafer, using traditional glue job and such, but resole them? No way.

When I said repair, I meant to say re-sole.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huskyzealot
Forgot to ask: If I do go with Gucci, what size should I get?

For reference I am a:
10.5 D in Allen Edmonds
10.5 D Bruno Magli
11 D in Ferragamo
11 D in Cole Haan

THANKS

Ferragamo runs narrow, so perhaps you are sizing up half for width?
COle haan that i tried on sizes a bit small.
AE and BM are both usually true to size.

For Gucci loafers (although sizing is wild on gucci) usually runs half size large.

You will need a 10 D in Gucci loafer. it will stretch out.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
A few questions:
Will I ever find these on sale? If so, where?
Yes, you can find most Gucci shoes (non-classic models) at their end of year sale at 40% off . Found at Gucci boutiqes, Neiman Marcus, few Nordstrom, Saks, and Outlet store in various places one I know of in Desert Hills Premium outlets in Cabazon.
Can I resole these in a few years?
Most gucci loafers leather soled ones, are very thin island soles. Try wearing them only indoors /inside areas. Outside wearing will quickly deteriorate the soles and will need to be repaired by Gucci. send them back to gucci, they will send to their outsource cobbler who will resole it fairly. cost is around $60-100 i heard.

Is there something similar I should consider instead (same price or cheaper)?
Yes, there are alot of other shoe makes that make bit loafers and similar designs with alot of more complicated constructions and better materials. However, if you want to own one iconic bit loafer, Gucci is the original.

answers

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
answers
Shoe, Does your answer to the resoling question change being that these are rubber soled shoes? Also, do any of the sales you mentioned happen online? I am in Seattle and I am not sure if Nordstrom carries these shoes. Does Gucci do any sort of post Christmas sale? I will be in Chicago all of next week. Thanks

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i think it is the same for rubber soled loafers as well,but that is my guess .

the rubber soled gucci loafers will last alot longer than the leather island sole. in fact, it may outlast the upper leather and insole of your shoes.

the gucci site has shoes on sale advertised, but im not sure you can buy online from there.
you can call up any one of their boutiques and inquire, however , im not sure if they ship or take phone orders.

Gucci always has an annual sale that starts around beginning of december and through part of january.
the rest of the merchandise gets sent to their outlet stores.

Nordstrom in Woodland Hills, CA carries a line of Gucci shoes and they will be having a men's sale right on the 26th of december . call them and they will ship to you.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Shoe,

Does your answer to the resoling question change being that these are rubber soled shoes?

Also, do any of the sales you mentioned happen online? I am in Seattle and I am not sure if Nordstrom carries these shoes. Does Gucci do any sort of post Christmas sale? I will be in Chicago all of next week.

Thanks

Nordstrom in Bellevue and downtown Seattle carry Gucci shoes.
I saw some Gucci loafers with the bone thingie on sale at the Bellevue store a few days ago. I think they had another style but it could have been Dolce & Gabbana.

There are usually a few Gucci styles on sale at the half yearly men's sale which starts Dec 26.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads